La Roux's "Bulletproof" (What synths?)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
nsbhp2
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JV-1080, Korg Legacy Collection, the impOSCar, Korg DS-10, MicroKorg, Roland JP-8000, Casio CZ-1000, Korg Monotron, Korg Kaossilator

La Roux's "Bulletproof" (What synths?)

Post by nsbhp2 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:41 pm

So, I love this song to death, and was wondering if anyone knows what synths (real or computer based) were used in its production. I did a Google search, and came up with nothing. :(

Peace!
Scott

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Re: La Roux's "Bulletproof" (What synths?)

Post by maindeglorie » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:23 am

Reason? Cubase instruments? Some shitty VST's? A Nord Lead? lol

If you watch the video, they even use a Little Phatty! The dude is totally rocking CHORDS on it!

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:21 am

maindeglorie wrote:If you watch the video, they even use a Little Phatty! The dude is totally rocking CHORDS on it!
Maybe he is using it as a midi-controller... Or using the arpeggiator... Or even have a few poly-chained LPs...

Don't be a smart-a*s!

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:53 pm

They did a live session with Heaven 17 for the BBC, they had a little phatty, and a nord (not sure if I remember correctly). Perhaps it's on youtube. Of course doesn't mean it was used on the recording, but it's a clue.

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:00 pm

maindeglorie wrote:Reason? Cubase instruments? Some shitty VST's? A Nord Lead? lol

If you watch the video, they even use a Little Phatty! The dude is totally rocking CHORDS on it!
I don't know for sure what it was recorded with. However, so what if it was Cubuse instruments or Reason or Free VSTs. If the tune's good it doesn't matter if the synths used are the type some people would look down upon. If you think the tune's rubbish, fair enough, that's allowed, but the synths used don't make it rubbish!

As for playing chords on the phatty, again, so what? It's just a video. Perhaps he was taking the piss,like the dude from EMF playing bass with a boxing glove on Top of the Pops!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:53 pm

vin14 wrote:They did a live session with Heaven 17 for the BBC, they had a little phatty, and a nord (not sure if I remember correctly). Perhaps it's on youtube. Of course doesn't mean it was used on the recording, but it's a clue.
The album was recorded before the 'band' was formed, the people in the film clips and the live show were recruited afterward to make it look like a 'real band' on stage rather then a 100% pop act. IIRC they aren't even musicians, they're just friends of the singer, and their instruments when they play live aren't coming through the PA. So the LP was probably picked because it looks cool, rather than for the sound.

OP: The sounds in that song are nothing special, it doesn't really matter what made them. That kind of music isn't about having great sounds, it's about having a haircut and a marketing budget. If you want to make music like that maybe buy a microkorg and just learn how to play it. Write a catchy tune, cause if you're doing stuff like that they're gonna get a producer in to rerecord everything anyway.

nsbhp2
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JV-1080, Korg Legacy Collection, the impOSCar, Korg DS-10, MicroKorg, Roland JP-8000, Casio CZ-1000, Korg Monotron, Korg Kaossilator

Post by nsbhp2 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Wow, it seems like I pissed in everyone's corn flakes by implying that this was a REAL song! Sorry to offend all you REAL musicians that look down on us hobbyists that are just looking for a bit of info on what I consider to be the best place on the net to do so. I won't bother you any more.

Peace!
Scott

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:41 pm

Lots of skill went into writing that stuff. s**t on it all you want, but they write a damn fine pop song.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:36 am

nsbhp2 wrote:Sorry to offend all you REAL musicians that look down on us hobbyists that are just looking for a bit of info on what I consider to be the best place on the net to do so.
Other way round actually, VSE is full of hobbyists who think that buying a fantastic synth is going to make their music better.

Trom69

Post by Trom69 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:58 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:VSE is full of hobbyists who think that buying a fantastic synth is going to make their music better.
And there goes another great sig. :lol:
Cracking softsynths for virtual circuit-bending

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:48 am

ITT angry synthesists are angry

nsbhp2
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nsbhp2 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:54 am

I see this is turning into a pissing match that I don't want to be part of. I apologize if I offended anyone. As Rodney King once said, "Can't we all just get along?" :D

Peace!
Scott

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:17 am

No need to apologise, this is what always happens whenever anyone mentions la roux. A quick search would have revealed this gem of a thread:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=51831

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:29 am

Stab pretty much nailed it.

My favorite part is when I was told not to be a smart a*s! LOL

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:52 am

Just Get NES samples (particularly the percussion/noise channel) and then any basic subtractive synth can get you these tones.