Synths used on...?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Synths used on...?

Post by Z » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:18 pm

visceralvoids wrote:I for one would love to know who used the Roland R-8 that was mentioned in the OP's list. Can't confirm if this was Dead Can Dance's drum machine that they used in the 80s.
DCD used the R-8 on "Spirit" (I love that song) and "Bird" with heavy use of SN-R8-06 Ethnic Percussion PCM card. "The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove" sounds like R-8.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:49 pm

I haven't read the other posts so I apologise if the following have already been mentioned:

Wavestation: Runrig tracks from 1993, Genesis (We can't dance + tour), Sting ("Brand New Day"), all over Mike & the Mechanics "Beggar on a beach of gold" album
M1: Queen ("I'm going slightly mad" on "Innuendo"), Runrig from 1991 (especially "Searchlight" and "The Big Wheel" albums), Cutting Crew ("The Scattering" album), Johnny Clegg & Savuka (all over the "One (Hu)Man, One Vote" album), not 100% certain about this one: Bon Jovi ("Keep The Faith" album - M1 strings on "Dry County"?), 1990s incarnation of OMD ("Sugar Tax" album), Billy Joel ("River of Dreams").

Roland:
JX3P: Johnny Clegg & Savuka ("Third World Child" album - was all DX7, Prophet 600, Poly 61 and JX3P)
JD800: Genesis ("We Can't Dance" + tour, intro to "I can't dance")

Yamaha:
CS80: Vangelis (!), Ultravox ("Quartet"/"Lament"), Toto IV ("Africa"), ELO from "Discovery" to "Time", I think.

Kurzweil: lots used on Pink Floyd's 1994/1995 "Pulse" tour
Last edited by gcoudert on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
GC

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:51 pm

Pro5 wrote:
Le Danielé wrote: Korg:

M1 Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence (Choirs) (not 100% sure but I could almost swear i read it somewhere)
!
Emulator II wasn't it?
Emax, I believe. It sounds so much like the "Pop Choir" ("Pop Voices" or whatever) Emax sample with modified attack, it's unbelievable.
GC

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:01 pm

I believe they used the Emaxes live only, and the EIII in the studio.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Barely

Post by Barely » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:49 pm

gcoudert wrote:
Pro5 wrote:
Le Danielé wrote: Korg:

M1 Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence (Choirs) (not 100% sure but I could almost swear i read it somewhere)
!
Emulator II wasn't it?
Emax, I believe. It sounds so much like the "Pop Choir" ("Pop Voices" or whatever) Emax sample with modified attack, it's unbelievable.
http://www.recoil.co.uk/qa_vault/dm_violator.html

"I just wanted to know if the choir pad in 'Enjoy The Silence' is the Emax preset sound "pop voices"?"
(Alan Wilder says:)
No.

:D

That doesn't answer the question if it's done by an EMAX or not - I'd guess they sampled and processed it themselves... I use an Emax sample (in the V-Synth) for Enjoy the Silence live, and it's close enough for me :)

philip

Post by philip » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:05 pm

Micke wrote:
Queen:
Bijou (strings)
I Can't Live With You (drums)
Slightly Mad (pads)
Don't Try So Hard (preset 1 - string part)
Used for almost all the songs in 'The Miracle' and 'Innuendo'.

'Innuendo'.
Keyboards in the main section and during the heavy solo consist of three string sections, all arranged and played by Freddie. There's also a synth-organ doing the first G# chord of the song. During the orchestral section Freddie played a main string part (I guess it was the first thing he laid down in that section), added a double-bass part (note he was very keen in his bass-arrangements, check the orchestra of Was It All Worth It), and some synth-bells. David Richards played an additional string part, echoing the melody, doing some overdubs and then harmonising the vocal in parallel fifths and thirds. Both of them used the Korg M1 for everything.
hitman school (orchestral part especially on the bridge)

Well, I have to say this is unbelievable,M1 for 100$ playing all those fantastic keyboard parts,which I always thought been played whith real orchestra. Trully,their sound-engeneer was a genious.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:36 am

Yes those keyboard parts sound quite impressive. I believe David Richards arranged the "orchestral" parts
on Innuendo and he was obviously very good at it.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:34 pm

The bass line on "Enjoy the Silence" was done with Roland System 700, I recently learned.

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:56 am

nathanscribe wrote:New Order are supposed to have used the Source as the bassline on Blue Monday, but I don't know how true that is.
According to an interview they did in 1985 (E&MM, March 1985) the Source kept breaking down, and they used their Prophet 5, sequenced, for the `quieter' bassline on Blue Monday. The Sequential Polysequencer/Prophet set-up caused problems as well, though. I haven't heard Blue Monday for a long time, so if there are two basslines then I'd guess one is the Source and the quieter one the Prophet. I believe there's a Roland (SH 101?) monosynth on there as well, as I once had a conversation with the guy who now owns it.

