Sequential Circuits MAX

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JNeidlinger
Gear: MS-10, MS-2000, CZ-3000, JX-3P, JX-8P, ER-1, MSQ-700, Prophet-600, Poly-61, x0xb0x, OB-SX, Moog Slayer EX-800, Polivoks Filter, Yamaha GS-2, and on...

Sequential Circuits MAX

Post by JNeidlinger » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:33 pm

I picked up one of these over the weekend for very cheap. Even cheaper than the standard for Poly-800's. I find this astonishing as these are essentially SCI Six-Trak's inside. Yes they are only programmable over MIDI, but they have a very complete MIDI-CC implementation. In today's wealth of cheap MIDI controllers and computers, I don't see the big deal with that.

The build quality is a lot better than I expected too, yes a bit cheap, but the chassis is at least metal. Replace the cheapo plastic end-caps with wood, and its a nice little synth.

Real VCO's. Real VCF's. Cheaper than a Poly-800.

Why the hate?

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Re: Sequential Circuits MAX

Post by StepLogik » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:51 pm

i didn't realize there was so much hate directed at the poor little MAX :)

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:54 pm

I think many just don't like the sound and sloooow envelopes. That and the drawbacks you listed already is why they are so cheap. To each their own though and if you can make it relevent to your music and like the sound then it's all good! But yeah, not a bad bang for the buck even with the drawbacks.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:09 pm

Lack of lust isn't always hate.

I remember my jaw dropping when my local Sequential dealer played the MAX demo songs for me. I had no real idea what linear sequencing (as opposed to step-style) was capable of before that. Of course, the ESQ-1 came out a year later and that ended my MAX lust 8-)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.