Making Evolver Sound Analog

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
rockmanrock

Re: Making Evolver Sound Analog

Post by rockmanrock » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:12 pm

I ended up selling my Evolver too. It was too fiddly (I can manage my Pulse but the Evolver was about 3 times as deep), and the sound never seemed right to my ears. There's a lot packed into it, which makes for some whizz-bang sounds but the fundamental tone isn't particularly pleasant. Put next to my EX8000 it sounds harsh and ugly. I don't think I'm a fan of wide stereo sounds either.

Rather than trying to get it to sound analogue I would say get another synth.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:27 pm

I can't seem to find a straight answer, but does the Mopho Keys have pots or encoders?

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:02 pm

cartesia wrote:I think the new DSI products are definitely worth owning - BECAUSE of their different character
I guess that is where my thinking stops too...I don't understand why you'd buy something new that is designed to stand on it's own, but expect it to emulate another synth. I understand the same guy is behind the two - but he clearly states in the description for the Evolver that it is not going backwards, but going forwards in terms of design and sound.

I don't think that a guy has to think about picking up something different just because he already owns something from Dave Smith - if you love that sound, buy everything you want from him. I personally wouldn't buy two of one synth unless I intended on buying a second one to trade or sell, but as far as buying a Pro One, Prophet 600, MEK and Prophet 08...s**t...I I own 2 of those four, and eventually plan on owning all 4. I don't see the problem - no one should force someone else to buy variety, BUT I just don't think it's a smart purchase to buy an MEK hoping it'll be identical to a Pro One. It was never meant to be.

That'd be like me buying a Little Phatty and then complaining about how I just can't get it to have the exact rich, thick Moog sound that a Model D has.....

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:40 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:I can't seem to find a straight answer, but does the Mopho Keys have pots or encoders?
I own one, most of it is pots, except for the things that wouldn't make sense as pots like patch choice, the multi-parameter section, etc.

the encoders that ARE there however, on mine at least, are a bit buggy. steppy and the usual signs of cheap encoders. Not happy about that on a brand new synth.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:08 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:What do you imagine could be repaired for $25 on an Evolver? In my experience SMT boards are much harder to work on than through-hole, meaning they'd both be starting at $70 and hour.
The DSI website makes it appear that it is $25 for out of warranty service, and another $25 for a board swap. I guess that's actually $50, but unless I'm misunderstanding, still cheaper.
THEODICY wrote:Why the fascination with DSI stuff anyway? Just sayin.. You have a pro-one... why not try to get something with another flavor instead of trying to get something else to emulate what you already have? Go SSM!!
Well, just like Ryan said, I like the sound of the stuff. As for SSM, I already have a BitOne with SSM 2044 filter chips :)
rharris07 wrote:I don't understand why you'd buy something new that is designed to stand on it's own, but expect it to emulate another synth. I understand the same guy is behind the two - but he clearly states in the description for the Evolver that it is not going backwards, but going forwards in terms of design and sound. I don't see the problem - no one should force someone else to buy variety, BUT I just don't think it's a smart purchase to buy an MEK hoping it'll be identical to a Pro One. It was never meant to be.
I never bought it assuming it would emulate it spot on, but I did have enough hope that I would be able to do a lot of things the Pro~One isn't capable of while also being able to have straight analog patches close enough in sound/character to travel with or take out when I don't want to risk damaging something older. Look at my other posts on the Evolver and you'll see that I'm the first one to say they're all new creations and not "throwback" models. I still had just hoped I could use it for some more sizzly patches. But back to the topic, this thread wasn't really meant to complain or b***h about the Evolver, it's a great board; I just wanted to see if anyone had some insight on making it sound a little hotter.
bonne chance

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:22 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote: I still had just hoped I could use it for some more sizzly patches. But back to the topic, this thread wasn't really meant to complain or b***h about the Evolver, it's a great board; I just wanted to see if anyone had some insight on making it sound a little hotter.

mmm I've played around with mine quite a bit, and though I love the particular sound character it has, I don't know that I've ever gotten it closer to a sizzle type sound that the classic SCI synths had. Is that the digital side keeping it from getting too hot and allowing some more "dangerous" sounds to be designed...probably so. It does feel very "safe," if I can use that term, when creating sounds with it. I know they are not drastically different, but I've always been able to create more piercing and unusual patches with my P'08 than my MEK. Though lately any time I play the MEK, I use it for clean, neat lead sounds....so lately I've not been trying to go out on a limb with creating some extremely classic sounds.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

Richard Gear

Post by Richard Gear » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:33 pm

If you like sizzle hot analog sounds and the Pro-One, why don't you give the Micromoog a try?

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:38 am

Richard Gear wrote:If you like sizzle hot analog sounds and the Pro-One, why don't you give the Micromoog a try?
Because I have a Pro~One..? If I were buying any Moog's, it'd be a Source. Besides, the point is that the Evolver is new and can be repaired by the OEM.
bonne chance

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:42 am

rharris07 wrote:
mmm I've played around with mine quite a bit, and though I love the particular sound character it has, I don't know that I've ever gotten it closer to a sizzle type sound that the classic SCI synths had. Is that the digital side keeping it from getting too hot and allowing some more "dangerous" sounds to be designed...probably so. It does feel very "safe," if I can use that term, when creating sounds with it. I know they are not drastically different, but I've always been able to create more piercing and unusual patches with my P'08 than my MEK. Though lately any time I play the MEK, I use it for clean, neat lead sounds....so lately I've not been trying to go out on a limb with creating some extremely classic sounds.
The Evolver (Mono or Poly) is capable of all sorts of unsafe, piercing and unusual patches! Are you sure you have an Evolver? ;)

sequentialsoftshock wrote:So... As many of you may know, I pretty much have expectations for it to sound a lot like my Pro~One. Well, I can get close, and almost get that sizzle, but it's still not as hot or raw. Is this something which can be overcome, or is it simply the whole DCO v. VCO argument which I used to always write off? Another thing that I've noticed is the clicking which many others have reported earlier on. :cry:

Not sure what you mean by "hot" and "raw" exactly, but I can get the Evolver's DCOs to sound very VCO-like with the Osc Slop, some detuning, and maybe a subtle LFO. To me the difference between VCO and DCO is that VCOs tend to stray so you have to force them not to, where as DCOs tend to be static so you have to force them not to.

I've had the Evolver module, Tetra, and Prophet 600 and decided on the PEK because it covers much of the territory of all of those. No, it doesn't sound exactly like the P600 but the Pro One doesn't sound quite like the Prophet 5, etc.