Your favourite synth anthem of all time!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Your favourite synth anthem of all time!

Post by D-Collector » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:48 am

I think now that I have gotten the concept of anthem all wrong.. :lol: Should have written "synth fanfare". But it doesn't matter. Good music is good music!

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:44 pm

Pro5 wrote:from the above:

Dr Who theme (the Late 70s/early 80s version)
And I'm not too keen on that Orbital clip, doesn't seem to be as grand as it could have been and nothing against Orbital but that new Dr Who actor comes over as a bit of an arrogant Nob. :roll:
Don't all new Doctor Who actors come across as arrogant Nobs?

:lol:
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Umbe78
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: NE3 73, MD & MM SFX6, MEK, JP4 & JX3P, Yamaha FGX, Gibson SG, Live 8.2 Suite, Komplete 7, Launchpad, Touchable
Band: The Punker

Post by Umbe78 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:59 pm

I would add
just one of us

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:57 pm

The Tornadoes' version of Telstar. Sorta kinda.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:41 am

meatballfulton wrote:
Synthesist (and vocalist) is Bayete

Truly bizarre mix of prog, fusion and Jimi Hendrix from 1976
Thank you very much for this post. I was only familiar with Cochran from his work with Bobby Hutcherson and never knew much more about him. That blog is awesome! I'm going to dig deeper...

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:15 pm

Micke wrote:
iProg wrote:Easily, the cue "Orange Light" from Apocalypse Now

That track was recorded by Bernie Krause using the big Moog at Zoetrope studios*. Nyle Steiner
later overdubbed some parts with his EVI.

* According to Nyle there was definitely a string machine at Bernie's sessions and he was pretty sure
he used it in combination with the Moog to make the string sounds. He couldn't remember for sure the make but
it may have been an Omni or Solina.
I thought the modular used in the sessions was the E-mu Modular?
The string sounds are fantastic!

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:29 pm

Only the cues that Pat Gleeson plays on feature the E-mu modular (eg "Do Lung Bridge", "Letters from Home" and "Voyage" I think).

The other synthesists used different setups:

Nyle Steiner: EVI (used on its own for oboe, clarinet and bassoon sounds, and hooked up with the Synthasystem
for bass, brass and string sounds etc), multiple-resonance string filter custom built by Bob Moog.

Shirley Walker: Double-Synthacon with custom breath interface and vibrato bar built by Nyle Steiner.

Don Preston: custom Moog modular IIIC (previously owned by Gleeson), Minimoog and (possibly) Oberheim 8-voice (Preston
doesn't remember if the Obie made it onto the score).

Bernie Krause: two modular Moogs (a custom IIIC and a system 55 owned by Zoetrope studios), Moog 12 plus
unknown string-machine (either Omni or Solina).

Nyle Steiner played on most of the cues.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:08 pm

Micke wrote:Only the cues that Pat Gleeson plays on feature the E-mu modular (eg "Do Lung Bridge", "Letters from Home" and "Voyage" I think).

Nyle Steiner: EVI (used on its own for oboe, clarinet and bassoon sounds, and hooked up with the Synthasystem
for bass, brass and string sounds etc), multiple-resonance string filter custom built by Bob Moog.

Shirley Walker: Double-Synthacon with custom breath interface and vibrato bar built by Nyle Steiner.

Don Preston: custom Moog modular IIIC (previously owned by Gleeson), Minimoog and (possibly) Oberheim 8-voice (Preston

Bernie Krause: two modular Moogs (a custom IIIC and a system 55 owned by Zoetrope studios), Moog 12 plus

Wonderful! :)

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:03 pm

D-Collector wrote:So what is your absolute favourite synth anthem? Mine is Bill Conti's "Mach I" from "The Right Stuff". One of the best movies and scores of all time imo. I just love that synth.. Enjoy!

Very nice, a true synth-anthem!

In case you didn't know, synth wizard Michael Boddicker played the synths on that score, and he had a ton of synths at the time.
Last edited by Micke on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:04 pm

iProg wrote:
Micke wrote:Only the cues that Pat Gleeson plays on feature the E-mu modular (eg "Do Lung Bridge", "Letters from Home" and "Voyage" I think).

Wonderful! :)
Yes indeed :)

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:12 pm

I'd like to call this one here a synth-anthem too, and a very powerful one at that!

Very impressive arrangement and killer synth-work from Kristian Schultze (who also played the synths on the various versions
of "Tony's Theme" from the SCARFACE OST).

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:45 pm

Micke wrote:
D-Collector wrote:So what is your absolute favourite synth anthem? Mine is Bill Conti's "Mach I" from "The Right Stuff". One of the best movies and scores of all time imo. I just love that synth.. Enjoy!

Very nice, a true synth-anthem!

In case you didn't know, synth wizard Michael Boddicker played the synths on that score, and he had a ton of synths at the time.
I did not know that! Do you think he had any input composition-wise?

That Demis Roussos track you just posted is powerful. Man, I love synth music... :D

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:42 pm

I don't know for sure but I don't think he had any input composition-wise. He did however compose and perform a couple of synth
pieces for the sci-fi/action movie Outland (1981). The director of the movie wasn't satisfied with the stuff Jerry Goldsmith came up with for some of the scenes so he approached Boddicker who provided a couple of cues. These tracks, as well as Goldsmith's rejected versions, are included on the expanded release of the soundtrack album.
I believe Goldsmith's mian synth-programmer/player for Outland was Craig Huxley (aka Hundley) and I found it interesting to compare his synth work to that of Boddicker.

Protectress
Gear: Crumar Bit 99
Korg MS2000B
Roland XP80
Roland Fantom-XR
Band: Lasers From Atlantis

Post by Protectress » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:53 pm

Micke wrote:Now that is a true synth anthem I think.

Here are a few more....

Probably the first synth track I ever heard as a child.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:49 pm

Micke wrote:I don't know for sure but I don't think he had any input composition-wise. He did however compose and perform a couple of synth
pieces for the sci-fi/action movie Outland (1981). The director of the movie wasn't satisfied with the stuff Jerry Goldsmith came up with for some of the scenes so he approached Boddicker who provided a couple of cues. These tracks, as well as Goldsmith's rejected versions, are included on the expanded release of the soundtrack album.
I believe Goldsmith's mian synth-programmer/player for Outland was Craig Huxley (aka Hundley) and I found it interesting to compare his synth work to that of Boddicker.
Interesting, I will have to check it out. Other than having head the name a lot of times, I don't know much about Boddicker or his work. But I go with every clue that might lead me to more good music!

Back to Conti, did he use session guys for all his scores? Did he play himself? Or did he only use instruments for scetch and composition and let the synth guys find the sounds and record the score?

Here is a nice pic by the way:

Sorry for swaying off topic a bit.