Vince Clarke - 'The Cabin'

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Vince Clarke - 'The Cabin'

Post by silikon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:46 am

Has anyone had a look at this? It's short, but I just about wet myself. I knew that there was this mythical beast called the 'Cabin' that VInce Clarke had that housed his synthdom, but this slayed me...

ARP's and obie's and roland's, oh my!

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/motherboard/ele ... nce-clarke
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Vince Clarke - 'The Cabin'

Post by Z » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:22 pm

Be sure to check out his video blogs where he demos some of his classic synths:
http://www.vinceclarkemusic.com/video/index.html

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:50 pm

Great, great links, guys! Clarke's studio setup and songwriting philosophy is inspiring . . . :)

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:57 am

Lucky indeed. The background song that bookends that video is the instrumental version of Any Second Now, which I covered last year.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rschnier » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:18 am

Thanks a bunch for posting this. He seems like a very "real" kind of person. Very inspiring.
-- R.

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:01 am

Thanks for the links. Vince is awesome. Such talent, and he seems really down-to-earth too.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:54 am

Great! Funny guy :)

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:06 pm

Solderman wrote:Lucky indeed. The background song that bookends that video is the instrumental version of Any Second Now, which I covered last year.

That it a terrific cover! I kept waiting for Martin to start singing. What instruments did you use to make it?

Anyways, Clarke is one of my favorites, and The Cabin is a thing of beauty. I do not know about you, but would spend whole days in there moving from synth to synth.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:49 pm

Neonlights84 wrote:
Solderman wrote:Lucky indeed. The background song that bookends that video is the instrumental version of Any Second Now, which I covered last year.
That is a terrific cover! I kept waiting for Martin to start singing. What instruments did you use to make it?
Mucho thanks. JP8-lead, Polivoks-Bass, Minikorg-chimes, SH101-squeeky synth, the rest is Moog Voyager. I've gotten rid of over half that gear since, so it's nice to hear them together once in a while.

Back on topic, I like the use of the System 100m in that video. If I want to experience something like The Cabin, I go visit Z's shop. :)
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 pm

Z wrote:Be sure to check out his video blogs where he demos some of his classic synths:
http://www.vinceclarkemusic.com/video/index.html
=D> those are great little vids

LBN

Post by LBN » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:35 am

Check out his Twitter feed. He's kind of funny and has continuing adventures with the cat.

http://twitter.com/thecabinstudio

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:36 pm

new video up for the Syrinx. Wonderful sounding machine, that is.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:55 pm

I am very grateful that upon seeing that room full of all of the best synths ever... instead of envy, I just felt stress. At the point at which I had the most analog synths I've ever had... it was stressful. Knowing I had all of them and that I wasn't playing them all and that all of them were aging... I don't know. It was almost unpleasant. I felt that way seeing those rows of gear. Whew. : )

One single bit of envy, though... he has the one synth I want and will never have. I'm tempted to see if anyone wants to guess... it's shown VERY frequently in the video... but I'll just say. During most of the points where he's speaking, you can see a Korg PS-3300 behind him. The most powerful and most perfect polyphonic ever put into production.

As for him, he's nice enough. It's just that the whole "everyman" quality regarding music that came out of England from the late-seventies on makes me shudder. What aspiration could possibly compare to "we used synths because they seemed easy." Reminds me of that part in 24 Hour Party People: "And tonight something equally epoch-making is taking place. See? They're applauding the DJ. Not the music, not the musician, not the creator, but the medium. This is it. The birth of rave culture."
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Vast Halo

Post by Vast Halo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:31 pm

Bitter muso decries successful pop star shocker.
;)

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:10 pm

Vast Halo wrote:Bitter muso decries successful pop star shocker.
;)
Yes, I was wrong. Vince Clarke is just so incredibly... uh... revered by synth geeks that he is absolutely beyond ANY sort of analysis or criticism. I don't know what I was thinking by making such a horribly condemning benign observation about a philosophical difference.
The only way a person could have any sort of criticism for Vince Clarke would be if they were jealous of his synths and/or fame.
Please forgive my transgression.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay