Tom Oberheim to release new Four Voice SEM in May 2011

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
drawtippy
Band: Draw Tippy

Son Of 4 Voice!

Post by drawtippy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:38 pm

Visit http://www.arttestmusic.com

Voyager, JP-6, Pro-One, 800DV, CZ-101, VL-1, Micron, Solina, OB-Xa, JX-8P, Sid Station, xoxbox

memory cords

Tom Oberheim to release new Four Voice SEM in May 2011

Post by memory cords » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:43 pm

This news seems to be popping up on various sites across the 'net, it appears to be legit.

The following info and images are from Matrixsynth:

SON OF 4 VOICE's SEMs bring back vintage '70s design ... 100% discrete analog ... absolutly no custom chips.

The audio that screams from an SEM is fat, fine and funky, with a tonal variety unlike any other sound-generating device on this rock we call home. Gang up four of these monsters, and you've got sounds that're thicker than thunder.

SO4V can be used as a 4-voice polyphonic synth or as 4 individual synths under MIDI control. Two SO4Vs can be ganged together to create an 8-voice.

The Polyphonic Voice Control and Programmer section retains all the features of the original Four Voice Programmer and Keyboard control modules, while adding gotta-have-'em goodies like these:
• Two MIDI sync capable LFOs with multiple waveshapes including sample and hold per voice
•Two programmable ADSR envelope generators per voice
• Selectable master tuning (both VCOs or VCO2 only) allows easy detuning for huge unison sounds
• Polyphonic portamento with linear or exponential response
• Noise generator connected to filter input #1
• External audio or A440 tuning reference connected to filter input #2
• Updated output module with mix and pan control for each voice
• Two SO4Vs can be easily connected together - result: eight voices!

You can check the full story at Matrixsynth, link below:

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2011/01 ... voice.html

memory cords

Re: Tom Oberheim to release new Four Voice SEM in May 2011

Post by memory cords » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:47 pm

I remember that a while back Tom Oberheim had mentioned that he was going to release a new Two Voice SEM... I wonder if that is still going to happen.

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:50 pm

To mods:

I've just noticed that @drawtippy has already posted this news before me... is there any way for the threads to be merged?

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:10 pm

GAS, anyone?

she's a beauty.

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:18 pm

StepLogik wrote:GAS, anyone?

she's a beauty.
Unfortunately I don't have a spare US$3,495 at the moment! Also it seems huge! I wonder how much it weighs.

If he made a Two Voice version I would definitely buy it. I've been sitting on the fence about buying one of the new patch panel SEMs or the new SEM PRO...

There is a lot of great new analog stuff in active production these days, it's great! The list is getting longer and longer: This new Four Voice SEM, the standard SEM, Moog Voyager, Little Phatty, Vermona Mono Lancet, Studio Electronics Omega and SE-1X and ATC-X, Future Retro XS, Doepfer Dark Energy, Analog Solutions Semblance and Telemark and Leipzig, Dave Smith Mopho and Prophet 8...

Anyway, I hope this new project is successful for Mr Oberheim.
Last edited by memory cords on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

paugui

Post by paugui » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:21 pm

Indeed it looks really nice.
Just a shame there is no keyboard version, as it would take too much space in my studio to come without a keyboard...

It would be great if he makes an 8 voice polyphonic version with a single interface.
Not sure if the OB-X circuitry is the same as the SEM, but something like that would be great:)

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:40 pm

Holy voice tolerances, Batman! I wonder if it will really be encased in tolex/vinyl. All sorts of questions spring to mind, mostly regarding how easy it would be to set up a polyphonic patch similarly on each module. Get two of these and you can be the next Casey Young!
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:42 pm

paugui wrote:Not sure if the OB-X circuitry is the same as the SEM, but something like that would be great:)
I'm pretty sure that the OB-X uses the same components as the SEM. It was the models after that (OB-Xa, OB-8, Matrix 12, Xpander) that used different designs.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:46 pm

I believe there were some IC's used in the OB-X voice architecture, like the envelopes, for instance. Speaking of that, the Son Of 4 Voice description above says 2 ADSR envelopes per voice, so I'm wondering how the SEM's ADS envelopes fit in.
Last edited by Solderman on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:49 pm

Solderman wrote:the Son Of 4 Voice description above says 2 ADSR envelopes per voice, so I'm wondering if that's just a loose interpretation of the SEM's ADS envelopes.
If you click on the second image above you can see that it appears to have full ADSRs.

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Post by Overgear » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:28 pm

The Polyphonic Programmer has ADSRs. That is gonna make it interesting.

It's nice that more flexible lfos were added. Having the S/H and Noise(as in the Mini-Sequencer) will be great - even if there is no lag control for the S/H.

I'm assuming that's 4 banks and not just 4 presets. With a 2-digit display and inc/dec buttons...

I like that he kept the old Tolex look.

Nice...but not a lot of patch points :P .

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:58 pm

memory cords wrote:To mods:

I've just noticed that @drawtippy has already posted this news before me... is there any way for the threads to be merged?
:thumbleft:

On topic: OMG. Between this and Kronos, there goes my 2011 synth money. I'd love it if Tom did a matching controller.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:08 am

memory cords wrote:
StepLogik wrote:GAS, anyone?

she's a beauty.
Unfortunately I don't have a spare US$3,495 at the moment!
I don't either, but this will be mine... oh yes, this will be mine.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:40 am

It's time for me to own an Oberheim.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay