Making Evolver Sound Analog

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Making Evolver Sound Analog

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:29 am

So... As many of you may know, I pretty much have expectations for it to sound a lot like my Pro~One. Well, I can get close, and almost get that sizzle, but it's still not as hot or raw. Is this something which can be overcome, or is it simply the whole DCO v. VCO argument which I used to always write off? Another thing that I've noticed is the clicking which many others have reported earlier on. :cry:
bonne chance

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Re: Making Evolver Sound Analog

Post by aredj » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:22 pm

Expectations are the root of disappointment... ;)

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:53 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:So... As many of you may know, I pretty much have expectations for it to sound a lot like my Pro~One.
It'll never happen. :cry:

Back in 2001 or whenever, when the Evolver was first announced and he took pre-orders, I jumped right in. I think I got serial #22 or something. I sold my Pro-One after pre-ordering, several months before the Evolver was due to even start shipping. I figured it would sound similar enough but with the addition of digital waves. No way. Even with the digital waveforms turned down it lacks the magic of a Pro-One. It's probably a combination of a lot of things - the oscillators are definitely different and that's probably the biggest part. But I bet gain staging has a lot to do with it too. A filter can really change character depending on how hot the input signal is. And my guess is that the Evolver has to keep signals low due to the AD/DA stages so there is enough internal headroom to avoid digital clipping.

I sold my original Evolver and since then have bought and sold 2 more over the years. It's been a love/hate thing, but I won't buy another one because I know I'll eventually get frustrated with it. I've considered a Tetra but I hate the interface. I've realized that real-time knobs are really important to me and I hate anything with menus. I'd really prefer to have my old Pro-One back, but prices on those have more than doubled since I sold mine. Instead I started a Eurorack modular and I'm turning it into my "dream mono" of sorts. It's all knobs, no menus and I'm happy.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:07 pm

I definitely agree with you on the A/DA, chips, stages etc. It makes me sad, but at least I didn't sell my Pro~One, though I am in need of money so selling the Evolver. Makes it a little easier I guess. There are some small things which ended up making a difference in not using it as much as I anticipated. Lack of a universal glide actually bothered me more than I thought it would :lol:
bonne chance

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:42 pm

I'm not being a smart a*s here - but wouldn't you want your pro one to sound like a pro one, and your mono evolver to sound like a mono evolver? If they sounded the same...what would be the point in owning both?

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:49 pm

rharris07 wrote:I'm not being a smart a*s here - but wouldn't you want your pro one to sound like a pro one, and your mono evolver to sound like a mono evolver? If they sounded the same...what would be the point in owning both?
One can be repaired for $25 when taken out. The other can be repaired starting at $70/hour. You raise a valid point, so I don't consider it being a smart a*s. I do embrace the other features of Émiliaa, but in the end I do still want that flexibility to not always worry about expensive repairs and hard to find parts.
bonne chance

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:20 pm

My guess is, besides the aforementioned hot audio signal path and a better quality circuit board design than the Evolver, the Pro~One gets some of its character from passive mixing of the oscillators to the filter input. The CEM3340 has kind of a raw character about it anyway.
I keep hearing that the Future Retro XS comes closer to the character of the Pro~One, but demos don't have me convinced. I think my Polivoks sounds like it sometimes, only with 10 times the attitude, and clicks on every gate, and a much, much noisier VCA.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:27 pm

I guess only a Pro~One could beat a Pro~One. :D It's a shame I needed to sell the other one I had as I was only "babysitting" it. I found myself playing the combo of two more than P1 & Evolver. I think it's just something about being able to try new sounds with all the knobs there. As many knobs as the evolver has, there are still so many menu options. I think a more hands on mod matrix would have been nice, even if it sacrificed some of the routings.
bonne chance

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:06 pm

Solderman wrote:I keep hearing that the Future Retro XS comes closer to the character of the Pro~One, but demos don't have me convinced.
If you keep the filter resonance turned down low and also turn down the oscillators in the mixer section below the saturation point, you'll get tones a lot closer to a Pro-One. Unfortunately pretty much every demo of the XS goes into overdrive acid territory.

On this page:
http://www.future-retro.com/xsoverview.html
Start the demo player and then hit the "back" button once. It will be playing "Synth Sounds Part 12". That's along the lines of what I'm talking about. I don't have an XS, just played with one once and it does have a more traditional "non-acid" side if you want it to.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:39 pm

From my listening/testing standpoint, the closest you'll get to a Pro-One is the Future Retro 777. Have you considered the Mopho Keyboard instead? I have no experience with it, but I'm sure someone could chime in on it.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:54 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:From my listening/testing standpoint, the closest you'll get to a Pro-One is the Future Retro 777. Have you considered the Mopho Keyboard instead? I have no experience with it, but I'm sure someone could chime in on it.
Nah, from my understanding the MoPho is essentially the analog section with added suboscillators and a 25 key board. I think I'd rather just have two Pro~One's at this point anyway. I don't imagine the suboscillators would really help; while they may make a thicker and deeper sound, that's a sound thicker and deeper than the two oscillators on the Pro~One. :?
bonne chance

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:18 am

I had an Evolver and a Mopho at the same time. They sounded different enough to keep both. The Mopho is your best bet for getting close to the Pro-One sound. These are 2 of the best modern synths made imo. I only sold them to fund a modular system.
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:41 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:
rharris07 wrote:I'm not being a smart a*s here - but wouldn't you want your pro one to sound like a pro one, and your mono evolver to sound like a mono evolver? If they sounded the same...what would be the point in owning both?
One can be repaired for $25 when taken out. The other can be repaired starting at $70/hour. You raise a valid point, so I don't consider it being a smart a*s. I do embrace the other features of Émiliaa, but in the end I do still want that flexibility to not always worry about expensive repairs and hard to find parts.
What do you imagine could be repaired for $25 on an Evolver? In my experience SMT boards are much harder to work on than through-hole, meaning they'd both be starting at $70 and hour.

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:28 am

Why the fascination with DSI stuff anyway? Just sayin.. You have a pro-one... why not try to get something with another flavor instead of trying to get something else to emulate what you already have? Go SSM!!

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:54 pm

I think the new DSI products are definitely worth owning - BECAUSE of their different character (they need pot versions of every synth though!)