Interesting examples of ring modulation?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Interesting examples of ring modulation?

Post by pflosi » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:35 pm

Denms20 wrote:
pflosi wrote:a very funny trick with the MS20, the poor man's duophony patch. it's not only useful with ring mod, but particularly funny with it:

KBD CV out -> S/H in
KBD trig out -> S/H clock
S/H out -> VCO2 CV in

with this patch, the second osc will always play the note you played before. E.g. if you play a G, and then a C, the second osc will play a G when you play the C and this gives you a fifth chord.

this is very nice with the ring mod engaged.
To compound on this a bit, I used to use a patch similar where I had a footswitch hooked to the S&H instead of the keyboard trigger. Then pull osc. 1's mixer all the way down so you just have osc. 2 and adjust the footage a bit (I'll have to find the patch diagram for this). What happens is it plays kind of like a PWM type sound until you lay on the footpedal. Then it makes the one osc. stay put, and the other moves, causing all kinds of harmonic tension. Then add long portamento and you really have some ripping sounds.
There's an example here:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=1292210 starting at about 0:50 and going for about 10-20 seconds.
That's a nice idea too, like the sound example :) I guess in this setting the s/h will sample the key (respectively the cv of the key) you're playing when you hit the footswitch and hold it (for osc 2) until you hit it again - while osc 1 "moves" as you play (indeed nice with portamento). Great! :D

Also, another hint regarding ring modulation on the MS20: it's hardwired to the PW wave on osc 1, so regardless of the setting on osc 1, the ring mod is always osc 1 PW +/- osc 2. I say this because the pulsewidth setting on osc 1 changes the timbre for ring mod quite a bit even if only osc 2 ring mod is activated (i.e. mixed in on the mixer section), so don't forget to always mess with that :)

Betterthanprozac
Gear: Junos, Tetra, Virus KC, MEK, Micron, YC-20, V synth, Triton, etc...
Band: Outer Space Real Estate

Post by Betterthanprozac » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:09 am

The album Waka Jawaka by Frank Zappa features a bit of ring mod.

I personally use the Moog ring mod (usually sans LFO) to harshen the sound of my Wurly, very expressive with CV plugged in! I prefer it at about 25 % wet for texturing, and will only raise the wet mix for FX

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:58 am

orlando56 wrote:What about the Mini Korg 700s? It has three (I think) settings of ring modulation. From the demo videos I've listened to, it seems to be fairly pleasing and musical.
They're all pretty interesting. Whats particularly nice is that VCO1 can be pitch modulated by the vibrato, but VCO2 isn't modulated at all. This can lead to some pretty cool ringmod fx. Ringmod 1 and 2 are diff octaves and Ringmod 3 doesnt track the keys at all, leaving every note to have a diff effect.

Denms20
Gear: Korg MS-20, CX-3, SP 100, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Hammond CV, M3, S-6,L-100 Rhodes , Wurly, D-6 clav, Yamaha TX-7, Crumar T-1, Casio CZ-101

Post by Denms20 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:03 am

Betterthanprozac wrote:The album Waka Jawaka by Frank Zappa features a bit of ring mod.

I personally use the Moog ring mod (usually sans LFO) to harshen the sound of my Wurly, very expressive with CV plugged in! I prefer it at about 25 % wet for texturing, and will only raise the wet mix for FX
Do you by any chance have a recording of that? IT sounds like an interesting effect, might have to try it on my wurly.
Hammond CV, M3, s6, Korg MS-20, SP-100, CX-3, Hohner D-6, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Yamaha Tx7, Casio CZ101, Rhodes, Crumar T1
http://www.organdenstudio.com

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:12 am

Denms20 wrote:
Betterthanprozac wrote:The album Waka Jawaka by Frank Zappa features a bit of ring mod.

Do you by any chance have a recording of that? IT sounds like an interesting effect, might have to try it on my wurly.
The ring mod sound on Waka Jawaka is from an Arp Odyssey

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:19 am

Lots of great Ring Mod in the old Devo music. For example:

Betterthanprozac

Post by Betterthanprozac » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:12 am

Denms20 wrote:Do you by any chance have a recording of that?
Not at the moment, but I have a day off soon so I will try to record/post a sample...it blasts through the mix in a band setting! :mrgreen:

Betterthanprozac

Post by Betterthanprozac » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:25 pm

Here's my Wurly and ring mod example; the first 20 seconds is clean and the rest is a few different flavors of the ring mod moogerfooger.

This is one is a little better, Clavinet and ring mod. Clean riffs followed by adding ring mod
The clavinet lends itself well to using pedals with the Moogerfooger (I like controlling mix and freq) since it typically occupies both hands.

Denms20
Gear: Korg MS-20, CX-3, SP 100, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Hammond CV, M3, S-6,L-100 Rhodes , Wurly, D-6 clav, Yamaha TX-7, Crumar T-1, Casio CZ-101

Post by Denms20 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:22 am

Betterthanprozac wrote:Here's my Wurly and ring mod example; the first 20 seconds is clean and the rest is a few different flavors of the ring mod moogerfooger.

The clavinet lends itself well to using pedals with the Moogerfooger (I like controlling mix and freq) since it typically occupies both hands.
Cool coloration. I think I liked the first part on the wurly best (after the 20 seconds)
Hammond CV, M3, s6, Korg MS-20, SP-100, CX-3, Hohner D-6, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Yamaha Tx7, Casio CZ101, Rhodes, Crumar T1
http://www.organdenstudio.com

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:27 am

The radio communication between the rebel ships in Star Wars:

Hair

Post by Hair » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:31 pm

Jan Hammer uses a ring mod on his Rhodes all over the first Mahavishnu Orchestra album

His solo on this tune starts at 2:20, ring mod comes in very shortly after.. listen to the whole song though because it's disgusting.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:51 am

Hair wrote:Jan Hammer uses a ring mod on his Rhodes all over the first Mahavishnu Orchestra album

His solo on this tune starts at 2:20, ring mod comes in very shortly after.. listen to the whole song though because it's disgusting.
Note to self:
Run Rhodes through ring mod.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:13 am

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:08 am

guitar solo

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:11 am