New DSI instrument!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: New DSI instrument!

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:57 pm

lazerface wrote:This is my favourite Tempest vid so far..
crazy textures.
(apologies if this vid has already been posted)

That's actually quite an incredible video... I like seeing it used for non-percussive/melodic uses... sigh. I was pretty sure I could write this one off... maybe not :lol:
Do you even post on vse bro?

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:15 pm

lazerface wrote:This is my favourite Tempest vid so far..
crazy textures.
(apologies if this vid has already been posted)

The more I see/hear of this thing, the more awesome it gets!

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:06 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:That's actually quite an incredible video... I like seeing it used for non-percussive/melodic uses... sigh. I was pretty sure I could write this one off... maybe not :lol:
The only reason I know my local dealer has 20 more coming in all presold is having watched this I was sniffing around in there today. Seriously need to find the ca$h!

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:31 pm

Love love love this box. I'm starting to figure how to get one... the only thing I'm disappointed about (small disappointment really), after checking the manual, is there is no external sequencing. Not a big deal, but I wonder if this will be in future OS's... Has anyone heard anything regarding this? Yes maybe? or no way...

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:58 pm

This is from the DSI sites FAQ and features to be implemented:

Can I record a melodic part, bass line, or chords into Tempest from a MIDI keyboard or sequencer/DAW?
With OS version 1.1 or above, Tempest's Sounds can be played from an external MIDI keyboard or other MIDI controller, or a MIDI sequencer. Used strictly as a MIDI sound module, Tempest behaves as a six-voice analog poly synth. It responds to note messages and the "standard" controllers (pitch bend, mod wheel, aftertouch, channel pressure, etc.), provided that the Sound has those modulation sources routed to some destination.

When used to record notes to Tempest's sequencer...

Have you seen it?

Link here:

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/support/tempest.php

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:24 am

Very good video explaining the different sections and parameters of the Tempest

http://vincentwagner.info/2011/dave-smi ... eo-series/

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:28 am

Curious to hear from people who've experimented with the Tempest as a stand-alone synth.

I play bass synth in a band, could I use this as a synth module instead of the Moog Phatty?
Then as a drum machine/synth in my solo project..

what im getting at is.. do I sell my Moog Little Phatty and my Korg Electribe to help fund a Tempest - because it can do EVERYTHING?

musden
Gear: radikal technologies accelerator
Band: aipracs

Post by musden » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:56 am

lazerface wrote:Curious to hear from people who've experimented with the Tempest as a stand-alone synth.

I play bass synth in a band, could I use this as a synth module instead of the Moog Phatty?

what im getting at is.. do I sell my Moog Little Phatty and my Korg Electribe to help fund a Tempest - because it can do EVERYTHING?
Hello! In my opinion - yes, you can do it boldly! I hate contemporary moog synths, because this company lives in the times of 60-70s until now. Tempest on the other hand - is really interesting, innovative and very capable musical instrument, and not just a gadget or brand-named poor synth or whatever... But I think that few people think this way, so I'm happy with my opinion and tempest ))

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:24 am

musden wrote:
lazerface wrote:Curious to hear from people who've experimented with the Tempest as a stand-alone synth.

Hello! In my opinion - yes, you can do it boldly! I hate contemporary moog synths, because this company lives in the times of 60-70s until now. Tempest on the other hand - is really interesting, innovative and very capable musical instrument, and not just a gadget or brand-named poor synth or whatever... But I think that few people think this way, so I'm happy with my opinion and tempest ))
You are aware that the Moog Music of today is not the same company as in the 60s and 70s, right?

musden

Post by musden » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:07 am

"You are aware that the Moog Music of today is not the same company as in the 60s and 70s, right?"

Hello! I mean that Moog now produces synths (and Minitaur is very demonstrative) that hadnt any sense even in 80s. I've already written in one blog that many people are very quick on buying gadgets and branded analog synths with mysterious warmth and so on. But - it would has been ridiculous if any company had unveiled such synth, say, on NAMM 80! So moog now just the Brand. Sorry, but I cant imagine that anybody who interested in soundesign or in musical value would be buying such devices. That devices are poor as musical instruments, in my opinion. I rather buy Blofeld, wich I love (little and reasonably priced, digital, modern, interesting, deep and cool, very happy synth)!

And maybe that is interesting: for example, Oberheim and SC were much more innovative even in 80s compared it to Moog (prophet VS and Matrix12/Xpander vs memorymoog).

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:28 am

I know plenty of musicians buying modern Moog stuff. As many, I dare say, as DSI stuff, if not more.

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:20 pm

so what qualifies a synthesizer as a good instrument is whether or not it would have been popular in the 80's? :roll:
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

musden

Post by musden » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:45 pm

ColorForm2113 wrote:so what qualifies a synthesizer as a good instrument is whether or not it would have been popular in the 80's? :roll:
lol )) Many synth obviously have produced after 80s. Tempest is very capable, in some ways innovative, so in my mind it is great musical instrument. There are, however, some toys and so-called gadgets like minitaur, monotron etc - they are just funny things. All moog synths now, I think, pretty poor. Analog - so what? Monophonic - what a f**k? Many users on the forum are really happy, when somebody planning to produce new analog (or whatever else) toy, and they arent have any need in some useful features - polyphony, presets, midi, modulations - oh no-no! What for we need polyphony, this real analog thing, you dont need it, it is enough for you that we made analog (for example) toy - finally, you can have warmth sound and bass. But in such cases I cant see that producers really care about music or musical value. Electronic music gave us wide opportunities for creating new sounds, timbres, along with melodic component of composition. Tempest is an instrument, not a toy (though, people can use it like a toy), created in competitive environment. Most of moogs, especially minitaur, are based on the brand and poor synths for nowadays. But for many people it is OK.

musden

Post by musden » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:50 pm

Ashe37 wrote:I know plenty of musicians buying modern Moog stuff. As many, I dare say, as DSI stuff, if not more.
If Moog placed badge on the piece of s**t, people would buy it for sure.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:33 pm

I own a Tempest and have daily access to both a Moog Old School and Taurus III pedals. I'd be hard pressed to call any of them a toy and not an instrument.

I think you're falling into the trap that many fall into in that because an instrument doesn't appeal to your sensibilities, you feel the need to disparage it without giving us any reason to believe you've ever spent time with any of them. To even compare the Tempest with any of the Moog stuff is kind of silly, as the only thing they really have in common is that the Tempest can be used as six mono instruments and all the Moog hardware at this point in time is mono as well. Do I like the Tempest more than the Moog stuff? Yes, very much! But I understand what each is and does and I can't see the point in comparing apples and oranges when I'd rather spend time utilizing both to their fullest extent.

In other words, they may not work for you, but in others' hands, those "pieces of s**t" with no modern accoutrements are very much capable, working instruments.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!