La Roux's "Bulletproof" (What synths?)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
polar69
Gear: An1x CS1x Rm1x MPD24 Stylophone Zoom gfx100 Reason Reaper

Re: La Roux's "Bulletproof" (What synths?)

Post by polar69 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:17 pm

I'd be more interested in what vocal processing they used to make the singers voice sound like fingernails been dragged down a blackboard.

Is there a special plugin with two settings - "screech" and "pissed off cat" ?
:ugeek:

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:02 pm

Guys guys guys come on, for f**k sake. He just asked a question about synths, and all you're going to do is complain about the song? there's another area for that. it's not off topic.

atticus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by atticus » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
vin14 wrote:They did a live session with Heaven 17 for the BBC, they had a little phatty, and a nord (not sure if I remember correctly). Perhaps it's on youtube. Of course doesn't mean it was used on the recording, but it's a clue.
The album was recorded before the 'band' was formed, the people in the film clips and the live show were recruited afterward to make it look like a 'real band' on stage rather then a 100% pop act. IIRC they aren't even musicians, they're just friends of the singer, and their instruments when they play live aren't coming through the PA. So the LP was probably picked because it looks cool, rather than for the sound.

OP: The sounds in that song are nothing special, it doesn't really matter what made them. That kind of music isn't about having great sounds, it's about having a haircut and a marketing budget. If you want to make music like that maybe buy a microkorg and just learn how to play it. Write a catchy tune, cause if you're doing stuff like that they're gonna get a producer in to rerecord everything anyway.
What a load of bollocks.

You stir the s**t then blame other people for doing the same.
Bugbrand Modular, MFB Synth II, Roland Juno 1, Roland JD-990, Novation Supernova, Jomox Airbase, Roland SH-09, Roland HS-60, Mac & Logic

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:44 pm

atticus

just checking, that last comment wasn't aimed at me was it????

cheers

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar

Post by vin14 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:57 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: OP: The sounds in that song are nothing special, it doesn't really matter what made them. That kind of music isn't about having great sounds, it's about having a haircut and a marketing budget. If you want to make music like that maybe buy a microkorg and just learn how to play it. Write a catchy tune, cause if you're doing stuff like that they're gonna get a producer in to rerecord everything anyway.
That's the kind of thing they said about the synth pop guys in the early 80s! Judging by this thread, La Roux has captured the 'that's not proper music' kind of scorn which went hand-in-hand with the kind of music they are so obviously influenced by. Takes me back, good times!

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:06 pm

Stab Frenzy got it spot on imo on the other post..It's all in the production, it's got nothing to do with the synths used...
"The consensus is that the gear used doesn't matter, because the sounds are generic and the character of the instruments used is hidden under overproduction."

I was working with some one the other month creating some horrible house/modern electro bollocks, so can any one tell me what synths I used (2 synths are slightly out of time cos I couldn't be bothered to find a MIDI lead)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/jfruw1

This nasty effort is all about that shiny over produced balls..totally not my bag

What you should be asking is not what synth to get but what outboard or UAD plug to get to sound like that...

Jaxamillian

Post by Jaxamillian » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:43 pm

Wow, this thread drips with musical pretense and snobbery.

The best part about it is that this song is better than 99% of what anybody on here has ever written or recorded.

vin14

Post by vin14 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:26 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote:Stab Frenzy got it spot on imo on the other post..It's all in the production, it's got nothing to do with the synths used...
That's some statement! I'm probably taking this too literally, but I'm sure it has something to do with the synths used, generic sounding or otherwise. You can't produce a synth record without synths of some nature! :)

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:20 pm

I think some folk are missing the point. Synth music doesn't necessarily require specific synths to achieve its effect - unlike something such as Switched On Bach, which is the sound of the Moog modular, or the soundtrack to Pertwee-era Dr Who, which is the sound of a man being eaten by the Delaware, La Roux and similar acts could, and may, use whatever they choose but the results are not about sounding like a Mini, LP, Nord 2x, etc. The results are more about the production than the source synths. I will absolutely concede that end results being the focus goes (or should) for music generally, and that synths are tools, soft or otherwise, and tools have a bearing on results - but the focus for the listener does not depend on there being one or another particular synth in the mix.

The process may be different these days as we have so many tools at our disposal it becomes silly trying to choose one. Back in 1979, if you wanted a poly, you were limited for choice. If you wanted to vary the speed of an LFO with an envelope, you were limited for choice. I think a lot of people in the business of making music for money to a tight schedule would rather use something that integrates as easily as possible with their workflow than mess about half a day tuning an old Moog. Fair enough. In the end what matters is that the results do the job.

None of this changes the fact that it can indeed be interesting to find out what particular acts use in the making of their music, whether that's useful information or not.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:36 am

atticus wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
vin14 wrote:They did a live session with Heaven 17 for the BBC, they had a little phatty, and a nord (not sure if I remember correctly). Perhaps it's on youtube. Of course doesn't mean it was used on the recording, but it's a clue.
The album was recorded before the 'band' was formed, the people in the film clips and the live show were recruited afterward to make it look like a 'real band' on stage rather then a 100% pop act. IIRC they aren't even musicians, they're just friends of the singer, and their instruments when they play live aren't coming through the PA. So the LP was probably picked because it looks cool, rather than for the sound.

OP: The sounds in that song are nothing special, it doesn't really matter what made them. That kind of music isn't about having great sounds, it's about having a haircut and a marketing budget. If you want to make music like that maybe buy a microkorg and just learn how to play it. Write a catchy tune, cause if you're doing stuff like that they're gonna get a producer in to rerecord everything anyway.
What a load of bollocks.

You stir the s**t then blame other people for doing the same.
You'd be surprised how many big synth acts are 90% backing track when they play live. Particularly the ones that have drummers. I know this because I've played support slots for them, and mixed bands that have played support slots for them.

Anyway, I don't think I've been 'stirring the s**t' at all. My advice was that the songwriting and production of the track were more important than the particular synth used, and that if the OP wants to make songs like this then what synth they buy isn't really important. I think that's pretty reasonable advice actually I'm not sure why you're getting so upset.

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:46 am

Jaxamillian wrote: The best part about it is that this song is better than 99% of what anybody on here has ever written or recorded.
You'd be really surprised to find out who some of us members are and what we have written. ;)

vanpet
Gear: Mono Evolver | Juno-60 | Nord Lead 2X | DX7 | MicroKorg | Alpha Juno

Post by vanpet » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:22 pm

Well, surprise me! I want to hear it!

colmon

Post by colmon » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:15 pm

this song is good

for me to poop on

implant

Post by implant » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:57 pm

it is a really catchy song :) i wonder what gear they used to make it?

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:00 pm

polar69 wrote:I'd be more interested in what vocal processing they used to make the singers voice sound like fingernails been dragged down a blackboard.

Is there a special plugin with two settings - "screech" and "pissed off cat" ?
:ugeek:

:lol: .........this song really gets on my nerves.