Just How Picky Should We Be With eBay Items Recieved?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gs

Re: Just How Picky Should We Be With eBay Items Recieved?

Post by gs » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:23 am

A general rule-of-thumb that I follow on acquiring used synths:

The older the synth, expect more problems.

Unless the seller says it's been refurbished. Lots of sellers will try their best to describe the item in less-than-honest terminology, to make the sale. Beware of any vintage synth not claimed as refurbished or at least never been to a repair shop.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

Richard Gear

Post by Richard Gear » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:39 am

I bought a nanopiano last year. The guy said it had some scratches and that some writing have been erased. No big deal. There was even a photo. But when I received it, it looked much worse than the impression I had from the photo. The Nanopiano looked beaten to death. And worst, it had a noisy output. I was not allowed much to complain because I made the mistake of bidding on this item while it was not precised that he was shipping to Canada.
My lesson : used gear usually look better on photo.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:06 am

Richard Gear wrote:used gear usually look better on photo.
Something tells me you don't look as good as your avatar.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:47 pm

The short answer: very picky.

I expect as advertised not something else.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:59 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:The short answer: very picky.

I expect as advertised not something else.
Yes, exactly. "Vintage", "analog", "OLD" do not excuse anything less than a completely honest and as-accurate-as-possible description just as you would expect from something made last year. Subsequent scrutiny by the seller should not be diminished by those terms either.

I think you are being overly cautious in worrying about "stepping on toes", picking your battles, etc. If the seller agrees to sell on ebay, he's agreeing to suffer the consequences of not following their rules. It's not a public selling forum like VSE where one's reputation is totally word of mouth.

And even if the seller was totally unaware of internal damage (but still claimed it worked perfectly) you are well within your rights to return as "not as described". At the very least, you should insist he covers all repairs or give you a refund for the same amount, but I would honestly just send it back - bargain or no bargain, unless you can fix it yourself, your starting off with what sounds like a fairly damaged synth, and those tend to be the hardest to maintain in the long run. Whatever you do, don't feel you need to do the seller any courtesy and ask for anything less than you are totally owed (repairs or a refund).
Do you even post on vse bro?

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:09 pm

nathanscribe wrote:
Richard Gear wrote:used gear usually look better on photo.
Something tells me you don't look as good as your avatar.
:lol:.....seriously though, if it is not as described, I would be upset. I bought a Micro Q off ebay that said it was like new, MINT in all caps....When I received it the knobs were loose, and it was all scratched up. It worked fine, but it was definitely not as described. I tried to contact the seller more than a couple of times with no answers/replies...I gave him a bad review. I thought he deserved it for lying to me and not returning my messages.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:36 pm

Don't get me wrong, if something knowingly isn't as advertised in the listing then yes I would be a bit disappointed such as Richard Gear's case of getting a wrecked instrument. But what about legitimate sellers who don't know a single thing about vintage gear? Some find the gear for us at estate sales and such, and bring to market not really knowing what they're into. I wouldn't be mad if a pot or two was a little scratchy. Because I'm into this 30+ year-old gear, I used to have a good synth tech and more so these days trying to do a lot myself. I wouldn't try to go after the seller for small nit-picky things, just happy I had the opportunity to get my grubby hands on vintage knob-ies.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:21 pm

garranimal wrote:Don't get me wrong, if something knowingly isn't as advertised in the listing then yes I would be a bit disappointed such as Richard Gear's case of getting a wrecked instrument. But what about legitimate sellers who don't know a single thing about vintage gear? Some find the gear for us at estate sales and such, and bring to market not really knowing what they're into. I wouldn't be mad if a pot or two was a little scratchy. Because I'm into this 30+ year-old gear, I used to have a good synth tech and more so these days trying to do a lot myself. I wouldn't try to go after the seller for small nit-picky things, just happy I had the opportunity to get my grubby hands on vintage knob-ies.
Dude, this is Vintage Collectors Forum, not a site for musical instruments. Think of everybody here being like the fat comic book guy in The Simpsons. If it's not mint and sealed in the pack then how in the h**l are they going to sell it on here 2 weeks later?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.