Power Consumption in your studio.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Re: Power Consumption in your studio.

Post by balma » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:29 pm

Disconnect first the things that have signal inputs. I mean, first, the stereo system or the plant, then the mixers, the synths at the end.
Always turn down the volume, and inputs line in, before turning them off.

I always unplug everything. I never let anything connected, voltage in my country has a lot of peaks, specially on the transition from dry to rainy season. Some things explodes here from time to time
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:13 am

th0mas wrote:While on this topic, I've heard the advice "plug all your devices in a star pattern" more than once for ground loop prevention. WTF does that mean? Diagrams, anybody?
With ordinary house wiring, the best way is to run everything off a single outlet. You can chain power strips as long as you keep the total wattage low. This keeps everything at (nearly) the same ground potential. Where you run into problems with this is when you have several computers and amps you need to power. You can have an electrician put in a two- or three-gang box so you can have several outlets in the same place, as long as you aren't exceeding the total capability of the circuit.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:23 pm

This was in the news recently here in the UK, a whole family wiped out due to a wall-wart for a mobile phone setting the place on fire:

Phone charger may be cause of family death blaze

I've got all my wall-warts on individually switched extensions. I came to the conclusion I don't need to have it all on at once. As long as you've not using MIDI thrus on unused synths it works well, just invest in some proper MIDI thru boxes.

goom

Post by goom » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:01 pm

I turn off all my gear each time I'm done playing them. If I know I won't be using them for a long period, I'll unplug everything. I especially will unplug everything if I know rain is on the way. I knew someone who had all the electronics in his house blown away due to a lightning strike. This included EVERYTHING electronic - even the stuff that was turned OFF. Think about it - lightning can travel from cloud level to ground (or vice versa). In some cases MILES through air. It's not hard for it to travel through a power switch in the off position.

As for your gear sounding better when it's warm - Even if it were off for a year or more, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to be at stable operating temperature. In most cases it will be less than that. For some, much less.

Also think about when your gear is turned on. It is connected (via the AC line) to everything in the house, your neighbor's houses, and really - everything in the power grid in your area. Every piece of machinery (air conditioners, power tools, generators, etc) is adding noise/surges/spikes to the line that will be powering your gear. Of course, your gear is designed to filter all of that crud out, but I wouldn't want to subject it to that 24 hours a day if I'm not using any of it.

goom

Post by goom » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:13 pm

If you're interested in how much power your gear consumes when on OR turned off, check out this cool tool:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM178106575P

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:38 pm

This suggests that energy savings from unplugging are not too significant: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... plugged-in

Still a good idea to unplug during thunderstorms though. A building I lived in a few years ago was struck by lightning. It was a five-story building (the strike caused a fire on the roof, fortunately the fire station was very close by and they put it out quickly), I lived on the second floor, but it was close enough for the strike to fry the network card in my computer. Fortunately all my gear was unplugged, so nothing else was damaged.

Though I still have some very unpleasant memories of standing around in the rain, very angry cat in cat carrier, crossing my fingers for the firemen to get the fire out (at least I wasn't the poor bastard on the top floor who likely had everything he owned soaked with water).
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

goom

Post by goom » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:00 pm

re: power savings - Yes, most synths and related gear use little power. Power amplifiers running at medium to loud volumes can consume lots though.

drjay51

Post by drjay51 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:41 pm

Hey nightshade, your missing the point here, you have failed to properly identify your problem. Your problem has nothing to do with technology, power consumption, grounding, safety, or anything else based on reality. Your problem is your Father in Laws perception and/or his emotional state. As long as you are living in his house you gotta keep him comfortable. If he believes your equipment is burning up kilowatts then turn it off. Period. You are married to his daughter (I assume, maybe it's his son? whatever) and as someone who has been married for over 30 years I can tell you that if the wife is not happy, no one is happy. You have added her parents to the deal because you are in their home. So if Dad is not happy, his daughter will not be happy and you will be completely miserable.

If you have a really good relationship with the man you could try to find out what he is really thinking or feeling. If he's concerned about the cost of electricity then you could offer to pay part of the electric bill. If he's concerned about safety then you could offer to install smoke detectors and a fire extinguisher. If he's into reducing his carbon footprint then you either have to install a solar PV panel or shut it off. But all of this is risky because you could be opening up a can or worms that you reeeeaally will wish you left alone.

I used to have a Prodigy and it took a few minutes for it to warm up to get in tune and hold pitch. Even when I brought it in from a cold car in winter it didn't take more than 10 minutes, and usually less than 5. Is this whole thing worth thinking and worrying about for a few minutes of time? Power up the old stuff first, drink your coffee or brewski and play with one of the other toys first. Keep life simple.

Good Luck

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:52 am

drjay51 wrote:Hey nightshade, your missing the point here, you have failed to properly identify your problem. Your problem has nothing to do with technology, power consumption, grounding, safety, or anything else based on reality. Your problem is your Father in Laws perception and/or his emotional state. As long as you are living in his house you gotta keep him comfortable. If he believes your equipment is burning up kilowatts then turn it off. Period. You are married to his daughter (I assume, maybe it's his son? whatever) and as someone who has been married for over 30 years I can tell you that if the wife is not happy, no one is happy. You have added her parents to the deal because you are in their home. So if Dad is not happy, his daughter will not be happy and you will be completely miserable.

If you have a really good relationship with the man you could try to find out what he is really thinking or feeling. If he's concerned about the cost of electricity then you could offer to pay part of the electric bill. If he's concerned about safety then you could offer to install smoke detectors and a fire extinguisher. If he's into reducing his carbon footprint then you either have to install a solar PV panel or shut it off. But all of this is risky because you could be opening up a can or worms that you reeeeaally will wish you left alone.

I used to have a Prodigy and it took a few minutes for it to warm up to get in tune and hold pitch. Even when I brought it in from a cold car in winter it didn't take more than 10 minutes, and usually less than 5. Is this whole thing worth thinking and worrying about for a few minutes of time? Power up the old stuff first, drink your coffee or brewski and play with one of the other toys first. Keep life simple.

Good Luck
:? you have to be a certain kind of person to use this approach. i'm not that kind of person! maybe nightshade is, and maybe he isn't. if you're father in law has a false perception that that your gear is using too much energy, are you not allowed to adress the issue correctly? do you have to begin with the presupposition that he's right in all circumstances because you live in his house? sounds more like fear and conflict aversion then respect, which is what you should have for the man. and besides, if you put your tail between your legs and accept him as being right even if he's not, how can he respect you? maybe you will be just as miserable. you don't have to be a d**k about it either: compromising is a good thing. compromise! also, maybe he just want's to throw you the ball to see what you do with it. did my daughter marry someone who can handle himself, or did she marry a push over?

anyway, i wouldn't leave my gear plugged in all the time anyway. your ear picks out what you focus on depending on what you're looking for. if you're really worried about it, make two identical recordings, one warm and one cold, and see if you can guess which is which by the sound alone by toggling it randomly, or having someone select one for you randomly without you looking at the screen. i strongly believe you won't be able to pick out which recording was done with the warm gear and which was done with the cold gear by sound alone.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...