Chip Tunes Drums?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
nylon
Gear: cheap stuff.
Band: Sleuth

Chip Tunes Drums?

Post by nylon » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:43 pm

So I don't really know anything about chip tunes, except that my favourite part is the drums. I'm just wondering how a person gets these drum sounds to use? I know I like the ones from Famicoms, however, I don't even really know where these sounds even are in the systems, if that makes sense. Anyway, can someone educate me on these digital wonders?
Cheers.
oscillate wildly.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Chip Tunes Drums?

Post by kuroichi » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:22 pm

nylon wrote:So I don't really know anything about chip tunes, except that my favourite part is the drums. I'm just wondering how a person gets these drum sounds to use? I know I like the ones from Famicoms, however, I don't even really know where these sounds even are in the systems, if that makes sense. Anyway, can someone educate me on these digital wonders?
Cheers.
There is generally two ways, you either program a synth chip to produce a percussive sound, or you use a chip that allows sample playback.

Older systems like the Famicom/NES, Mega Drive etc are a mixture or either chip type, some allow drum samples to be played back at a low bit depth and frequency, which is what produces the harsh digital artifacts of the sound.

To emulate the sound, you could just lower the bit depth and frequency of a sample using your computer and some recording software.

or for the real deal you could buy something like MidiNES.

http://www.wayfar.net/0xf00000_overview.php

which allows MIDI control of the NES synth chip, and contains 256 drum machine and break samples.

LIKE THIS!

Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Or just get some gameboy/NES Sample packs, really no need to complicate things.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:42 pm

tekkentool wrote:Or just get some gameboy/NES Sample packs, really no need to complicate things.

:lol:

yeah... what he said.

polardark

Post by polardark » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:59 pm

There are some player programs and player plugins for old sound hardware that can be useful for dumping drum sounds that i've used in the past. I don't think there's a single simple solution - but ripping sounds from sources is always a bit messy.

WinAmp has a bunch of input plugins for playing back different file formats. NSFplug, for instance lets you select which sound channels to play. Turn off all the channels that don't have drums in them - and there you go. WinAmp can be set to output all sound to a WAV file.

I just love NES tom tom sounds :D

kaeth

Post by kaeth » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:42 pm

I thought I should mention: DO NOT BUY MIDINES FROM WAYFAR!

The site hasn't been updated in years, but the store still functions. He will take your money, and send you nothing, like he's done with dozens of others (myself included). He occasionally sells them on eBay for ridiculously inflated prices, which will give you buyer protection, but empty your pockets.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:10 am

kaeth wrote:I thought I should mention: DO NOT BUY MIDINES FROM WAYFAR!

The site hasn't been updated in years, but the store still functions. He will take your money, and send you nothing, like he's done with dozens of others (myself included). He occasionally sells them on eBay for ridiculously inflated prices, which will give you buyer protection, but empty your pockets.
Wow.. Wasn't aware of that... I nearly bought one myself a while back

nylon

Post by nylon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:24 am

Hmmm I think I'm leaning more to a hardware route. I was looking around online for a few hours last night to get more information and it's kind of scarce or incomprehensible. (I don't think I'm nerdy enough to quite get it.) So the idea, I'm gathering is that I can use other people's samples (which is sort of my last choice to be honest), an emulator (but I'm trying to get away from software somewhat) or MidiNES which apparently is a scam on that guy's site. Seems a bit tricky. Here's the stupidest question: is there a step by step instruction on how to turn on a console and "make" these sounds? Do they make MidiNES type things for other consoles? I have an SNES and a Turbo Grafx 16 as well.
Thanks again guys.
oscillate wildly.

kaeth

Post by kaeth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:17 am

You can still get MIDINES' used on eBay, forums, etc. Just don't buy them from that website.

