New DSI instrument!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Re: New DSI instrument!

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:57 pm

I fell short $$$-wise and didn't want to part with my Phatty to fund it. Instead I went with a Machinedrum and x0xb0x.

I am pretty sure Bhrama got his hands on one.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:18 am

jaypodesta wrote:Anyone on here got one of these now and if so how's it working out?
I have one, can't even explain how much I love this little box of beats. It's so much more than I thought it would be. A true keeper. I've been waiting to post about it's attributes and my opinion, as I can't seem to find any bad things yet...

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:39 am

bhrama wrote:
jaypodesta wrote:Anyone on here got one of these now and if so how's it working out?
I have one, can't even explain how much I love this little box of beats. It's so much more than I thought it would be. A true keeper. I've been waiting to post about it's attributes and my opinion, as I can't seem to find any bad things yet...
Must be something organic in the circuitry.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:01 am

This is my favourite Tempest vid so far..
crazy textures.
(apologies if this vid has already been posted)

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:17 am

DreamProbe.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:45 am

lazerface wrote:This is my favourite Tempest vid so far..
crazy textures.
(apologies if this vid has already been posted)

That was the fist time I got to see it. I loved the sounds.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:50 pm

bhrama wrote:I can't seem to find any bad things yet...
That is really good to hear.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:28 am

When can we talk about the NEXT dsi instrument? too early? :D

Mr. DiSco

Post by Mr. DiSco » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:46 am

Kidney05 wrote:When can we talk about the NEXT dsi instrument? too early? :D
http://thesynthesizersympathizer.blogsp ... .html#more
Finally, what's next for DSI? A new product? Can you give us any hints?
No plans yet; still busy on the Tempest. Probably nothing new for another year.
It seems like we'll have to wait, even if I'm already excited to see what comes next! 7 People can't put out too many products in a year! That would mean a drop in quality and creativity I guess...

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:46 am

Mr. DiSco wrote:
It seems like we'll have to wait, even if I'm already excited to see what comes next! 7 People can't put out too many products in a year! That would mean a drop in quality and creativity I guess...
glad you read my site :) i just want to speculate is all... i think DSI is at an interesting place because they have all their bases covered now... what else can they fit in their stellar line of products? they've got big things like the P08, little things like the Tetra, and then a cheap but awesome Mopho... what else is there to do?

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:03 pm

Kidney05 wrote:
Mr. DiSco wrote:
glad you read my site :) i just want to speculate is all... i think DSI is at an interesting place because they have all their bases covered now... what else can they fit in their stellar line of products? they've got big things like the P08, little things like the Tetra, and then a cheap but awesome Mopho... what else is there to do?
maybe something like the old SCI pro-fx???
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:57 am

Kidney05 wrote:i just want to speculate is all... i think DSI is at an interesting place because they have all their bases covered now... what else can they fit in their stellar line of products? they've got big things like the P08, little things like the Tetra, and then a cheap but awesome Mopho... what else is there to do?
The sample-playing wavetable-having Evolver 2 that I've been going on about for years.

Take an Evolver keyboard, remove the analogue oscs, expand the digital oscs to include wavetables and user loadable samples (longer than the single cycle ones you can already do in the Evolver) and give it a thorough amount of modulation options for the sample oscs (start point, end point, bit reduction, wavetable interpolation, loop size etc). Make an editor program to upload the samples via usb. Maybe add some of the tricks from the Tempest voices too.

Wouldn't be that much development work considering we already know that they're planning on trying to get user sample uploads to the Tempest OS. h**l, they could put one voice of a Tempest in a keyboard and sell it for the same as a Mopho keys and it would do well.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:24 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: The sample-playing wavetable-having Evolver 2 that I've been going on about for years.
Yes please! When I owned the MEK, I swear I unexpectedly ended up playing with the digital oscillators most of the time...

I totally back this vision...

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:49 am

Ok, with not sounding like a "fanboi",... the Tempest is so f**k amazing I can barely describe it properly. Just for a background check I've owned a MachineDrum and a Prophet 08PE (actually an original version which I modded for PE), I've owned an 808, 909, 606 and 303 so I understand the attributes and abilities of each and every one of these great pieces. Let me begin by saying I loved all of them, so much it pained me to sell them. But much like a book, I had my time with them, extracted the knowledge that I needed and moved on. No fault of theirs.

The Tempest, not only approaches the capabilities these great and iconic instruments possess, but furthers their vision. The Tempest is much more than a future glance to sonic landscapes, as it is an acknowledgment to the past. You can tweek, modified and sculpt each and every sound - even destroy a sound, if you will it. The kits, or preset "samples" are great enough for you to begin any sonic journey with ease, but you can simply design your own if you so choose. To add to the fact that DSI (Chris a.k.a PYM here on VSE), has been vigilant with answers and OS updates, shows the commitment from DSI to give us the best product available. DSI hit a grand slam with this product.

Fear not the Tempest, for she is deep and wide...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:27 pm

hyphen nation wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote: The sample-playing wavetable-having Evolver 2 that I've been going on about for years.
Yes please! When I owned the MEK, I swear I unexpectedly ended up playing with the digital oscillators most of the time...

I totally back this vision...
Totally the same. The analogue oscs in the Evo are pretty boring, all my favourite patches I've made use the digital ones. I've kind of gotten over it lately and have been running polysynths into the audio ins to make it interesting, but my modular is covering all my monosynth needs now. The ST E350 osc is amazing, would love two of those in an Evo.