New DSI instrument!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Re: New DSI instrument!

Post by loungedumore » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:53 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
vintagesynth wrote:$2,000!!!! :shocked: I guess this Drum Machine has soul?
That's the same RRP as the MPC2500, but that has no analogue bits, so it's not all that crazy for a drum machine. (Yes I know the 2500 is a lot more than just a drum machine).
It's also less than the Prophet 08, and it's got almost as many voices, a sequencer and a more complex sound engine (HPF + Samples + 5 Envelopes FTW). In fact if you want to compare it to anything it should be the PEK, which is more expensive, has fewer voices and is less complex. Looking at it like that $2,000 is a good deal.
Ashe37 wrote:Yes, its $2k...
but a poly evolver rack is $1500 and has *two less voices*...
from a synth standpoint, it has 2 more voices than a PER or PEK.
Oh, and apparently it has a whole drum machine thing going on, too.
Not saying it's a bad price point it seams like it's well worth it ... lifespan of that sexy o-led not withstanding , but crazy for me to be considering . Consider it I will however .
Last edited by loungedumore on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:02 am

Store retail is always less than the MSRP. At any rate, it's worth it. I mean it's going to be 'the drums' on your record(s).

If I was going to noodle around and post loose samples on Soundcloud than yeah, that might be too much for another toy. I want to know how far it can be pushed into Groovebox territory... and how well it plays with other children.

Sound, I'm sold on. Sequencer, I'm in. looks great, font passes.
Begin accumulation of funds...
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro One, Analog Keys, Prophet 5, MPC60, TR606, RD8, St. Vincent Guitar, Bluesbreaker amp

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:26 am

griffin avid wrote:Store retail is always less than the MSRP.
As of right now, Nova Musik is listing their price at $1999. That's subject to change of course as the release is a few months away.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:31 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:
As of right now, Nova Musik is listing their price at $1999. That's subject to change of course as the release is a few months away.
Yeah they don't have one yet . It says call for price . IDK why they list it at map ...they do that when they don't know though always have .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:32 am

looks pretty sweet. time to sell those 808s... to me, muahaha!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro One, Analog Keys, Prophet 5, MPC60, TR606, RD8, St. Vincent Guitar, Bluesbreaker amp

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:33 am

loungedumore wrote:
sequentialsoftshock wrote:
Yeah they don't have one yet . It says call for price . IDK why they list it at map ...they do that when they don't know though always have .
Ahh I see that now! That is misleading as I wasn't thinking about ordering one so never looked there; just at the pricing information. As much as I'd like one of these, it's too much for me and I'd rather spend that amount on an 808. As much as I tend to shy from software, the Spark looks kind of cool.

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:52 am

id like to know if it can sequence other gear as well (ie send a bassline out to my cz5000 while the tempest is still taking care of the drums). i havent heard much on that, which probably means its a no
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:12 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:id like to know if it can sequence other gear as well (ie send a bassline out to my cz5000 while the tempest is still taking care of the drums). i havent heard much on that, which probably means its a no
You mean if it has a midi out that does anything?

The thing looks cool and sounds cool too, but not quite $2k cool enough for me. They should of kept the name Boomchic, I might have paid an extra grand for that name alone.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

vintagesynth
Retired Admin

Post by vintagesynth » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:18 am

Am I the only one here old enough to remember those bumper stickers, "Drum machines have no soul" ? Because that's all I was referring to with my comment... That for $2k - this drum machine must be the one that has finally got soul.

Retired admin. Please do not PM me for support.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:26 am

vintagesynth wrote:Am I the only one here old enough to remember those bumper stickers, "Drum machines have no soul" ? Because that's all I was referring to with my comment... That for $2k - this drum machine must be the one that has finally got soul.
Yes but their memories are going kind of wonky :P

Wonder who's soul its got in it?
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:40 am

Zamise wrote:
vintagesynth wrote:Am I the only one here old enough to remember those bumper stickers, "Drum machines have no soul" ? Because that's all I was referring to with my comment... That for $2k - this drum machine must be the one that has finally got soul.

Michael Jacksons
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:32 am

kuroichi wrote:
Zamise wrote:

Michael Jacksons
:)

I was thinking along the lines of what Stab said above though perhaps from another direction--was wondering what you could achieve with the Tempest that I couldn't with my MPC and my desktop evolver...and the answer came back (in addition to having everything in one piece and optimized for drums.beats): polyphony, additional voices, and, as he points out, a more sophisticated (at least on face) sound engine. If DSI decides to update the OS in the future to accept user-made samples, this becomes formidable indeed. The $2k price tag, while putting it beyond my current needs and priorities, seems adequately justified. I'm wondering how easy it will be to control with a MIDI keyboard--if you can, that has the potential to be one h**l of an "analog workstation" in a compact package.

I think it's very cool and exciting to see what Dave Smith is doing over the past few years, and at reasonable price points. I continue to rate the d-evo the #1 bargain in synth/sound processing gear.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:07 pm

The sad thing is that it will probably be around 3500$ - 4000$ here in Scandinavia.

GameChanger
Gear: MPC60

Post by GameChanger » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:14 pm

Keep in Mind, Roger says himself on his website that, the the LinnDrum2 is still in the works, and will come out next. I believe it will be modeled off of the tempest design, just more MPC like & digital not analog. Although the tempest to me looks sweet as can be. I will have to wait untill Linndrum2 arrives. I have already waited years and years, I can wait another ;)

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:57 pm

I say...um.....BOTH!

Why choose/ life is too short.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com