Why is nobody talking about the M-audio venom yet?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
smoothcriminal

Re: Why is nobody talking about the M-audio venom yet?

Post by smoothcriminal » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:52 am

$499/free shipping on ebay, that was fast!

http://cgi.ebay.com/M-AUDIO-VENOM-49-KE ... 564207f94c

the parameter matrix kinda reminds me of my microQ interface. wish that thing had a software editr...

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:02 am

Man I can get this for $500 shipped. They're killing me! It might take some willpower not to buy this one. :?
soundcloud.com/vectron

skizzle
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by skizzle » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:10 am

agreed, sign me up!

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:29 am

Honestly, I think the features are pretty good for the price by just looking at that NAMM video. Even though I am not too fond of m-audio gear, I'm glad to see another company entering the hardware synth market. It will hopefully make for some nice competition between companies that we'll benefit from. And I do hope this thing turns out to be a cool machine in the real world scheme of things sound wise.

depulse
Gear: List is too long, analog and digital synths and samplers....

Post by depulse » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:50 pm

The sounds are sampled, not generated.

This is not a VA it's a ROMpler....

Korg TritonExtr+MOSSRoland XV5080+D550+MKS80+MKS70+MKS7+MKS50+S550+JP8080+Juno60+JD990, ATC1, ESQM Yamaha A5k+An1x+SY77+TG77+TX802+TX7 Akai S5k+MPC1k, Mopho, Blofeld, EMaxRack, NordRack2, Indigo2, Rogue, MD, Linndrum, Pro1, Drumulator, M1AM1, Pulse

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:01 pm

No PWM then? :D

Sounds more interesting than the gaia, and I'd be more tempted by this than the ultranova.

I'm keeping a lookout on this one.
Stephen(2)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:52 pm

Odd it's only 12 voice with samples...Roland was able to cough up 32 voices years ago with the SH-32.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:06 pm

I like it. It'd be a good harsh addition to a normal Digital, Analog, and Sampler setup

+1 for Mark Mothersbaugh endorsement

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:31 pm

When they said it was already shipped to dealers I didn't believe it. Lo-n-behold I just got back from playing one at GC. I'll offer some first impressions, far-and-away from any in-depth review.

- 3 osc per voice. You don't see this much lately and I'm glad they didn't skimp here.
- For those that like VA's, MS-2000, Novation, Virus, Ion the sound it pretty good and sounds much closer to Ion/Micron but yes with more grit. Yes grit/aggressive/edgy = distortion type stuff on the Venom. But it sounded good on this.
- Their keys didn't feel cheap to me and played nicely. I am so glad they went w/ regular size keys and not micro-size keys.
- Illuminated mod/pitch bend wheels. They're pur-ty! And smooth. A bit small-ish but not micro-korg small.
- Matrix routing does give some weird and wild modulations from what I could tell on the presets.
- Filters sounded pretty good. LP, HP, BP.
- The soft rubberized plastic buttons felt ok to me.
- Glossy white case look these have, seemed durable to me and not cheap. I really like the ribbed end caps, functional in that when it's time to pack up there is less tendency for it to slip out of your hands.
- The price is very tempting. But read the dislikes below, they had to make some sacrifices to deliver the goods.

Dislikes:
- 49 keys was not bad, but for me 61 keys is a sweet spot.
- The knobs are kinda small but no big deal. They were spaced okay and it's not really a big deal to me.
- The case lettering below the knobs are hard to read in low light. I really had to get close and squint to see the labels.
- My main problem was need for a computer to get into sound editing and modulation routing stuff. Again the price point was probably a factor for them. I would have liked to try some of my own edits....
- Realtime control was okay but toggling thru parameter edit knob groups is just not fun for me. I always prefer dedicated knobs to each function. I was fiddling around w/ a Motif a couple of weeks ago and realized then that I would not like this realtime control setup.
- The display is nice and bright with good contrast, but their font is bizarre with regard to small caps lettering.

It was pretty fun to play. The sounds were good quality. If there is any success with this instrument sales this year, hopefully we'll be seeing a 61-key version with more hands-on editing features.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:08 pm

So I decided to buy one sometime this month... Probably this weekend if everything works out.

That goddamn limited on-synth interface was very close to being a dealbreaker but I literally have no more hardware synths. I have no audio interface either. Seems like a logical move right now.

When I use it for a while I'll throw my impressions of it up here the same way I did with my Ion. I really hope that software editor is good, because I am not a presets guy.
soundcloud.com/vectron

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:22 am

Interested to hear a comparison of venom & blofeld...

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Alex E » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:10 am

My Venom is gonna show up at my door from Nova Musik on friday. So yay I think,
soundcloud.com/vectron

iv0luti0n
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Korg R3
Roland MKB-300
Oberheim Matrix-6R
Yamaha U3 Upright Piano
Band: Ivan & Friends

Post by iv0luti0n » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:34 am

Sounds pretty neat from the demos I've heard.

At this price point there is no way you can get a synth with a one knob per function, so I'd like to see how efficient the UI is.

It is a little surprising that they only got 12 voices of polyphony, considering the GAIA is also sampled and has 64 voices of polyphony along with a lot more controls for about $200 more.

I do like the styling and full-size keys.

We should ask Jexus to buy one! :lol: I wonder how he would rate it.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:48 am

Actually I don't think it's a ROMpler at all, it's a VA that also runs samples through the VA engine, like the Blofeld, Nord Wave, V-Synth etc.

It's funny, one guy on the internet says it's a rompler and then all of a sudden people take it as fact.

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:35 am

it makes some pretty sweet sounds, but i've been a little underwhelmed with the UI of the one we've got @ work. For the $ though, its gonna give the micokorg/micorkorg xl/micron/miniak a solid competitor, especially for anyone that is happy doing the bulk of their editing on their computer.

With all that said, for a few hundred dollars more, i really like the ultranova that just came out a whole lot more in terms of interface and options.