Winter Namm 2011

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Winter Namm 2011

Post by StepLogik » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:11 pm

Although the Tempest seems to be the highlight of the show (at least for this demographic), I thought we might want to run a thread for all the other stuff being introduced today :D

First thought - Roland WTF? Maybe they are saving the best for last? Maybe they really are done with the pro market. All of their new products are GM sound modules/arrangers/backing modules. Roland has been making this same product for 10 years now, and they still omit the single most useful feature: being able to play back an SMF in sync with an audio (WAV, MP3) file.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Winter Namm 2011

Post by D-Collector » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:27 pm

I think we can forget Roland now. The last decade has shown they are really not bothered with the kind of market that we represent. It's a huge shame considering their legacy.

Fairlight is to "debut" tomorrow. I just posted their NAMM flyers for the CMI-30a in the sampler section.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:33 pm

I swear roland is going back in f**k time.... a backing module... seriously... in this day and age.... what the f**k are they on..?
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:43 pm

Here are the culprits, I think that "Vima" is some sort of karaoke machine:

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:46 pm

D-Collector wrote:I think we can forget Roland now. The last decade has shown they are really not bothered with the kind of market that we represent. It's a huge shame considering their legacy.
It is a shame. They really don't market anything unique or inspiring anymore. The Gaia looked cool, but it seem very cheaply constructed to me. It sounded alright, but it definitely wasn't something new and amazing. It's almost like they make things as cheap as they can and charge top dollar for them because of their name; and they never think about anything new or innovating. There are still people out there who will buy anything Roland because they recognize the name and associate it with their great products of the past. At some point, I think their sales philosophy is going to catch up with. At that time, they will either have to change their stategy or go out of business. This is just my opinion though...maybe I'm dead wrong.

Hair

Post by Hair » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:49 pm

Korg Kaoss Pad Quad looks nifty - seems kind of like 4 miniKPs in one rather than the next mutation of the KP3 (since it doesn't have any sampling or MIDI), updated Korg nanoKontrollers too

Moog announced Phatty Tuner alternate scale software (or something) for LP and SP, not useful for everyone but kind of cool

Nord Stage 2 allows users to "create their own samples by mapping sound files in .Wav format with the Nord sample editor."

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:58 pm

Hair wrote:Korg Kaoss Pad Quad looks nifty - seems kind of like 4 miniKPs in one rather than the next mutation of the KP3 (since it doesn't have any sampling or MIDI), updated Korg nanoKontrollers too

Moog announced Phatty Tuner alternate scale software (or something) for LP and SP, not useful for everyone but kind of cool

Nord Stage 2 allows users to "create their own samples by mapping sound files in .Wav format with the Nord sample editor."
The Kaoss Pad Quad does look like fun....I've played around quite extensively on a KP3, and they are quite a bit of fun. They have their limitations, but overall I think they are pretty cool little guys.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:04 pm

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:17 pm

blavatsky wrote:new eventide stompbox reverb
http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/nam ... led-358246
Bye bye tallowwaters' money.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:24 pm

tallowwaters wrote:
Bye bye tallowwaters' money.
:lol:
bonne chance

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:30 pm

looks nice - full MIDI control as well. i've had my eye on the Time Factor for a while now i think i'll be getting both.

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:30 pm

MSRP? seems cool if it's a more prosumer version of their ridiculously expensive rack FX...

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:32 pm

Squier announced the Vintage Modified Series, including this purty Jazzmaster plus a humbuckered Jaguar. No American price yet, but 330 pounds overseas. Don't dig on that bridge so much, but otherwise I'm pretty excited over it.
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/s ... 0302800550
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:45 pm

as if all that silly, useless junk from Roland were not enough, there are no updates to the ARX line nor any software updates for the Fantom G which is in desperate need. With XF and Kronos out now, and Roland's obvious abandonment of the FG line, i suspect FG's will be hitting the used market for dirt cheap.

those of us who bought a Fantom G pretty much got served. awwww yeaaa, sucka!

so long Roland, we hardly knew ye.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:53 pm

StepLogik wrote:Although the Tempest seems to be the highlight of the show
The Tempest will be the highlight of your bank balance, the price for that beatbox is supposed to be $1999. As for the Fantom G that was a flop from Roland. I'll buy their Accordion and make some squeezebox acid. Nah f**k that i can't do that co-ordination s**t between the buttons and the keys!
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |