novation k station

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Re: novation k station

Post by vinyl_junkie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:55 pm

From memory...

3 Envelopes
Comb Filters
Better Mod Matrix + FM Routing
Extensive FM routing
8x Part Multi
Optional digital ADAT card
More enverope functions and ability to loop
Some other things...check out the manual on their website

And generaly a shi* load better than a Ultra Nova hahah, what were they thinking with that keyboard cos second hand you can pick up so much more and the same Novation sound...£500 for a Novation with no knob action and 1x part timbral when you can pick up a KS-4 for nothing?! The mind bogles

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:01 pm

Oh also I found the KS-Rack sounded quite different from the A-Station (I had a early blue A-Station serial number 14 or something) It was the one they reviewed in Future Music and I later got a KS-Rack when thy came out.
The KS is hard to describe but I found it smoother and I thought the filter was better than the A-Station also the Hyper-Sync was ace

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Thanks for the analysis! The only thing I'd personally miss from that list is a third envelope and the comb filters. There are enough FM facilities on the KS already for my tastes, and 4 parts is enough when you can multitrack. I really really disliked the filter on the Supernova, never heard the Supernova II. I quite like the one on the KS, in 12dB it's indistinguishable from a Yamaha CS. In fact, it does the whole CS PWM lead thing exactly.

I don't get this FM thing actually. On Nords a lot of the presets are FM. I really dislike the sound of FM synthesis, but I also don't understand why one might want to have FM sounds on a VA! It defeats the purpose IMO.

Dano

Post by Dano » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:07 pm

daguru wrote:The K-station is a neat little monster. I usually use it for growl-y arpeggios, though never for live use. It has an error where it likes to reset itself every 6-7 minutes, which I never got around to diagnosing/fixing :/
Hmmm, I've had my A-Station since early 2002, used it a lot and can never recall it resetting itself. Back around 2005 or so a new 2.xxxx OS was released for the A-Station and K-Station - You might try updating the OS although I don't know if this will fix your reset problem because that wasn't a commonly reported issue with the A/K-Stations AFAIK.

Dano

Post by Dano » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:24 pm

madtheory wrote:Apart from the slightly different filter sound, what are the other differences between the Supernova and the KS?

In addition to some of the other differences mentioned, the Nova/SN/SNII have modulation matrixes, can do "oscillator sync" with just one oscillator, have a feature of positive and negative skew on synced waveforms as well as a format width feature for both synced and saw/square waveforms, a soften parameter which can give control over the harmonic content of noise waveforms...there are other features as well but the SN line of synths IMO are much deeper than the later A/K Station, KS4/5, Xio.

eucarya

Post by eucarya » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:18 pm

I've had a K Station fr a few years (from a trade on VSE):

Pretty awesome VA, great to have everything knobbed. Three of the encoders ghost and send parameters when they shouldn't. Sometimes they are okay, sometimes they make the synth almost unusable. I've also had the problem w/ the unit resetting itself. I assumed this was b/c of the shitty Ratshack wall wart...

Lately I've been using the K Station to arpeggiate a Juno 106. It works great and this lets me play lead on the Juno while it's playing the arp pattern, and I can bring the K Station in to fatten up the sound.

I love the filters on the K Station, a distinct liquid-y sound that I haven't heard on anything else.

Was thinking about selling the K Station fr a bit, probably going to hold onto it and try to fix the few things wrong w/ it. Solid little VA.