Synths used on...?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
thefonz003
Gear: Yamaha SY77
Korg DSS-1
Yamaha DJX
Novation MiniNova
Electrix Warp Factory
Akai MPK225
Various Softsynths
E-mu Mo'Phatt (wanting to sell)

Synths used on...?

Post by thefonz003 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:28 pm

The synth description pages give lists of artists who have used particular synths, but not generally albums or tracks, or what the synths were used for (e.g., bass, strings, brass, leads, etc.). Does anyone have info on albums, tracks, parts, and/or patches of the following synths?:

Korg:
Wavestation (any)
M1
DSS-1
DW8000
Poly800
DS8

Ensoniq:
Fizmo
ZR76
SQ80
ESQ1
Casio:
FZ1
CZ-anything

Roland:
R8
JX3P
JD800
JW50

Logan/Hohner String Melody
Elektron SIDStation
Moog Source
Kawai K5000

Yamaha:
SY77
CS80
DX1
DX5
EX5/EX7

Kurzweil:
K-anything

Thanks!

thefonz003
Gear: Yamaha SY77
Korg DSS-1
Yamaha DJX
Novation MiniNova
Electrix Warp Factory
Akai MPK225
Various Softsynths
E-mu Mo'Phatt (wanting to sell)

Re: Synths used on...?

Post by thefonz003 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:29 pm

Also, DSE Poly Evolver and Alesis Andromeda A6.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:45 pm

Korg M1 - can't think of any specific examples, but a lot of dance music in the late 80s/early 90s used the M1 piano. Patch #00 "Universe" was heard in tons of TV ads of the same time.

Wavestation: Check out Howard Jones' Working in the Backroom & Noden Ictus' Spacelines

Roland R8 - please see http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=60286

JD800 - William Orbit's Strage Cargo III, Tangerine Dream's Rockoon, Emerson, Lake & Palmer's Black Moon, HoJo's Working in Backroom, Ozric Tentacles' Jurassic Shift & Live, Underslunky

Moog Source - from what I understand, the bass in Thomas Dolby's "Blinded Me With Science"

Casio CZ-101/1000 Salt & Pepper's "Push It": pretty much every synth sound on this song is CZ

CS80 - Vangelis' "signature" synth

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:15 pm

As far as the Korg M-1 is concerned, I found the following info:

Earsure - wild - How Many Times /fretless bass-guitar-bottle bell
Piano Song / ubiquitous piano sound

The Grid - A Beat Called Love / finger snap-Pan Wave

Pet Shop Boys ( rack mounted version the M1r) -Performance tour of 1990 & Very - I Wouldn?t Normally Do This Kind Of Thing / finger snap
A Different Point Of View / choir- The Theatre also features one of the many choir related presets to be found in the M1
Where The Streets Have No Name / choir sounds again-
Discoteca /(acoustic guitar)

Andy McCluskey of OMD - Sugar Tax /the definitive sound of the M1
Just about every single song has the choir on it, Koto Trem makes an appearance on Walking On Air / Symphonic strings are played through out All That Glitters
and Was It Something I Said Liberator also has a fair amount of Korg M1on it too

But the M1 isn't limited to pop music. The Orb used the fabulous Universe preset on Back Side Of The Moon on the Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld album

The big hit of 1995 ?Children by Robert Miles features the M1 piano and uses the Organ2 sound on the intro.? This fantastic organ sound was also used to great effect on the singles Luv 4 Luv and Show Me Love by Robin S in 1993.

The Brothers In Rhythm use the Korg M1 piano and strings on their house tune Peace and Harmony. The list goes on and on and on??

Depeche Mode (rack mounted version M1r) - Ultra (1997)

Queen:
Bijou (strings)
I Can't Live With You (drums)
Slightly Mad (pads)
Don't Try So Hard (preset 1 - string part)
Used for almost all the songs in 'The Miracle' and 'Innuendo'.

