Interesting interview with Harold Faltermeyer

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Interesting interview with Harold Faltermeyer

Post by D-Collector » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:22 pm

I don't think this has been posted here before. A long and interesting interview with Harold on how he got into the business and many fun stories about the production of his famous scores. Check it out!

There are rumors that he is working with some label on getting his old scores released in their full, like BHC and Fletch. :shock:

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Interesting interview with Harold Faltermeyer

Post by Micke » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:07 pm

Yeah, I heard that interview before, quite interesting. I noticed that he mentions he got his Roland system 700
back for the Thief Of Hearts OST (1984). I recently contacted Harold about it and it turned out he did use
the big Roland throughout the score, along with the Jup-8, DX-7, JX-3P and Linndrum.

Let's hope the rumours that he's working on getting his old scores released in their full are true, I love Faltermeyer's
'80s scores :thumbsup:
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:20 am

Micke wrote:Yeah, I heard that interview before, quite interesting. I noticed that he mentions he got his Roland system 700
back for the Thief Of Hearts OST (1984). I recently contacted Harold about it and it turned out he did use
the big Roland throughout the score, along with the Jup-8, DX-7, JX-3P and Linndrum.

Let's hope the rumours that he's working on getting his old scores released in their full are true, I love Faltermeyer's
'80s scores :thumbsup:
The Top Gun soundtrack is easily among my top 5 favorite OSTs..

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:13 pm

Gonna stick my neck out here, as much as I like a lot of his stuff and esp his use of the 3P, am I the only one who thinks the Fletch soundtrack, while perhaps ok in itself, doesn't fit the "fun" tone of the movie one bit? It also dates that movie like nothing else. Sounds like it should be on a BBC documentary about "micro-computers" not a Chevy Chase comedy.

Thumbs up to B-H-Cop soundtrack though :)

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:09 am

The Fletch theme is pretty darn cool though.

"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:52 am

Micke wrote:The Fletch theme is pretty darn cool though.

Not disputing that it's a decent piece of music, just that in my opinion it gives the movie the wrong tone. I love most of Chevy's comedies and feel the soundtrack in this actually worked against it. On it's own the music is fine (if it's the style you like).

To put it another way, imo, it's not so much Faltermeyer's fault as it is the production member who OK'd this music to go with this film. Axel-F suffers a little from it too, and I really love that music, but it does sit fine with BHC (the only problem during that movie is it strikes up a little too often and hits you over the head with it's theme). Axel-F has that playful/fun/catchy side to it that fits ok with BHC, but the fletch theme was a little too dark and serious sounding imo for this movie which I think would have been a better overall product with a different score. :)

Obviously, I can only talk about my opinion :)