Jupiter 6 Oscillators

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
laserboy

Jupiter 6 Oscillators

Post by laserboy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:55 pm

i saw in the description of the Jupiter 6, it says it has 2 osc´s (2 per voice) = 12 Ocs´s?
how is this possible`? i see it has only 2 osc´s shown on the panel ..im no expert,

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Jupiter 6 Oscillators

Post by Z » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:16 pm

Yes, each voice has 2 oscillators. There are 6 voices, for a total of 12 oscillators. Put the Jupe in UNISON mode and you'll have 12 osc of analog fatness.

laserboy

Post by laserboy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:54 pm

Z wrote:Yes, each voice has 2 oscillators. There are 6 voices, for a total of 12 oscillators. Put the Jupe in UNISON mode and you'll have 12 osc of analog fatness.

but u have only control for 2 osc´s right?

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:09 pm

laserboy wrote:
Z wrote:Yes, each voice has 2 oscillators. There are 6 voices, for a total of 12 oscillators. Put the Jupe in UNISON mode and you'll have 12 osc of analog fatness.

Yes - there aren't any facilities for individual control of each of the 12 VCOs, you have control over each of the 2 VCOs in each voice. Combining them with the unison mode engaged allows you to hear them stacked as a single monophonic cluster which you can further detune from each other with the unison detune knob.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:19 am

Besides the normal six-voice Unison mode the Jupiter 6 has an unusual, and possibly unique to the Jupiter series, mono-mode that allows only one voice to be used for a more authentic monosynth experience. There is also another unique Unison mode which stacks all six voices when you play one note, but when you play two notes each note is a three voice stack and playing three notes divides down to a two voice stack on each note, etc. You can also put the Jupiter 6 in split mode and have a two-voice stack on one side and a four-voice stack on the other with different sounds on each side of the split. The other Unison modes are still applicable so you could have a single voice monosynth on each side of the split or a stack that divides when you play more than one note or any combination of these Unison modes.
Last edited by V301H on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:56 am

"number of oscillators" is a colloquialism for "oscillators per voice." It's assumed that in order to get the total number of discrete oscillators present, one would multiply that number by the polyphony.

slippast

Post by slippast » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:02 am

To follow up one V30H's comment, If you have the Europa upgrade you can more easily turn all oscillators off. If, for example, you wanted to only have one single oscillator to play you would have to select that voice and mix all the way to that side. With Europa you can disable one of the two voices without changing the mix setting.

Weird, I know, but it makes sense when you use it. If you want a one oscillator synth, or single voice with two oscillators and no mix, it's slightly easier with Europa.

...Not that I need to sell Europa, if you don't have it you're missing out on 70% of the fun.

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:07 am

V301H wrote:Besides the normal six-voice mono-mode the Jupiter 6 has an unusual, and possibly unique to the Jupiter series, mono-mode that allows only one voice to be used for a more authentic monosynth experience.
On the OB8, in unison mode, you can engage as many or as few of the 8 voices as you want (i.e., you could turn off 7 of the 8 voices). I'm guessing you know this, as I see the OB8 in your gearlist, but I'm wondering if what you describe on the Jupiter 6 is different...

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:56 am

Another less elegant way to turn off or at least silence an oscillator on a stock Jupiter 6 is to select the variable pulse waveform and set the pulse-width to zero.
Regarding the OB8, yes it is possible to disable or turn voices off to reduce the number of voices in Unison mode. You do this by going to Page 2 and use the bank buttons to select which voice you want to disable/enable. This is a global setting which can't be stored in memory. The intent of this function is for disabling a malfunctioning voice. This is not quite the same as the Jupiter 6 which has three types of Mono-mode accessed by buttons on the front panel which can be stored in memory as part of one of the 32 patch pre-sets (192 with Europa), which also includes splits and arpeggiator settings.
Last edited by V301H on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Userfriend

Post by Userfriend » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:51 am

laserboy wrote:
Nothing unique for the Jupiter 6. This design became the standard for polysynths from the 70´s and decades ahead. What you do with these controls affects all voices. Exceptions are synths like Oberheim TVS/FVS etc. Which uses dual vco modules with full control of each voice, but you can easily see how much space that takes. A very early polysynth design. There are also multitimbral synths but they still use to have that "per voice-design" on the panel, you just move to next voice you want to control, but the physical controls are the same for all voices.
Last edited by Userfriend on Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:23 am

Check out the controls on a Korg Mono/Poly. That one is setup a bit different than the "norm."

laserboy

Post by laserboy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:05 pm

V301H wrote:Besides the normal six-voice mono-mode the Jupiter 6 has an unusual, and possibly unique to the Jupiter series, mono-mode that allows only one voice to be used for a more authentic monosynth experience. There is also another unique mono-mode which stacks all six voices when you play one note, but when you play two notes each note is a three voice stack and playing three notes divides down to a two voice stack on each note, etc. You can also put the Jupiter 6 in split mode and have a two-voice stack on one side and a four-voice stack on the other with different sounds on each side of the split. The other mono-modes are still applicable so you could have a single voice monosynth on each side of the split or a stack that divides when you play more than one note or any combination of these mono-modes.

and how u get this monomode?

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:36 pm

V301H wrote:Besides the normal six-voice mono-mode the Jupiter 6 has an unusual, and possibly unique to the Jupiter series, mono-mode that allows only one voice to be used for a more authentic monosynth experience. There is also another unique mono-mode which stacks all six voices when you play one note, but when you play two notes each note is a three voice stack and playing three notes divides down to a two voice stack on each note, etc. You can also put the Jupiter 6 in split mode and have a two-voice stack on one side and a four-voice stack on the other with different sounds on each side of the split. The other mono-modes are still applicable so you could have a single voice monosynth on each side of the split or a stack that divides when you play more than one note or any combination of these mono-modes.
But you still can't get it down to one VCO per voice in mono-mode, right?

I just read in an old comtemporary keyboard magazine that synth-wizard Michael Boddicker modified his Prophet 5 with cut-off switches for the voices so he could put the instrument into unison and get it down to one oscillator. Says Boddicker "that was one of my major concerns. I bought the instrument when I was still doing a lot of film work and I thought if I really wanted to get an honest-to-God oboe, I would never be able to get it unless I could get it down to one oscillator. And I can adjust the amount of keyboard voltage going to the filter."

Lyle Mays, on the other hand, apparently felt that his Obie 4-voice didn't sound fat enough so he had it modified so he could gang each module with another Oberheim module. This allowed 4 oscillators per voice in poly-mode! The commercially available 8-voice at the time could not do this.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:42 pm

laserboy wrote:

and how u get this monomode?
Push UNISON and MONO together at same time. You can download the manual for free @ www.RolandUS.com

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:44 pm

Micke wrote:
But you still can't get it down to one VCO per voice in mono-mode, right?
You could turn the oscillator mixer to just one oscillator.