great SH-101-driven tracks

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
atomfahrzeug
Gear: arp
korg
roland
tandberg
Band: 13 kHz

Re: great SH-101-driven tracks

Post by atomfahrzeug » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:59 pm

Richard Gear and Computer Controlled:

Poor choice of words. By saying 'more serious' I was not trying to imply that the SH101 is somehow a joke or something. I just thought that with current prices 101s are commanding, the SH101 is not a whole lot of synthesizer (in terms of capabilities, features, and even sound) for 1000. But that's not to say that the SH101 is not one of my favorite sounding synths ever; actually it would be in my top ten. However, I've been trying to minimize my setup to one or two synths and a drum machine lately, and the 101 is not exactly an all-arounder, due to its somewhat limited architecture and module choice.

So, I used the money gained from selling the 101 and bought a mint Korg Mono/Poly, which is leagues more capable than the 101, and has a great sound as well. Unfortunately, it was not exactly for me- I loved the SSM filter, and the overall sound as well as the amazing list of features, but I just felt that it suffered some deficits in the low end. I can't put my finger on it, but it lacked the punchy bass sounds which I personally consider a requirement for any decent analog mono I own. Also, I had expected it to tonally sound like a Polysix, but I found it to have somewhat slower envelopes and more generic sounding oscillators (in my opinion). Probably because the Polysix uses Korg oscs and SSM envelopes, while the Mono/Poly uses SSM oscs and Korg envelopes. Anyways, I ended up trading the Mono/Poly for what is now my current synth: an Arp Odyssey Mk. I whiteface with cv/gate and patchpoint mod. I ramble...

I guess what I meant to say was that for the current insanely inflated prices the 101s and 202s and even 09s and 2s command (I bought my 09 for 350 and traded it (straight) for a mint red 101), I was able to basically sell a somewhat limited single osc mono I paid 350 for and use the proceeds to ultimately acquire the most desirable of the Arp Odysseys with an awesome mod and silky smooth sliders and great keyboard. Is the Mono/Poly or Odyssey more 'serious' than a 101 or 09? I don't know. But they certainly are, at least, as great sounding as the 101 and have loads more features, and are possibly more rare/coveted.

Apologies for my long winded, somewhat off-topic explanation.

The 101's a great synth. Anyone have any more great 101 driven tracks???
Please email me instead of PMing me. I can be reached at adamrabraham@gmail.com... Thank you!!!

Richard Gear

Post by Richard Gear » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:12 am

Sure sure, I get your point. I had one Odyssey 7 or 8 years ago and I had to struggle to find it a place in the mix so I sold it. But maybe it would fit better in my new style. As I said earlier, musical application is the most imnportant factor so if the ARP is more useful for your music, that has to be a smart move! Have fun with your Ody. :D

steampoweredsequencer
Gear: Two canes for walking, indestructible contact microphone, tetsuo implants, half broken nord lead, two weirdo guitars,

Post by steampoweredsequencer » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:42 am

wesleymino wrote:Skanfrom's albums sound like they're almost entirely sh 101, with occasional tr 606. Great stuff.
A 101, a yamaha sy-88 i think (for samples), and very likely a 606.
It was all produced with nearly nothing.

nitkov
Gear: vlt-1, juno 60, poly-800, ptx-8, dx-11, K5, s2800, nord rack, er-1...
Band: alone, ilegalne emocije

Post by nitkov » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:21 am

steampoweredsequencer wrote:
wesleymino wrote:Skanfrom's albums sound like they're almost entirely sh 101, with occasional tr 606. Great stuff.
A 101, a yamaha sy-88 i think (for samples), and very likely a 606.
It was all produced with nearly nothing.
his 'labelboss' claimed that he used 101 exclusively, even for the rhythm. supposedly, the only drum machine he used was kr-55 as a "homage" to micky mike of snowy red. who knows!?...

an outstanding sh101 track is "Red Birds Will Fly Out Of The East And Destroy Paris In A Night" by coil, from musick to play in the dark. according to the interview with coil, it's 90% improvisation on sh-101 by thighpaulsandra. it's insanely good...
vlt-1, juno 60, poly-800 [soon to go], ptx-8, dx-11, K5, s2800, nord rack, er-1...

