New DSI instrument!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
jaypodesta

Re: New DSI instrument!

Post by jaypodesta » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:24 am

Joey wrote:
jaypodesta wrote:Not sure what to make of the announcement here exactly?

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/products ... index.html

the other one is the linndrum 2, which will be a digital sampling workstation - as said by linn in the sonic state video
Missed that 'til now. Thanks.

Wonder what 2000 dollars will convert to in pounds and euros...

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:50 am

Usually it's 2000 :roll:
Stephen(2)

soundwave106

Post by soundwave106 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:47 am

vin14 wrote:Analog or not, $2000 is a h**l of a lot of cash for a drum machine!
I don't see many people complaining about $2000 for an MPC-5000. :)

It all depends on your needs etc. If the basis of the sonic engine is "expanded Evolver / Tetra", for instance, I can see this working quite nicely. Especially for genres that like harsher sounds, such as industrial music. Yeah, it's expensive, but what other hardware solutions give you that type of sound in an individual package? The MPC can't easily, its sample based (with an onboard VA, granted, but I'm not sure if the onboard VA can approach what this machine will do).

$2000 for a pure sampling machine is a little different. You are not only competing with the MPC (strong in sequencing), you are competing with the recently announced Elektron Octatrack (which I suspect is strongest in live sample manipulation).

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:56 am

I just watched the Gearwire video, Chris says the samples are from Goldbaby and FXpansion. Both of these companies have great sounding samples, particularly Goldbaby. My MPC is full of Goldbaby samples.

I'd still prefer if user samples were an option on the shipping OS, and I don't believe in buying something based on what OS updates may or may not happen in the future, but I really think I'm gonna get one of these. When they come out I'm gonna be in Europe playing some shows and having a holiday, might pick one up there if I can get a rebate on the tax when I leave. It looks and sounds freakin rad.

Pym

Post by Pym » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:43 am

Goldbaby and FXPansion were pretty much in my top 5 choices of sample companies to work with, super excited that they were kind enough to donate samples to our cause.

I'm happy to answer questions on the Tempest if you have anything specific, although do check the threads at gearslutz and the dsiforum.org pages to see if it's already been answered.

Stop by the booth if you're at NAMM and say hi!

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:09 am

Theres a post full of great answers on dsiforum.org...

here
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:28 am

The only thing I'm not 100% on from those threads is the operation of the individual outputs. Is each voice hard-wired to its output and plugging a jack to the individual output removes it from the mix outs? If it's not hard-wired it would be great to be able to send differing amounts of voices to individual outs to use as aux sends for fx. Would love to be able to have a delay and a reverb hooked up to a couple of individual outs and send voices to them so I could have fine control over my aux sends without needing a big desk, but I doubt it would work that way.

The other thing I was wondering about is how the individual outs would work using 16 different sounds at once. You touched on being able to control voice stealing to some extent, just wondering how voice allocation would work. Like if voice 1 was locked to kick, voice 2 to snare and voice 3 to a bassline would the remaining voices just round-robin the remaining sounds? I guess doing it that way would mean that polyphony might seem lower than 6 sometimes, but I suppose nobody is forcing you to use the individual outputs.

Also I'd love a monosynth based on that voice, but with user samples and a layout like the MEK. But sample start/end modulation, FMing etc would be a must.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:41 am

Oh yeah, one last thing: How do the pattern changes work? In the videos it looks like they change as soon as the pad is hit, unlike on an MPC where it waits till the end of the loop. Does that work like if I was in beat A and I hit the pad for beat B on the 2 it would still be on the 2 of beat B or would it go back to the 1? Cause as far as I know the SR-16 is the only drum machine that lets you switch like that and it's the best feature on it.

Congratulations on this by the way, it must feel good having such a big project finally out in public after all the work you've put in. :thumbleft:

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:40 pm

soundwave106 wrote:
vin14 wrote:Analog or not, $2000 is a h**l of a lot of cash for a drum machine!
I don't see many people complaining about $2000 for an MPC-5000. :)
I wouldn't pay $2000 for one of those either! :)

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:16 pm

What I want to know (and it would be a great feature) is can I store synth voices as singular things to recall. I.e let's say I spend a day making kick sounds, can I go back and pull up any kick sound I want? Or do I have to store the sound I make as part of a full kit?
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:25 pm

Joey wrote:What I want to know (and it would be a great feature) is can I store synth voices as singular things to recall. I.e let's say I spend a day making kick sounds, can I go back and pull up any kick sound I want? Or do I have to store the sound I make as part of a full kit?
very good question. let us know if you get the answer.

Kraig0078

Post by Kraig0078 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:54 pm

Im curious as to the planned polyphony count. I know it is 6 voices of analog but can you have seperate sample voices or is it one or the other?
Synths:Prophet 08,Prodigy,Mono/Poly,Juno 106
DX 21,Micro Q
Drums:X Base 09,MPC 1000,Battery 3

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:38 pm

Polyphony is 6. The samples run through the analogue voices, they aren't separate.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:02 pm

This looks and sounds great but at $2000 it may be too much for me (although I'm sure it's totally worth it). Far more exciting (to me) than that over hyped number 9 thingie.

I hope a scaled down (and less expensive), but equally impressive version comes out as well.

MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro One, Analog Keys, Prophet 5, MPC60, TR606, RD8, St. Vincent Guitar, Bluesbreaker amp

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:11 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:This looks and sounds great but at $2000 it may be too much for me (although I'm sure it's totally worth it). Far more exciting (to me) than that over hyped number 9 thingie.

I hope a scaled down (and less expensive), but equally impressive version comes out as well.

A modern day DR 55 :lol: