Roland Gaia

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Roland Gaia

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:39 pm

If you're after knobby VA and have a keyboard to play it with, the Korg Radias-R is worth a look esp. since it has a lot of tempo-synched options...two step sequencers, one arpeggiator and twelve mod sequencers can all be running at once. Not that I can imagine trying that but it gives you lots of options. The other plus is it's been discontinued and being blown out so prices are at an all time low.

Disclaimer: I own one

Other new options besides Novation's offerings are all more expensive (Nord, Virus) or less knobby (Blofeld, Korg R3).

You may be best off trolling the used market for machines like the JP8000, Yamaha AN1x, Virus B/C, etc.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Doooooooom
Gear: Microkorg, Mopho Keyboard, Korg SP-300 piano, Roland KC-110 amp, Korg Pandora.

Re: Roland Gaia

Post by Doooooooom » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:10 pm

I would recommend it for a beginner because the layout it hands-on, simple and straightforward. I think a good synthesist can make great sounds on anything if you are creative and learn its architecture properly. Im sure a skilled user with a GAIA could blow away a noob with a CS-80.