been visited by the modular bug...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

been visited by the modular bug...

Post by TrondC » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:24 am

...after earning a bunch of extra money from overtime and extra shifts, I got talked into buying the Doepfer Dark Energy yesterday. and all I can say: wow! so full of life! after noodling about for a bit, I started experimenting with the patch cables: more wow! it was either this or an xoxbox, and I am glad I went for the doepfer, such a raw sound :)
so yeah, just stoked and want to share ;) who else here got one? any things I should know? I'm reading the english pdf manual today, first thing it to figure out how to make it recieve and understand a note off message, so far it's a drone machine!

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Re: been visited by the modular bug...

Post by maindeglorie » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:42 am

The Dark Energy... Doepfer's new gateway drug into Euro rack.
I have an ever growing euro system; get ready to have no money and absolutely no social life. lol
Drone machine... yeah you can do that, but you should really get a any piece of sequencing gear that outputs a CV and gate and boom! The MFB Urzwerg would be an awesome addition. Here comes the module addiction man.

Head right on over to the Muff Wiggler forum and start reading! They are the modular school, VSE is the things with keys school! Best of both worlds.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:33 am

I was going to get the A-111 module which is a Eurorack format DE, but I'm glad I went fully modular right from the start. Join us.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:00 pm

yes, I might have to get the Dark Time sequencer too when that time comes... $$$$

however, even as a standalone box, I am quite impressed with the sonic palette of the dark energy, it will get bass duty pretty quickly :)

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:21 pm

Welcome to the dark side! :twisted:

Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:59 pm

I'm finishing a number of my DIY projects with the specific intent to start building a modular. My modular will be mostly DIY but in eurorack format so I can get some things that interest me (like the MFB drum module)

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:54 pm

congratulations, Trond.

you think that's cool ?
Just wait 'till you dive in to full modular Eurocrack - it blows away all the vintage mono options; i don't even bother with my 2600 very often these days, even.
The Euro explosion has been going healthy for 5+ yrs now and next year is going to be apeshit mental w/ all the new modules coming out.
Wiard, metasonix, cwejman, macbeth, harvestman, intellijel, 4ms, STG, synthtech all make great great stuff...some odd ducks here and there are classic (division6, the notorious Plan B has made some killer ones) and h**l even some of the Doepfer and ASys is unbeatable...a golden age is here, now.
Just have to balance your pocketbook and your synthlust somehow!

I go back-and-forth between thinking 'enough! i can do plenty with what i have!' and then being tempted to be able to do more things simultaneously....that is the essence of 'Teh Crackz'.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies