Power Consumption in your studio.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Nightshade
Gear: Roland Juno-106.
Cheetah ms6.
Alesis Photon x25.
Roland TR-606.
Yamaha ytp-210.
Silvertone bass guitar.
Dulcimer.
Accordian.
Alesis QuadraVerb GT.
Band: Heart of Thorns; AFE

Power Consumption in your studio.

Post by Nightshade » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:52 pm

So, my father-in-law (with whom i live with) complains about my gear staying on.
At the moment, my (powered-on) studio contains:
Cheetah ms6
tr-606
kawai q-80
BOSS br-532
yamaha keyboard/controller

I leave all those things powered on all the time.
How much energy does that consume? A lot, or a little?

And I've been wondering: even if I turn them off when I am not using them, if they stay plugged-in, don't they still consume electricity?

What I will probably do is just leave things turned off when I am not using them (with the exception of the Cheetah, the RAM backup battery is poor).
But I was just curious whether or not it makes a difference leaving them off but plugged in or just leaving them on.
Roland TR-606.
Yamaha ytp-210.
Silvertone bass guitar.
Dulcimer.
Accordian.
Alesis QuadraVerb GT.
DOD Death Metal Pedal.
BOSS Distortion.
BOSS br-532.
Kawai Q-80.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Re: Power Consumption in your studio.

Post by th0mas » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:58 pm

Yes it will make a big difference. Get a kill-a-watt to find out the real numbers. My library has one available for borrowing.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:14 pm

As a general rule: Wall-warts use power when plugged in, even if the device they power is off. (very nearly) All music equipment with a line cord are 'dead' when turned off, even if plugged in.
Don't know the exact power requirements of all your gear, but a guess is that is certainly not more that 100 Watts.
Quite little unless your electric rates are thru the roof. I'm a paranoid old geezer and I power everything in my shop down when I leave... mostly to minimize the danger of fire from a hot soldering iron, or a broken synth under test overheating.
Last edited by rhino on Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:14 pm

I would say, yes.

I would turn them off when not in use and during thunder/lightning storms, and during brown outs and during risks of power interruptions. Also, I suggest getting a new battery.

Happy NY!
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:28 pm

My synthesizers only use between 15 and 30 watts each. Really not that much power, so if I'm working on a project I leave them on if I leave for a few hours. I contradict Th0mas, I don't think you'll really notice a significant increase or decrease in power bills by changing your habits. However, I live in an area with some of the lowest electric rates in the USA, if you lived in Hawaii or something you might want to be more careful. Or if you have a tube-amp or an overclocked desktop PC.

Nightshade
Cheetah ms6.
Alesis Photon x25.
Roland TR-606.
Yamaha ytp-210.
Silvertone bass guitar.
Dulcimer.
Accordian.
Alesis QuadraVerb GT.

Post by Nightshade » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:36 pm

Thanks a lot for all the input! :)

And Happy New year to you all as well. :)

Now for a little different angle of view on the topic: the DCOs on my ms6 and even my Juno-106 (which isnt in my studio at the moment) keep the synths from going out of tune. Does leaving them on have any effect on the digitally-controlled oscillators?

But as far as the filters are concerned i feel like if i leave them on then they stay nice and warm. And I HAVE noticed a difference in sound in regards to whether i leave it on constantly or not. The strings and pads sound.....richer - for lack of a better term - if I leave them on. But you all know what I am saying.

However, how much of the last paragraph holds true for all of you?

And also on a side note, the ms6 used to get REAL hot after leaving it on, almost hot enough to make an over-easy egg. But Now it doesn't get that hot anymore.
Any thoughts on why?

Lastly, in regards to a fire... that would be terrible. But I don't think the ms6 gets so hot to start something around it or even touching it on fire. I used to have my Alesis QuadraVerb GT on top of the Cheetah in my rack-stack with a few other racks below the ms6, but there was never ever a problem.
Roland TR-606.
Yamaha ytp-210.
Silvertone bass guitar.
Dulcimer.
Accordian.
Alesis QuadraVerb GT.
DOD Death Metal Pedal.
BOSS Distortion.
BOSS br-532.
Kawai Q-80.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:44 pm

When I had lots of instruments, what I would do was plug it all into power strips. I would turn the power strip(s) off when I was away, and turn it back on when it was time to write music. I'd also leave the machines in the "on" position so they would all boot up simultaneously. Kind of a cool trick learned from my dad. It's perfectly safe to do this as far as I know.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Nightshade
Cheetah ms6.
Alesis Photon x25.
Roland TR-606.
Yamaha ytp-210.
Silvertone bass guitar.
Dulcimer.
Accordian.
Alesis QuadraVerb GT.

Post by Nightshade » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:31 pm

Alex E wrote:When I had lots of instruments, what I would do was plug it all into power strips. I would turn the power strip(s) off when I was away, and turn it back on when it was time to write music. I'd also leave the machines in the "on" position so they would all boot up simultaneously. Kind of a cool trick learned from my dad. It's perfectly safe to do this as far as I know.
Yeah that is what I probably will do.

I still may want to find a way to keep my 106 (when i get it back) and the Cheetah on all the time though so the filters stay warm.
I will probably keep them plugged into a second power strip or something.
Roland TR-606.
Yamaha ytp-210.
Silvertone bass guitar.
Dulcimer.
Accordian.
Alesis QuadraVerb GT.
DOD Death Metal Pedal.
BOSS Distortion.
BOSS br-532.
Kawai Q-80.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:23 am

Alex E wrote:When I had lots of instruments, what I would do was plug it all into power strips. I would turn the power strip(s) off when I was away, and turn it back on when it was time to write music. I'd also leave the machines in the "on" position so they would all boot up simultaneously. Kind of a cool trick learned from my dad. It's perfectly safe to do this as far as I know.
You don't want to do that on anything that uses a lot of power, like amps etc. The inrush current as they're first turned on and the caps fill up is much higher than the normal current draw, and you can blow a fuse/trip a safety switch in your house quite easily.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:59 am

In my humble opinion, since you're asking...

Power the s**t down. If you're worried about battery back up, time to get a battery and replace the old.

For current draw, most libraries (and the electric company, certainly) will have these nifty little devices to measure operating current, as someone earlier pointed out. Regardless of how much draw the machine uses, it's still drawing current either way. Do your old man a favor, and do everyone else a favor and save a watt or two.

My studio gets re-organized from time to time, since I'm such an OCD freak, I have to change certain aspects of my workflow, otherwise I start getting claustrophobic. Therefore, each rack has it's own independent switched power strip feeding into a 2400 watt power conditioner, and then battery backup. (I told you... OCD) The s**t gets shut down when I'm done dicking around in the studio. All wall warts are on those switched power strips (tripp-lite rack mount) so they are completely offline when everything else is.

Each rack is independently powered and switchable, and for other bits like the high-current s**t like the speakers and power amp they're on their own power strip. Reduces the likelihood of me opening up the 5th seal of h**l. Literally. My waldorf XTk makes a silly little squeak when it boots up, which with enough energy behind it will make you tinkle yourself. Least it almost did me.

I said ALMOST.

Either way, If you really can't deal with the elderly synths being powered down with the newer kit, then get two power strips and act accordingly.

And honestly, I can't speak to things being energized for long lengths of time sounding any better than a couple minutes after energizing (although I have heard stories of the extremely-elderly taking 5-10 minutes to heat up enough to warrant stable oscillator use. (VCO versus DCO)

To cause a fire I would expect that some part or parts of your gear would either have to be (a) malfunctioning, (b) running for long lengths of time with no heat sink/exhaust, or (c) malfunctioning. Obviously, being on all the time opens up doors to the malfunctioning bit, but... to what degree? You mentioned the ms6 used to get uber hot. Was that when it was racked with other gear? Was that gear allowed to breathe (space between them)?? Is it different now? If the heat has no way out, it will collect. Hello bonfire.

I guess my simple opinion would be: shut the s**t off when you're not using it, get the battery replaced on the cheetah, and create peace and harmony in the household which you inhabit.

-Nick
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:06 am

I had an electronics class and they always reminded us that moisture and heat and big vibrations are prime enemies of electronics. So if you leave stuff on all the time it's eventually going to get too hot and will break down. Plus it wastes electricity.

So turn stuff off... especially in the summertime when the ambient air is already hot.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:18 am

@astroidmist: (odd choice of handle for what I'm about to describe) :D

moisture, heat and large vibrations are an enemy of everything. Ever went running in 100 degree humid weather?

Man, fruit is not DESIGNED to wick the moisture off. And by fruit I mean kiwis and bananas. And by moisture I mean the f**k brazilian rainforest in your shorts.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:50 pm

I have everything plugged into power strips. I can turn on and off everything in the studio, except the computer/828/amp, with three switch throws. The 828 and the amp are on independent power so I can turn them on when I just want to use the computer to play Itunes or something. I turn everything off at the end of the day, as a precaution against lightning. We took a lightning hit last spring that blew up about $1000 in network and home automation gear, but I didn't lose anything in the studio because all of the power strips were off (and I have surge protection on everything).

I don't know that I'd leave a Juno-106 on all the time because of the 80017a issue. I have two pieces of gear, the 106 and the EML 101, that I only turn on when I know I'm going to be using them. (However, once I've turned them on, I leave them on until I'm ready to shut down for the night.)
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:18 pm

I've got all my gear, and a little desk-lamp (switch left in the on position) that's clipped to my keyboard stand, plugged into two power strips that are plugged into a lightswitch-controlled outlet.

I try to turn all the gear off individually, but if I forget something, as long as I've flipped the wall switch and the lamp is off, I know everything else is too. It's a very convenient set up and highly recommended if you have a switched outlet or two handy.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:13 pm

While on this topic, I've heard the advice "plug all your devices in a star pattern" more than once for ground loop prevention. WTF does that mean? Diagrams, anybody?