novation k station

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
breckjay
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: To many cables...

novation k station

Post by breckjay » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:03 pm

i just bought a k station for $150 on ebay. just wanted to know if its has any drum patches? and if so are they good ?
Mopho Key's, Roland sh-32, Korg R3, M Audio Venom, Korg EMX 1, Korg ER 1, and lots of hours in the hole.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: novation k station

Post by Alex E » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:08 pm

No. It's purely a subtractive VA synthesizer.

Good deal though.
soundcloud.com/vectron

breckjay
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: To many cables...

Post by breckjay » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:20 pm

Alex E wrote:No. It's purely a subtractive VA synthesizer.

Good deal though.
is it? what is the normal price for it?
Mopho Key's, Roland sh-32, Korg R3, M Audio Venom, Korg EMX 1, Korg ER 1, and lots of hours in the hole.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:23 pm

Probably about $250-$300.
soundcloud.com/vectron

TheKeytarist

Post by TheKeytarist » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:27 pm

You got a K-station for $150? That is a fresh to death deal!

As for drum patches, you can synthesize drum sounds. But, unless you multitrack it, the K-station won't play drum patterns.
"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one."
— Benjamin Franklin

:keys1: :drums: :keys2:

Dano

Post by Dano » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:41 pm

After you have a chance to get familiar with your K-station, I'd be interested in knowing how you like it compared to your Venom.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Alex E » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:58 am

Well I had an A-station for a while, and it's the rack version of the K station. They're very different but both are great for aggressive modern electronica sounds. Though the A station was kinda metallic and harsh to me, while the Venom is still harsh but not metallic at all. I liked the filters in the Novation more though.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Dano

Post by Dano » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:32 am

Alex E wrote:Well I had an A-station for a while, and it's the rack version of the K station. They're very different but both are great for aggressive modern electronica sounds. Though the A station was kinda metallic and harsh to me, while the Venom is still harsh but not metallic at all. I liked the filters in the Novation more though.
The A-Station was the first synth I ever bought so I've got a soft spot in my heart for it. I keep it in my 3-space rack case especially for its vocoder and, basic, but usable arpeggiator. I know what you're saying about its sound in that it took me seemingly forever to get a soft pad out of it that I liked although I eventually did (in case anyone wants the patch). The Xio and Nova have some great soft pads though so it was probably an issue of my programming ability.

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:00 am

"I liked the filters in the novation more though"
how do the filters in that compare to the bass station? I had a bass station rack and felt the filters in it were meh (kind of flat sounding). Yeah, they sounded full, but you could never get them to sound lush. just wondering if they're any different on the different novation machines.

Contrarily, the filters on the venom are just super ba. The lp has a nice squelch to it on fast cutoff sweeps, and the bp and band reject filters are pretty good sounding for subtle to extreme character changes. I wouldn't recommend for ones that want "nice" sounds though. I have a patch I made where I took a saw (I think?) and a noise oscillator, added some filter modulation, 12 voices of unison, a lil delay and verb, and a nice volume envelope to get this glorious sounding noise pad I don't know any other way of achieving.

It seems good for me for stuff you can't think of a way to do otherwise (imo).

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:26 am

They are totally different...The Bass Station filters are real analogue filters which were based on the EDP Wasp and designed by the same dude who made the Wasp (Chris Hugett)...A-Station, K-Station and so on are basically a slightly cut down Supernova which is a Virtual Analogue synth and is digital all the way.

Sound wise they sound different too, the B-Station filter is really dirty and nice imo
The filters on the A,K etc stations I found quite creamy but imo as a whole I didn't like them much, I loved them for a while but got tired of the plastic sound...always went back to the Bass Station, it's one of my fave cheap mono synths...

Sure it's a week DCO/Analogue mono compared to things like the Pulse etc but in the right hands it sounds ace and was the first synth I brought (not nicked..that goes to the DX-100)...
Imo the OSC's in the Nova's just suck, nothing happens when you detune them but for modern music you can get some great sounds out of em'

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:13 am

Love your Bass Station videos vinyl_junkie

I still want to have one simple monosynth keyboard. Trying to decide between the B-Station or Korg M500 now .. because of your video. LeadStation is right..

daguru

Post by daguru » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:48 pm

The K-station is a neat little monster. I usually use it for growl-y arpeggios, though never for live use. It has an error where it likes to reset itself every 6-7 minutes, which I never got around to diagnosing/fixing :/

Found mine in a pawn shop for $200
Wishlist: Andromeda, Jup-6, JD-800, Diabolical Devices TR-707

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:59 pm

breckjay wrote:i just bought a k station for $150 on ebay. just wanted to know if its has any drum patches? and if so are they good ?
Very good price, yes it does- cool way of doing it with loopable samples as "oscillators" (download the manual it will explain), yes they are good. Criminally under rated synth.

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:40 pm

It's mental how you can pick up a Supernova 2 Rack for £300 that is even more criminal

The K-Station is a nice little keyboard and seems to be very well made but the prices here in the UK seem to be quite high considering how cheap you can pick up the KS-4 and KS-5's....KS-4 for £200 any one?!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Apart from the slightly different filter sound, what are the other differences between the Supernova and the KS?