'Innuendo'.
Keyboards in the main section and during the heavy solo consist of three string sections, all arranged and played by Freddie. There's also a synth-organ doing the first G# chord of the song. During the orchestral section Freddie played a main string part (I guess it was the first thing he laid down in that section), added a double-bass part (note he was very keen in his bass-arrangements, check the orchestra of Was It All Worth It), and some synth-bells. David Richards played an additional string part, echoing the melody, doing some overdubs and then harmonising the vocal in parallel fifths and thirds. Both of them used the Korg M1 for everything.
hitman school (orchestral part especially on the bridge)
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

colmon

Post by colmon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:48 am

korg M1

robin s - show me love

patch #17 -- organ2

bigman2005

Post by bigman2005 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:40 pm

Korg M1 organ

Crystal Waters- Gypsy Woman (She's Homeless)

Korg M1 slap bass

Seinfeld Theme

Billy Joel-No Man's Land

Yamaha TX816

Billy Joel-We Didn't Start The Fire (Opening Sounds and Organ)

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:15 pm

colmon wrote:korg M1

robin s - show me love

patch #17 -- organ2
mmmm M1 organ bass is the best :D

The pianos, strings and organs from the M1 have been used on countless house and club records.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 am

StepLogik wrote:
colmon wrote:korg M1

robin s - show me love

patch #17 -- organ2
mmmm M1 organ bass is the best :D

The pianos, strings and organs from the M1 have been used on countless house and club records.
Funny thing is that famous M1 Organ sounds almost exactly like a DX7 organ through effects (I s**t you not). I think I read somewhere that Korg took samples of various sources, some of which included FM sounds from the DX7, to get their base samples. Perhaps It was a dream (nightmare). Certainly I've heard very similar Robyn S organs on various synths I've owned and they and the M1 versions and the M1 slap bass are very FM-esque.

JX-3P = Axel F 'choppy chords part 'F,Eb,Bb'

Le Danielé

Post by Le Danielé » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:16 am

thefonz003 wrote:The synth description pages give lists of artists who have used particular synths, but not generally albums or tracks, or what the synths were used for (e.g., bass, strings, brass, leads, etc.). Does anyone have info on albums, tracks, parts, and/or patches of the following synths?:

Korg:
Wavestation (any)
M1 Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence (Choirs) (not 100% sure but I could almost swear i read it somewhere)
DSS-1
DW8000
Poly800
DS8

Ensoniq:
Fizmo
ZR76
SQ80
ESQ1
Casio:
FZ1
CZ-anything CZ-101 Hot Chip - One Life Stand (Bass) They use it quite a bit in a lot of tracks

Roland:
R8 Dirty Vegas - Days go by (it's supposed to be the only drum machine used on that record, obviously using the electro and dance cards)
JX3P MSTRKRFT - Work on you (bass), MSTRKRFT - Street Justice (bass) The aggressive bass patch it's actually a factory preset

JD800
JW50

Logan/Hohner String Melody
Elektron SIDStation
Moog Source A lot of Air tracks (they still tour with two of them) - Sexy Boy (bass), Kelly watch the stars (bass)
Kawai K5000

Yamaha:
SY77
CS80 Vangelis - Bladerunner soundtrack (lead)
DX1
DX5
EX5/EX7

Kurzweil:
K-anything

Thanks!

Le Danielé

Post by Le Danielé » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:21 am

thefonz003 wrote:Also, DSE Poly Evolver and Alesis Andromeda A6.
The Poly Evolver is the only synth used by Cut Copy, all their synth sounds come from the PEK. Listen to "Feel the Love", "Out there on Ice", "Lights and Music" or "Hearts on Fire".

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:25 am

Le Danielé wrote:
The Poly Evolver is the only synth used by Cut Copy, all their synth sounds come from the PEK. Listen to "Feel the Love", "Out there on Ice", "Lights and Music" or "Hearts on Fire".
That's incorrect, they have quite a few synths. The PEK is the only one they use live though.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:38 am

Z wrote:Moog Source - from what I understand, the bass in Thomas Dolby's "Blinded Me With Science"
That is a Micromoog.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:39 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Le Danielé wrote:
That's incorrect, they have quite a few synths. The PEK is the only one they use live though.
They also use the Microkorg live and in studio.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:14 pm

iProg wrote:
Z wrote:Moog Source - from what I understand, the bass in Thomas Dolby's "Blinded Me With Science"
That is a Micromoog.

Nope, Mathew Seligman (Dolby's bass layer) did use a Moog Source for the basslines on Science and Submarines. The Micromoog is featured on most (all?) of the other songs though.

In Science the Source was additionally used for the tinkling bell sounds at the beginning, the piccolo trumpet line and the descending "phone" part after the chorus.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:18 pm

New Order are supposed to have used the Source as the bassline on Blue Monday, but I don't know how true that is.

I do believe they used the Yamaha DX-5 for a lot of basslines though - Technique sounds like it has plenty of FM going on, for example.