RE other synths mentioned, I'd add that the Casio FZ-1 was used by Steve Reich on Different Trains. He'd been using other Casio keyboards and they gave him their then new FZ-1. (I think the Casio he used before was a 202. There were four of them on the Sextet. I looked at that setup at the time during the interval of a concert. Someone is going to hate me for this, but I stood maybe two feet from those keyboards and it's so long ago I can't positively confirm they were 202s. I do remember Reich saying he liked them because they were simple and reliable, though. His full statement went something like "We could use DX7s, but the Casios are so simple that you just set them up and they're ready. If you have technical problems it's bad because it can be out of the musicians' control and the atmosphere changes because of that.)

CS80: as well as Vangelis, I believe Eno's Before and After Science has CS80 all over it. I don't know that album and I'm getting this from various CS80 user groups. There seems to be no controversy about the fact, though.
Free the Jupiter 8!

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:58 pm

Yeah, CS80 is listed in the credits.

Eddie Jobson was a big CS80 user, and supposedly had the first one in England.

There's live footage of Tim Cross playing one with Mike Oldfield circa 1980, and a lot of the synth on Oldfield's QE2 was most likely CS80, as album producer David Hentschel seems to have been a fan. There's actually a credit for "CS80 steel drums" on "Wonderful Land."
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by gcoudert » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:00 pm

Barely wrote:That doesn't answer the question if it's done by an EMAX or not - I'd guess they sampled and processed it themselves... I use an Emax sample (in the V-Synth) for Enjoy the Silence live, and it's close enough for me :)
At the risk of re-opening an old debate, I was playing around with my EIIIX E-mu Classics CD the other day and, having transferred the Proteus 1 choir samples to my Roland Fantom, noticed that the resulting multisample sounds very much like the Enjoy The Silence choir when doubled with itself an octave lower. I wonder if DM sampled a Proteus into their Emax or, the Proteus samples being from the EIII library, if they actually had the same samples and used an EIII.
GC

desmond

Post by desmond » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:43 pm

Bruce Hornsby is known for a lot of M1 use, mostly of one patch "Overture" as the signature synth pad sound in a lot of his stuff. It's also the main pad used on Bruce Springsteen's "Philadelphia".

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:00 pm

nathanscribe wrote:
New Order are supposed to have used the Source as the bassline on Blue Monday, but I don't know how true that is.

According to an interview they did in 1985 (E&MM, March 1985) the Source kept breaking down, and they used their Prophet 5, sequenced, for the `quieter' bassline on Blue Monday. The Sequential Polysequencer/Prophet set-up caused problems as well, though. I haven't heard Blue Monday for a long time, so if there are two basslines then I'd guess one is the Source and the quieter one the Prophet. I believe there's a Roland (SH 101?) monosynth on there as well, as I once had a conversation with the guy who now owns it.
They definitely did use the Source for Blue Monday bass line. I saw a short film on Swedish TV last year in which Bernard explains how he used it and even shows him messing about with it! :)

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:56 pm

tim gueguen wrote: [...] There's live footage of Tim Cross playing one with Mike Oldfield circa 1980, and a lot of the synth on Oldfield's QE2 was most likely CS80, as album producer David Hentschel seems to have been a fan. There's actually a credit for "CS80 steel drums" on "Wonderful Land."
Are you sure it's Tim Cross playing live with Oldfield (I suppose you're referring to the "Live at Knebworth 1980" footage)? I would have thought the guy with CS80 and CP30 was Pete Lemer whereas Tim Cross was visible in the "Wonderful Land" video, with that helicopter spinning above a field, with Tim Cross playing two CS80s (I think... I was seven or eight years old when I saw that clip in 1980/81).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

thefonz003
Gear: Yamaha SY77
Korg DSS-1
Yamaha DJX
Novation MiniNova
Electrix Warp Factory
Akai MPK225
Various Softsynths
E-mu Mo'Phatt (wanting to sell)

Post by thefonz003 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:47 pm

Le Danielé wrote:
thefonz003 wrote:The synth description pages give lists of artists who have used particular synths, but not generally albums or tracks, or what the synths were used for (e.g., bass, strings, brass, leads, etc.). Does anyone have info on albums, tracks, parts, and/or patches of the following synths?:

Korg:
Wavestation (any)
DSS-1
DW8000
Poly800
DS8

Ensoniq:
Fizmo
ZR76
SQ80
ESQ1
Casio:
FZ1
CZ-anything CZ-101 Hot Chip - One Life Stand (Bass) They use it quite a bit in a lot of tracks

Roland:
R8 Dirty Vegas - Days go by (it's supposed to be the only drum machine used on that record, obviously using the electro and dance cards)
JX3P MSTRKRFT - Work on you (bass), MSTRKRFT - Street Justice (bass) The aggressive bass patch it's actually a factory preset

JD800
JW50

Logan/Hohner String Melody
Elektron SIDStation
Moog Source A lot of Air tracks (they still tour with two of them) - Sexy Boy (bass), Kelly watch the stars (bass)
Kawai K5000

Yamaha:
SY77
CS80 Vangelis - Bladerunner soundtrack (lead)
DX1
DX5
EX5/EX7

Kurzweil:
K-anything

Thanks!
Reviving an old topic, I read part of an interview with Air where they talked about using several synths new to them on one of their more recent albums, and the Source was one they mentioned - thus the basslines on those Moon Safari tracks must've been Minimoog.