Roland Gaia

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
R.L
Gear: lots of stuff
Band: The Roy McCoy Band/ Man Vs Sam

Roland Gaia

Post by R.L » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:29 pm

I've been thinking about getting into more modern synthesizers and I've been watching a lot of videos and demos, but I wanted to ask what's your 5 cents on the Roland Gaia? I personally think it's nifty but I tend to play a lot of bar shows and I was wondering if it could hold up since my Last Roland was more then a lemon.
Any forsight would be greatly appreciated.
Salamat Po (thanks)
Roger R.L H3RT2BZ
Moog MiniMoog, Yamaha CP-30, Yamaha DX-7, Ensoniq ASR-10, Ensoniq ASR-X, Rhodes MRK 3, Looking for a Roland Super Jupiter, and JP-8000

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Re: Roland Gaia

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:49 pm

R.L wrote:I've been thinking about getting into more modern synthesizers and I've been watching a lot of videos and demos, but I wanted to ask what's your 5 cents on the Roland Gaia? I personally think it's nifty but I tend to play a lot of bar shows and I was wondering if it could hold up since my Last Roland was more then a lemon.
Any forsight would be greatly appreciated.
Salamat Po (thanks)
Roger R.L H3RT2BZ
I thought it looked cool but sounded thin. I only did a demo at the music store.

What last Roland was a lemon for you?
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:55 pm

I wouldn't give Roland any of my cash, they just keep recycling the same rubbish over and over and over again

Hello JP-8080 meets SH-32 meets SH-201 with some pro's and cons
This synth is about as exciting as the Novation Ultranova...another god damn Supernova with stupidly thin lame sounding OSC's

To be honest the SH-32 is a great sounding synth if you program it and can do some lovely pads It's not great cos it has SH written on it or cos it's "Analogue Modeling" which imo is another story but cos it has character, can't comment on the JP but the 201 sucked balls I thought.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Getting off topic...back to the OP.

Again, what Roland did you have a bad experience with?

When you say "more modern" what are you looking to add to what your existing gear does for you?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:36 pm

It feels forced. Like Roland knew the SH-201 wasn't great so they were like...

"Ok. Here's the SH-01 GAIA... We gave it a trendy name. Uh, It looks like Lady Gaga and it has all those "real time controls" you guys wanted. You can like... layer it three times so that's cool... Now shut the f**k up."

And it sounds boring. Like take the plasticity of the JP-8000 sound and multiply it by 3. It's not a bad sounding synthesizer, don't get me wrong. But it didn't click with me.
soundcloud.com/vectron

vinyl_junkie

Post by vinyl_junkie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:39 pm

Alex E wrote:It feels forced. Like Roland knew the SH-201 wasn't great so they were like...

"Ok. Here's the SH-01 GAIA... We gave it a trendy name. Uh, It looks like Lady Gaga and it has all those "real time controls" you guys wanted. You can like... layer it three times so that's cool... Now shut the f**k up."

And it sounds boring. Like take the plasticity of the JP-8000 sound and multiply it by 3. It's not a bad sounding synthesizer, don't get me wrong. But it didn't click with me.
+1 But don't forget the best feature on a serious modern synthesizer.... a GENERAL MIDI sound bank hahahah I laughed so hard when I heard that
Last edited by vinyl_junkie on Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:40 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote:Novation Ultranova...another god damn Supernova with stupidly thin lame sounding OSC's
It's not even out until like a week or two from now... :lol:

I may be biased though. I'm about to drop my savings on one this month or next. :D
soundcloud.com/vectron

vinyl_junkie

Post by vinyl_junkie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:41 pm

Alex E wrote:
vinyl_junkie wrote:Novation Ultranova...another god damn Supernova with stupidly thin lame sounding OSC's
It's not even out until like a week or two from now... :lol:

I may be biased though. I'm about to drop my savings on one this month or next. :D
It's already in shops here in the UK, I would buy a Supernova 2, cheaper too...

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Alex E » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:42 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote: +1 But don't forget the best feature on a serious modern synthesizer.... a GENERAL MIDI sound bank hahahah I laughed so hard when I heard that
Haha I know right? What kind of half assed afterthought is that anyway??

vinyl_junkie wrote: It's already in shops here in the UK, I would buy a Supernova 2, cheaper too...
Well it's the audio interface and midi control I'm digging too... Keep in mind I've sold everything and right now the only piece of gear I have in my studio is a Launchpad. It seems like a nice set of solutions put together in one box.
soundcloud.com/vectron

R.L

Post by R.L » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:57 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Getting off topic...back to the OP.

When you say "more modern" what are you looking to add to what your existing gear does for you?
The Roland Juno D, I spent 500 on it, and everything worked good until my first show when keys started going out on stage and then a couple of the tuning knobs began to turn on their own accord when I was playing, I took it to a friend of mine who is a good tech and he said that the keys were dead and the knobs didn't work properly. So I sold it off and never wanted another roland since my Jupiter 8
Moog MiniMoog, Yamaha CP-30, Yamaha DX-7, Ensoniq ASR-10, Ensoniq ASR-X, Rhodes MRK 3, Looking for a Roland Super Jupiter, and JP-8000

vinyl_junkie

Post by vinyl_junkie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:01 pm

What about a Nord Lead 2 or 3... Quite modern and from my experience seem very well built, also I also quite like how they sound

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:23 pm

R.L wrote:

The Roland Juno D, I spent 500 on it, and everything worked good until my first show when keys started going out on stage and then a couple of the tuning knobs began to turn on their own accord when I was playing, I took it to a friend of mine who is a good tech and he said that the keys were dead and the knobs didn't work properly. So I sold it off and never wanted another roland since my Jupiter 8
But your signature says.... "Looking for a Roland Super Jupiter, and JP-8000"
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

sequence

Post by sequence » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:51 am

fiddled with a GAIA at my local GC for about 15 minutes, it was OK, but DEF not a gigging machine with all that plastic. Plus Roland kinda turns my stomach a tad sour for some reason. Wish I could fiddle with an Ultranova, but I dont think there's one in a 1,000 mile radius of where I live. Bu that also looks plasticky.
twentyfirst century fizMO man

R.L

Post by R.L » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:03 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:
R.L wrote:

But your signature says.... "Looking for a Roland Super Jupiter, and JP-8000"
yeah, I haven't been on in several months and forgot to change my signiture, so lets say Screw the Gaia, and get to a suggestion of a good synth one can use live and the backbone of my shows is a good groove people can dance too, so what are my options?

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:37 pm

Virus TI? flexibility wise it'd be hard to beat.