What are you buying yourself for Christmas ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: What are you buying yourself for Christmas ?

Post by griffin avid » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:43 pm

another command station. After 7 years, still in love with them. E-MU systems conceived one of the most complete music composition systems that works with ROM samples.

ESX-1 is maybe is the the most rewarding drum machine- based-on-sampling at this moment...

You sir, are weakening my wallet! Stop it!

Actually, I'm currently rocking the EMX-1SD, the blue meanie that replaces the old EA-1 and adds drum sounds....
I had a hard time deciding between the two. I've got so many samples, I decided to lean towards something I could generate samples on.

In the back of my mind, there was always the Yamaha RS-7000 and the Roland SP 606. I always think 'Hmmm all-in-one-box'. I never followed the Command Station, but from your review I will look into it...erm yeah, New Years is around the corner. might need a self-gift for that too!

Actually I think I just added a new gift. I'm going to press something up as a CD. I don't know if it'll be a sampler of a bunch of stuff or should I create a 'single/EP' in the next couple days/weeks and just press it up. Get back to actually making something, instead of talking and thinking.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:55 pm

Despite looking very similar, both have their pros and cons. I worked with both of them during a year. After that, I sold the EMX, and kept tthe ESX. I must admit, I was staring at them during long hours, trying to balance pros and cons, it was a REALLY hard decision to left the EMX.

On the ESX, you have the new sounds doors always opened since it's a sampler.

On the EMX, you must get attached to its sound, but the sounds you already have are more flexible to manipulate. Also, the filter overdrive knob of the EMX is lost on the ESX.

There are some limitations with stereo samples on ESX. Something very weird, is that they can't be looped.

On the two "pitched" tracks, this is killing. Because obviously on the ESX, there's nothing similar to variphrase, so samples will become shorter in time while scaling up pitch.

The answer for the sampler freak to this problem, is to find smooth start and end points on short samples, and loop them. So you have the same length for all the notes after this programming tip. But on the ESX, the loop feature is turned off when using a stereo sample.

The EMX has a very clear and polished sound. Sometimes is hard to believe it's only one oscillator. There are so many tonalities that can be found with only those two knobs. And the selection of samples on the ROM samples section, was made very careful. The kicks and snares, normally cheesy on these units, are great on the EMX.

The EMX is more instant gratification. The ESX not so much for the careful ear. After 1 one week owning it, I was filling it with samples since factory are pure cheese casu marzu. It needs more time, and great sampling managment habilities. The learning curve is longer on the ESX.

There you go, a nice vibes track from them. These are the ESX and the EMX sync by a command station. Samples of the ESX came from the V synth:
Last edited by balma on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Cwejman S1 mkII and lots of DIY soldering projects, including a Shruthi-1. :happy3:
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:47 am

f**k I'm greedy....
So far for x-mass I pretty much got/got my self
Mackie SR-32-4 VLZ Pro, Mackie HR-624 mk1, Lexicon LXP-15 II, ZOOM 1202, Behringer EM-600 and CC300 and now I might get a SH-101 with a Kenton thingy as some one just brought my old Fostex monitors...oh god I'm a gear w***e hahah I really wanted a 101 though for a long time

To be fair the EMX or what ever it's called didn't get much attention cos pretty much the next day I got a Blofled...
did this almost 2 years ago...MPC for me is still the most fun sequencer/drum sampler

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:22 am

I got a Mopho :D

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:17 am

There you go, a nice vibes track from them. These are the ESX and the EMX sync by a command station.
Wow. Very nice and creamy track. The stereo movement is really nice.
That bass and vocal part coming in together is super tight.

did this almost 2 years ago...MPC for me is still the most fun sequencer/drum sampler
Nice one too. It's Drum machine verse groovebox here. Damn. You guys are making me want to finish an album.

I think I'd rather watch this then that ' old guy noodling some synths' ;)

Oh and congrats on the MoPho. Yellow box or the board?
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rschnier » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:25 am

cornutt wrote:
rhino wrote:Vacuum de-soldering station.
I'm in the market for one of those... which one are you getting?
Related to the de-soldering thing, I'm getting myself a Tenma solder pot; should arrive tomorrow. You fill the well with solder and let it melt, until it's even with the top (or slightly above). Then you lower the PC board over the well so it touches the solder and pull upward on the part. Great for multi-pin connectors, IC's and such (obviously not for SMDs though).

