Will this destroy my board!??!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Will this destroy my board!??!

Post by bassdude » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:43 am

I bought a Roland Sh 201 not too long ago. If youre not familiar with them, they have an external input which can be routed to a filter with the standard stuff (12 or 24 db slope, resonance, low pass, high pass etc.) In the manual, it refers to running an ipod or CD player through this input. I think it would be safe to run a bass or guitar through it as well, although ive not yet tried it. The inputs are two RCA jacks.

I was wondering if i could run the output signal of the synth (either from the headphone jack or one of the outputs) back into the synth through this external input. I have no clue how this would sound, but maybe it would sound cool, or at least weird. Im new to synths, and would rather not destroy the one i just bought. Has anyone tried this with the SH 201, or any synth in general? Thanks.

dr funk

Re: Will this destroy my board!??!

Post by dr funk » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:02 am

Yes, it can be done, but I don't know if it would cause damage to your SH201. I know that it's an old Minimoog trick, and can really make the Mini scream. I've also tried it with a Yamaha CS15 with interesting, but less than spectacular results.

I asked my tech about possible damage, and he said that he had to repair a synth after someone blew up either the input or output by trying this. I can't remember what kind of synth it was though...

Sorry I can't be more help - maybe someone else can jump in?

Frank

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:25 am

I pulled up the manual and see the SH-201 already has this feature built-in. When FB OSC is selected, there is a knob that specifies the amount of output sound that is to be returned (fed back) to the input. Turning the knob toward the right increases the feedback, producing more overtones and making the sound more aggressive.

bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bassdude » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:11 pm

Youre right, the feedback oscillator will bring the output back into the synth. Still, I would like to try the external filter because it offers more options than the FB oscillator, and could be used in conjunction with the FB OSC for an even more modulated signal. Although I have to say I dont think that option will give me a very useable tone. The FB OSC sounds pretty screechy already. I just want to know if it can be done, but it sounds like i wont be trying it anytime soon.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:32 am

It can be done. Your still just running an audio signal into the input.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:52 am

yeah it will be fine.. You only really need to worry about feedback breaking something if you're working with entirely analog equipment.. with digital gear, if you feed too hot a signal into the ADC (analog->digital converter) it just clips/doesn't keep the bits that are too much..
\

Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ion, MKS-30, MKS-50, SQ-1+ 32-voice, TX81Z

Post by Ry-Fi » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:52 am

bassdude wrote: I think it would be safe to run a bass or guitar through it as well, although ive not yet tried it. The inputs are two RCA jacks.
Not unless you DI the bass or the guitar first. If you're thinking about using a 1/4" to RCA cable and plugging in that way, forget about it. The RCA inputs are NOT going to like a high impedance instrument level source like a bass or guitar. Your tone will suck, and it could even be bad for the input circuit (anyone here able to expand on that?...).

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:50 pm

I don't see how it would damage anything, the sound quality is fail though (and the level is ridiculously low)

I run anything into anything, sometimes to purposely mess things up..

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:42 pm

Ya there won't be any damage. In theory it won't sound good. But it might sound bad in a good way. For example there was always something good about the line input on the old Space Echo, worked great with a Telecaster even though the impedance was wrong. Maybe the SH201 is the new version...

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:08 pm

madtheory wrote:Ya there won't be any damage. In theory it won't sound good. But it might sound bad in a good way. For example there was always something good about the line input on the old Space Echo, worked great with a Telecaster even though the impedance was wrong. Maybe the SH201 is the new version...
In MAD theory?? :lol:

OP: Ever play with an Evolver? ;)
bonne chance

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:30 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote: In MAD theory?? :lol:
Like I've never heard that one before...

Good call on the Evolver. That's all about feedback.

bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bassdude » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:12 pm

In MAD theory?? :lol:

OP: Ever play with an Evolver? ;)[/quote]

Im assuming OP means original poster, AKA me. Ill also assume youre talking about the Dave Smith Evolver? No, ive never played one. I have very limited playing time on any real synths other than my own. The local shops have little in the way of keyboards, and i have to take a bus to get to any of the Guitar Centers or Sam Ashes around me. Why do you ask?

It seems strange to me that Roland used RCAs for their external inputs instead of a quarter inch. Im not very worried about the sound quality at this point. Im more concerned about destroying a board that I had to go through h**l and back to get.

nogginj

Post by nogginj » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:55 pm

if you are going to ruin it, you'll know it. it will sound like you are ruining it way before you actually do though, so relax a bit and go wild.
you will be able to get some seriously rich, loud, potentially haywire sounds up until that point.

if there is a volume knob, keep your hand on it while you first try this out. as you begin increasing the level back into the unit, you are going to get into more and more chaotic territory.

i highly recommend doing this though. your mileage may vary, but a DIY feedback loop is a breath of fresh air into almost instrument.

colmon

Post by colmon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:38 pm

^+1

was about to put my monotron away in a drawer along with my gristleizer where it would've remained untouched for a very long time, until I decided to feed the output into the filter aux. add a touch of slap back tape delay -- instant old school industrial

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:29 pm

Again- this will NOT do any damage to the synth.