New DSI instrument!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Re: New DSI instrument!

Post by balma » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:18 pm

I haven´t read the thread since I don´t want to spoil the surprise. I really had to make a huge sacrifice to get it....

I just imagine the Tempest like a Prophet 08 with a sequencer incorporated....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:08 am

balma wrote:I haven´t read the thread since I don´t want to spoil the surprise. I really had to make a huge sacrifice to get it....

Except it has more of an Evolver sound engine than a Prophet 08...

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:41 am

balma wrote:I haven´t read the thread since I don´t want to spoil the surprise. I really had to make a huge sacrifice to get it....

well the prophet has a sequencer on it,

the engine's quite different to the prophet really - sub osc, 2 analog AND 2 digital osc per voice, hundreds of samples, fx ribbons with recordable motion, midi delay, filter feedback, 6 voices, only 2 actual lfos (probably a more fully featured mod routings sections)...that's just off the top of my head.

They just released the 1.2 OS a day or two ago, so a lot of bugs have been fixed and new features implemented.

still to come are quite a lot of features too -
playlist, arp, full midi sequencer, solo function, polyphonic sequencing ..probably a bunch more

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:34 am

lazerface wrote:...full midi sequencer...
Have they changed their mind and decided to put one in? I remember Chris categorically stating that it wasn't going to have a sequencer for external midi.

lazerface

Post by lazerface » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:23 am

im about 95% sure I read a post somewhere on the forum about it, yes.
Way way down the priority list of features to implement though.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:30 pm

lazerface wrote:Thought I'd dig this thread up to share some sounds I worked on over the weekend.
Decided to have a crack at kind of emulating the sound of modular synths/sequencers, (with some pads from a JX3P over the top).
I'm pretty dam pleased with the result.

I've had the Tempest for a few months now, and f**k I love this machine. I've still barely scraped the surface of it's potential in terms of mod routings and havent really played with the sampled VS sounds etc..I just havent felt the need to yet!

It does have a few limitations (only 6 voices..gah!) and some frustrations, since it was released with the software unfinished - Chris on the DSI forum releases a beta update of new software with bug fixes and new feature implementation every few weeks though so they're on the case!

Ouch! Listening to this almost makes me forget I've already got too much gear. :D
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

thehighesttree

Post by thehighesttree » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:29 pm

So, uhh...this thing does drums, right? Gotta agree with something I heard expressed before: not enough drum demos! lazerface's Aphelion demo is really funky though and shows off some good classic sound. I just don't know if it can cover all the territory to produce good dance music...

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:37 pm

lazerface wrote:Thought I'd dig this thread up to share some sounds I worked on over the weekend.
Decided to have a crack at kind of emulating the sound of modular synths/sequencers, (with some pads from a JX3P over the top).
I'm pretty dam pleased with the result.

Well done, sir. Is that just one track of the Tempest and one JX3P track?

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:34 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Have they changed their mind and decided to put one in? I remember Chris categorically stating that it wasn't going to have a sequencer for external midi.
It would be a pity to use it for sequencing other gear with such a powerful sound engine.

I swear it, I´m dying to get it in my hands.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:58 am

balma wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
It would be a pity to use it for sequencing other gear with such a powerful sound engine.
Just because you're sequencing other stuff with it doesn't mean you can't use the sound engine at the same time. I'm doing that at the moment with my Octatrack, 8 voices on the Octatrack plus two voices of modular and whatever else I want being sequenced externally.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:00 pm

...but those are tracks that could be manipulating sounds from the internal engine, unless you set the MIDI setup on both (int and ext) for those tracks...

I think I won´t miss the external sequencing feature on the Tempest, since I use three chained Command Stations for sequencing all my gear, except for the ones that have onboard sequencer. For those ones, I just send MIDI clock.
Anyway, that´s my case, maybe other users won´t be happy with this issue on the Tempest MIDI features.

lazerface

Post by lazerface » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:40 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
Well done, sir. Is that just one track of the Tempest and one JX3P track?
thanks dude (and others!)
One track of the Tempest and a couple of JX3P yea..

re: doing drums, they're not really my forte, but I have been experimenting tracks that are almost solely percussive, so i'll post something here when i've got something i'm happy with.
What kind of percussion were y'all hoping to hear?

And yes, I checked on the DSI forum, it IS going to have a fully featured midi sequencer EVENTUALLY.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:19 pm

Just resurrecting this thread because I found this Tempest Recipe site by someone over at the DSI forums:
http://stimresp.wordpress.com/tempest-recipes/

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:56 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:Just resurrecting this thread because I found this Tempest Recipe site by someone over at the DSI forums:

Nice find! I missed this thread over there, thanks.

Ironically I spent 3 hours delving into the Tempest's sound design last night...Uh-Oh fell down the rabbit hole again. Damn, this machine is really a deep piece of kit!

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:21 pm

bhrama wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:Just resurrecting this thread because I found this Tempest Recipe site by someone over at the DSI forums:

Nice find! I missed this thread over there, thanks.

Ironically I spent 3 hours delving into the Tempest's sound design last night...Uh-Oh fell down the rabbit hole again. Damn, this machine is really a deep piece of kit!
Definitely. Glad I found that too because I was just planning to start programming some traditional sounds--both to use and to use as starting points for more experimental sounds. I looking forward to his Clap recipes.