I also got a Korg DSM-1 (rack version of DSS-1) that arrived today!

-- R.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:30 am

Renoise, the first piece of music software I've ever laid money down on. Don't misunderstand me, aside from trying out a ripped copy of Arturia's mini moog five years ago, I never pirated anything. This is the first piece of software I've been truly impressed by after years of trying out demos for various DAW's and softsynths. Theres an immediacy to it that I can only compare to the korg electribes.
Last edited by nuketifromorbit on Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Scenic Mob
Gear: Yamaha RM1x, Axiom 49, Korg KP3, KRK Rockit 5's, Roland SH-32, Korg MicroKorg, Kaossilator, MiniKP, E-Mu MP-7, Yamaha DJX2B, Novation Bass Station!
Band: Scenic Mob

Post by Scenic Mob » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:31 am

I'd not expected to have cash enough to get anything off of my really wanted list, but I sold my violin unexpectedly after having not played it for a few years now, and as luck would have it, I happened accross a really good deal on a Novation Bass Station - $299! (well shipping was a bit more)
I do all hardware and run synth with sequencers and this is to be my very first truely Analog Synth!
I've always intended to get a Bass station Eventually, and maybe one day I'll push it up to the Super Bass Station, but for now, I'm totally psyched to have a really good dedicated bass synth to work with!
Bass being probably the most important tone of the mix...
It's gonna sorta redefine my setup from this point, and I've got a handfull of options for my next move...
but I'm just stunned to actually have one on it's way!

If all goes well, I'm hoping to get a good DJ mixer in the new year (anybody know a good 8 channel one? I'm looking for speciffically DJ qualities... effects, kill EQs, crossfaders... I'd love LED indicators for the levels of each channel... that would look totally awesome...) and a couple of other little things...
but this is a Big piece for me, and should open up whole new sonic territory!
Happy Christmas!

phoenix224

Post by phoenix224 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:37 am

Bought a Pro~One. Best Christmas ever.

Yodhan
Gear: DSI Mopho Keyboard, Korg Monotron, Microkorg, Arturia Experience Player, Reason 5
Band: Prototype Messiah

Post by Yodhan » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:26 am

I got a Focusrite Saffire 24 Pro, a pair of Mackie MR5's, a MicroKorg (used for $150) and a Korg Monotron.

I didn't really need the interface, but I wanted to have something with some more outs than the Audio Kontrol 1 that I have been using for a year. The ADAT input is nice, too.

I really needed the monitors. Until now, I have been using a crappy pair of Alesis M1Active 320USB 3" speakers and headphones. Nothing to horrible, but not good for mixing. I now have them hooked up so I can use them as my 'crappy computer speaker reference'.

The MicroKorg was a used one at my work (I work at a music store) that didn't have the vocoder mic. It hadn't moved after 3 months, so I conned my boss into letting me have it for cheap. I couldn't say no.

The Monotron just seemed cool, especially because I can run external audio through it. I also was watching the videos about the external CV and Gate mods for it and I got geeked.

Slashe50
Gear: Yamaha DX11
Casio HT-3000
Apple iPod Touch
Korg MINI-KP
Several guitars

Post by Slashe50 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:33 am

Playing an SH-201, I really enjoyed it and I thought the SH-01 would be nice. But I'm refraining this year, I have plenty to work with.

I am getting a new amp though. Playing with a drummer through a 15 watt amp isn't very fun.

Monotron? :P
I'm a synth newborn, a stillborn if not.

...ew.

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:43 am

RS-505 Paraphonic = happytimes

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:19 am

Just bought the MXR Carbon Copy delay pedal.

A Novation Launchpad is on the way.

And next I'll also be ordering another case to extend the modular. I think I'm going to go with the wooden 9U one dopefer makes.

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:34 am

well it looks like it will be more of a new years present (or later :? ) but im waiting for my monotron to become a modular-tron. im excited to see what becomes of it. i pretty much just told my friend to go nuts with it (with out turning this into a $500 project lol) so far more wave forms 2nd lfo and 1/4" cv i/o galore are on the list
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)