reese dubstep bass

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Re: reese dubstep bass

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:54 am

I think the wobble bass is here to stay for a while. I love it and haven't gotten sick of it yet. It's how it's used, sounds, and what else is in a track that determine if I like it. There is a ton of shitty music that uses it. If I'm exposed to too much of that, I am sure I will associate it with c**p. Until then, I will enjoy that ziggy-ziggy sound.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Doci
Gear: Korg Prophecy, Korx X3, Korg M1R, UC-33e, Alesis Micron, Lvl. 12 Slowpoke, Dingus Egg
Band: Docipede

Post by Doci » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:48 pm

Example of accidental/foreshadowing dubstep from oddball genius Mr Oizo in 1999. Check 1.19+, tis hard.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:26 am

I hate it how now apparently (according to "them") everything that ever used LFO modulation is some kind of dubstep... and everything that has a snare on the 3rd quarter is now considered owned by "them"...

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:50 am

heh, nice. didn't know he had any videos off that album other than the one for flat beat.

Doci
Gear: Korg Prophecy, Korx X3, Korg M1R, UC-33e, Alesis Micron, Lvl. 12 Slowpoke, Dingus Egg
Band: Docipede

Post by Doci » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:12 am

cartesia wrote:I hate it how now apparently (according to "them") everything that ever used LFO modulation is some kind of dubstep... and everything that has a snare on the 3rd quarter is now considered owned by "them"...
Oh aye, tis a bugger. Can't put a half speed drum section in any electronic track without someone chiming in 'WHERES THE WOBBLE M8?'

Read something funny in the book 'The New Complete Synthesizer' from the 80s, found something along the line of: "A modulation generator can be used to modulate cutoff frequencies, although this was good for sound effects at the time it has since been exhausted by novelty electronic pop records".

And the handsome lead in the Analog Worms video is none other than a mister Kavinsky, DX7/80s theme tune enthusiast.

Voodoo Ray
Gear:
Akai
Waldorf
Roland
Yamaha

Post by Voodoo Ray » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:20 am

Can't understand the fuss over Dubstep. It's really popular here though, pretty much eclipsing DnB in popularity. Admittedly like any genre there are a few gems to be found but most of it is for the (trendy) kids. ;)
Wiglaf wrote:Once again, Detroit does it first. From 1988.

A shame this genre has had such a convoluted and distorted history despite all the innovations it made.