Richard Gear

Post by Richard Gear » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:02 am

An other example :

...and an interview:

I would not buy gear from him though... ;)

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:17 pm

As mentioned further back about many of these lines, the SH-101 has emotion on it's side. That's why such simple synths like this one are so revered and why they can still fetch a high price (combined with all the funky little features) - the sound is desirable (And not just/only for house/acid etc). And seems to nail the tone you want without fuss. A simple synth is great when it sounds alive and has a great filter and emotion.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:27 pm

I would contribute to that thought the possibility that the emotion comes from you, and the simplicity and immediacy of it allow you to express this more readily.

Lately I have enjoyed sending the SH-101's CV out to my Oberheim patch-panel SEM, and the SEM filter output goes to a mod on my SH-101 for Audio Input to filter. It's a pleasantly welcomed fat and round sound that's fantastic for leads, and adds new dimension to 101 sequences and arpeggios. The SEM maximum output level is hot enough to saturate the 101's filter, which gives a great edge that still keeps the warmth.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Ice_Machine_01
Gear: Roland SH 101. Roland TR 707. MicroKorg. Ensoniq ESQ-1. Seil DK 600 (broken).

Post by Ice_Machine_01 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:25 am

I actually just bought a Roland SH 101, (with mod grip and Roland arm strap AWESOME!) it came a couple of days ago! I love it I can't brake myself away from the thing! The sound of the VCO and 24 Db. low pass filter, ah my god it's beautiful! Well, enough of been a synth creep here's my contributions! :D

Xeno and Oaklander- Preuss

Etienne Jaumet- Mental Vortex

Projectile

Post by Projectile » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:18 pm

Great thread, but I just wanted to point out that Tobacco's Yum Yum Cult from the original post is definitely not an sh101. It doesn't really sound like one, and as far a I know Tobacco has never used an sh101 on any of his music. Most of the BMSR melodies are a Yamaha CS series. On his own stuff he also uses few other old analogs sampled onto an mpc, but no sh101 from what I've gathered.

Richard Gear

Post by Richard Gear » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:29 pm

Projectile wrote:Great thread, but I just wanted to point out that Tobacco's Yum Yum Cult from the original post is definitely not an sh101. It doesn't really sound like one, and as far a I know Tobacco has never used an sh101 on any of his music. Most of the BMSR melodies are a Yamaha CS series. On his own stuff he also uses few other old analogs sampled onto an mpc, but no sh101 from what I've gathered.

What??! I really thought Tobacco was 100% sh-101/mellotron [emulation]. Are you sure they don't even have one 101?

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:50 pm

Really sorry for the OT but I was actually going to make a whole thread asking what gear Tobacco uses, he's got an awesome lo-fi/gritty sound. Anyway i dug up an interview with some relevant bits:
The more wild synth sounds that come in are from my trusty old go-to synth that I’ve kept a secret all these years. All four years that I’ve owned it. [Laughs.] I’m not sure if I even remember why it’s a secret anymore, but I’ll stick with it. Anyway, it’s analog and has just one oscillator but it sounds better than most three-oscillator synths to my ear.
Q: What are five pieces of gear you couldn’t live without?
A: [...] Portable suitcase modular synth

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:15 am

When I hear the 101/202 in a track I do miss it... but anytime I get a chance to mess with one again... I remember it's "poppy" envs and I remember why I sold it..

Projectile

Post by Projectile » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:12 am

smoothcriminal wrote:Really sorry for the OT but I was actually going to make a whole thread asking what gear Tobacco uses, he's got an awesome lo-fi/gritty sound. Anyway i dug up an interview with some relevant bits:
Please do! Huge Tobacco/BMSR fan here. I've gathered a pretty good idea of his kit over the years form various interviews, photos, and discussions but a lot of it is still a mystery. Nowhere have I ever heard of him using an sh101 though, but I could be wrong.

I saw BMSR live a few years ago, and they had a huge, amazing sound! Nothing like the lofi grittiness of their albums. It was like a swirly-analog-synth-psychedelic-orgy.

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:19 am

Hehe =o]
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:51 pm

The rolling bass line on OMD's "Locomotion" (1984) was apparently done with a SH-101 driven by a Roland sequencer:

Two SH-101's were used for the "motorbike-out-of-control" noises featured in the intro to A Flock Of Seagulls's "(It's not me) Talking" (1983):

The SH-101 also does the bassline on Go West's "We Close Our Eyes" (1985). Btw, this song was also used in the 1985 Italian horror movie Dèmoni:

"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979