I'm not aware of any similar cartridges for SNES or Turbografix, but they exist for other consoles. Outdated consoles are often cheaper than the cartridges. Here's the one's I'm aware of:

Gameboy - LSDJ, Nanoloop, PixelH8, Gameboy Camera
Atari 2600 - Synthcart
Commodore 64 - Cynthcart, MSSIAH (formerly Prophet64)
NES - ElectroKraft Super Synth Drums
Colecovision - CV Drum

I know little-scale has been working on Sega Master System and Genesis cartridges for a while, but hasn't released any for sale yet. I believe they both use rudimentary FM (as did many of the old arcades: Mortal Kombat!!!), so those should prove interesting if they're ever released. He has chromatic samples posted freely on his website somewhere.

colmon

Post by colmon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:26 am

http://www.tweakbench.com/toad

check out peach and triforce while you're there. freeware

you could get an old programmable yamaha 2-op fm synth if you want old school sega sounds

TheKeytarist

Post by TheKeytarist » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:11 am

There is a company that has a free plug-in called the "magical8BitPlug" I heard about it on the owl city blog(don't hate me), it sounds awesome. Here's the link to their site(BTW, once you get their follow the link to the English site).

http://www.ymck.net/magical8bitplug/index.html
"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one."
— Benjamin Franklin

:keys1: :drums: :keys2:

nylon

Post by nylon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:55 am

TheKeytarist- I tried downloading the program and it doesn't seem to be installing.
colmon- I run a Mac, and they don't appear to have a non-Windows version which is too bad as it sounds pretty cool.
kaeth- Thanks for the heads up. It appears as though most of these are pretty hard to find due to being discontinued mostly. How is nanoloop in terms of user-friendliness? I have a Gameboy Advance and a Gameboy Pocket (although I don't know where it is....) The layout looks a bit confusing. LSDJ looked more interesting due to the fact you can manipulate the wave shapes, but it's discontinued and I can't seem to find much in regards to what nanoloop does besides having a sequencer in it. ElectroKraft appears to have been eliminated from the internet heh, every article on it from 2008 with a YouTube video that has been removed. Their website is gone too. The old Sega FM sounds were amazing, but I don't own a Sega. I guess nanoloop is my option at the moment but I'm hesitant as I don't know very much about it.
oscillate wildly.

kaeth

Post by kaeth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:07 am

I used LSDJ to sample a few different sounds to my E-Mu ESI-2000, and haven't touched it since. From my brief experiences with both, Nanoloop is more graphical and user-friendly, and seems to be geared more towards live performance and tweakability. LSDJ is a little more tedious to program, being a tracker style sequencer, but if you have the patience to learn, it seems a little more feature laden.

I'd have to recommend you support the creators when you can and purchase the cartridges if they're available. Both are reasonably priced if I remember correctly. However, if you felt so inclined, the ROMs are not very difficult to find. LSDJ can be loaded onto any gameboy flash cartridge, Nanoloop requires a special cartridge, so a pirated copy can't be used on a gameboy, but it works fine in an emulator. Download 'em to try them out, and pay for them later if you like them.

Hair

Post by Hair » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:05 pm

TheKeytarist wrote:There is a company that has a free plug-in called the "magical8BitPlug"
Fyi, YMCK isn't a company, but a sick Japanese chiptune act, probably the biggest one in Japan actually. Really good stuff (and I'm not really a chiptune head)

For creating your own drums, try a bit reduction plugin on drums and see how close it gets you, maybe Toneboosters Timemachine (I believe it's available for free on their site: http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-timemachine/ )

I say this because I feel like a lot of the old games used PCM samples for their drums, and those that generated their own were very basic - for example, most NES "drums" you hear are just "pitched" S&H noise. There's a good write-up here, and if you have Reason you can try it out: http://www.re-wiki.com/refill/nes-setup/

There's nothing wrong with just taking whatever drum samples you have and crushing them to make it sound like it's coming from a Genesis or whatever, in fact it might be what you're looking for.

nylon

Post by nylon » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:11 am

All good points, Hair. I guess I was just really stuck on Famicom sounds because there's a band called The Depreciation Guild who use them extensively with more conventional instruments and I love the way they work with guitars and and synths without becoming "chip tunes". They're very much dreampop with chip elements. I met one of the guys briefly and he said that he uses Famicom drums and sequences them in Ableton Live (which I don't have, but it's the sounds I'm more looking for at the moment). I don't know, perhaps I'd be better off with a super lo fi digital drum machine around 8-12 bits and tweaking it. I am trying to get away from using too much software as I feel I just don't get as much done that I like and rely too heavily on the visual element of "seeing the waves" rather than hearing. I researched a bunch of bitcrushing effects and they all seem to distort in the same way and they don't sound authentically "video game" to me, but rather, more like an alternative form of distortion.

So I am willing to expand my search to very lo fi digital drum machines with decent sequencers.
oscillate wildly.