Pro One keyboard membrane restoration (super easy)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
thiagozt

Pro One keyboard membrane restoration (super easy)

Post by thiagozt » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:47 am

I got a Pro One on eBay that has a membrane keyboard, serial number is 9 thousand and something...
I was worried about the keyboard being the membrane version after reading so many bad things about it - all I heard is kind of true: my Pro One arrived and half they keyboard keys weren't working. The other half was barely working, I couldn't play anything fast and some keys would get stuck when I pressed them.

I read a couple threads and googled to gather some info and decided to go get some Isopropyl Alcohol to clean up the membranes. I opened it up and removed the keybed, then removed all keys (washed them with hot water and they looked like new), then removed the rubber stripe that coners the membrane, them opened the membrane and cleaned up all contacts using the Isopropyl Alcohol. I also realized the ribbon cable that runs from the keys into the keyboard board was dirty and cleaned that up a bit ( I actually disconnected and cleaned it up, really easy).

When I put it all back together, it was perfectly working. Amazing! I was freaking out, thinking about how I would need to get a controler, then a midi to CV converter, or maybe one of the Doepfer OEM + fatar keybeds but I don't know how that would work in the Pro One since it has it's own processor blah blah blah... all I did was to clean up the membrane with some alcohol and now it feels great and plays great too, I can play really fast if I want and it works like it's supposed to. Also the action feels nice too.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience and say that you no one should shy away from a membrane version - it's simple and easy to clean, probably just as simple as cleaning J-wire keyboard. I see J-wire Pro Ones going for over $1.200 on eBay - I got mine for $710 ( on eBay) probably because no one wanted a membrane Pro One. Seriously, Junos have membranes, Nord Leads too, a bunch of other synths have membranes that we don't even know...

Anyway, I may post some pictures in a couple days. Don't be afraid of Membrane Pro Ones, they're awesome :)
Last edited by thiagozt on Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: Pro One keyboard membrane restoration (super easy)

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:19 pm

Cool, good to hear a success story ;)

Nice price for a Pro~One too :)

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:22 pm

If cleaning doesn't work, you can get some "Keypad Fix" stuff on ebay that can be used to apply a new conductive coating on the membranes. It worked great when I restored a DX100 I got on ebay last summer. ;)
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

gs

Post by gs » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:35 am

Congrats on your P1 restoration project. I had the J-Wire version myself a number of years back, and did my own restoration on it - involving replacing all the rubber key bushings and cutting new end-panels from oak. Enjoyed the h**l out of it while I had it, but the economy combined with having to trim down my rig necessitated having to sell it off. I paid $475 in '05, sold it for $750 in '09 (it had a problem with the oscillator octave switches, or I would have gotten more $). Nice board, always worth keeping pimped out and in good working condition.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M