La Roux's "Bulletproof" (What synths?)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: La Roux's "Bulletproof" (What synths?)

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:39 pm

I would

Jaxamillian

Post by Jaxamillian » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:06 pm

maindeglorie wrote:
Jaxamillian wrote: The best part about it is that this song is better than 99% of what anybody on here has ever written or recorded.
You'd be really surprised to find out who some of us members are and what we have written. ;)
I'd love to hear anything that you think I would like better. I think that Bulletproof is an awesome pop song, and from the stuff I"ve heard in the listening forum, I haven't heard anything that I like near as much. Please unveil the mystery to me.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:36 pm

Jaxamillian wrote:
maindeglorie wrote:
Jaxamillian wrote: The best part about it is that this song is better than 99% of what anybody on here has ever written or recorded.
You'd be really surprised to find out who some of us members are and what we have written. ;)
I'd love to hear anything that you think I would like better. I think that Bulletproof is an awesome pop song, and from the stuff I"ve heard in the listening forum, I haven't heard anything that I like near as much. Please unveil the mystery to me.
A member here less than two months and you've heard it all apparently...
Do you even post on vse bro?

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:00 pm

maybe some people don't put their music in the lounge because it would blow their anonymity, or perhaps they don't feel like putting out their music for free.

Jaxamillian

Post by Jaxamillian » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:36 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
:lol:

Well instead of being so coy and snide about it, why not just point me to some of the quality music? I'm always up for discovering new music.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:06 am

Well you should definitely ask CS_TBL to show you some of his orchestral stuff if you're interested in seeing some quality Music.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:32 pm

Jaxamillian wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
:lol:

Well instead of being so coy and snide about it, why not just point me to some of the quality music? I'm always up for discovering new music.
I'll admit I don't actually listen to enough stuff in the LL to point you towards anything similar to la roux, but I know there are enough 'real' musicians floating around here that one shouldn't make generalizations about the low quality output of most vse'rs.
Do you even post on vse bro?

GameChanger
Gear: MPC60

Post by GameChanger » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:49 pm

I think its La Roux's best song by far, much better then there other singles which I don't like much. One thing that I dont like about it thou, is in her last chorus the vocals are messed up. Either mistake or really bad try at harmonizing.

Not the same as La Roux, but Chromeo & Bat For Lashes come to mind for quality synth pop stuff w/ being much more musical. Plus you say 99% of us don't make as good of music as Bulletproof, but honestly 75% of people on here prob don't want, or try to make that type of stuff. One of the best things about synthesis is the ability to be creative and out of the box, so many possibilties for so many types of styles and flavors of music.

Jaxamillian

Post by Jaxamillian » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:09 pm

GameChanger wrote:I think its La Roux's best song by far, much better then there other singles which I don't like much. One thing that I dont like about it thou, is in her last chorus the vocals are messed up. Either mistake or really bad try at harmonizing.

Not the same as La Roux, but Chromeo & Bat For Lashes come to mind for quality synth pop stuff w/ being much more musical. Plus you say 99% of us don't make as good of music as Bulletproof, but honestly 75% of people on here prob don't want, or try to make that type of stuff. One of the best things about synthesis is the ability to be creative and out of the box, so many possibilties for so many types of styles and flavors of music.
I shouldn't have used the word "better". Music is so subjective. My comment was more a defense and a retaliation to the overly negative and snide remarks in the beginning of the thread, which are absolute bull$hit. A classic "hater" reaction of "pshh, it's JUST a so and so synth, ALL you have to do is write a simple CATCHY tune" and turning your nose up at it. Just take it for what it is, a fun pop song. By the way, writing a song that has that magic, or catchyness, is an amazing talent.

Thanks for the reccomendations I will check them out.

colmon

Post by colmon » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:42 am

Jabberwalky wrote:Image

I would
yeah i guess she looks quite nice

for me to poop on

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:35 pm

Hey dude, if that's your thing i'm not one to judge...

Kitevent

Post by Kitevent » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:35 pm

I remember being sent a link to their myspace before they hit the mainstream. They had demos of In for the kill, Quicksand and Reflections are Protection. Thought they were great tracks and I love their album.

They also had some studio pictures which showed various bits of hardware. Cant remember what, but there is one pic still on their myspace which shows a Juno 106 and a Wurly EP200 plus another synth on top (not sure what). I also recall seeing a pic of them with a minikorg.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:39 am

not really an answer to the OP, but it looks like they'll be gravitating towards older hardware:

Elenor Jackson: “We’ve got a Roland- a Juno, a Yamaha DX7, a Nova, a Korg, a Moog… Me and Ben just go on eBay and say ‘buy it buy it!’ We’ve got a living room piled up with synths.”

Kitevent

Post by Kitevent » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:42 pm

DX7 eh?

This isn't "Bulletproof", but here's me playing a bit of "In For The Kill" on a DX7. A typical sort of brassy DX sounds-slightly-distorted-but-isn't kind of sound.

I'd guess they used quite a bit of DX7 on the album listening to the sounds.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:14 pm

Jaxamillian wrote:
maindeglorie wrote:
Are you their marketing exec? ;)
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.