Jupiter 6 Oscillators

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Re: Jupiter 6 Oscillators

Post by V301H » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:29 pm

It is actually possible to turn off both oscillators when you want only filter self-oscillation. As mentioned in my previous post set the pulse-width to zero on oscillator 1 and set the mixer knob all the way to the left. Osc 1 is silenced by having zero pulse-width and Osc 2 is taken out of the mix.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

laserboy

Post by laserboy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:14 pm

Z wrote:
laserboy wrote:
V301H wrote:Besides the normal six-voice mono-mode the Jupiter 6 has an unusual, and possibly unique to the Jupiter series, mono-mode that allows only one voice to be used for a more authentic monosynth experience. There is also another unique mono-mode which stacks all six voices when you play one note, but when you play two notes each note is a three voice stack and playing three notes divides down to a two voice stack on each note, etc. You can also put the Jupiter 6 in split mode and have a two-voice stack on one side and a four-voice stack on the other with different sounds on each side of the split. The other mono-modes are still applicable so you could have a single voice monosynth on each side of the split or a stack that divides when you play more than one note or any combination of these mono-modes.

and how u get this monomode?
Push UNISON and MONO together at same time. You can download the manual for free @ http://www.RolandUS.com

UNISON and MONO? cant see a MONO Button.. You mean "SOLO" Button?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:33 pm

Yes, SOLO is what I meant. Yes, I've owned my Jupe 6 for 15 years, and should know the front panel like the back of my hand.

Download the manual. I also recommend getting the Europa upgrade from Synthcom.

laserboy

Post by laserboy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:55 pm

cool, thanx very much..

slippast

Post by slippast » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:02 am

Z wrote:
Micke wrote:
V301H wrote:Besides the normal six-voice mono-mode the Jupiter 6 has an unusual, and possibly unique to the Jupiter series, mono-mode that allows only one voice to be used for a more authentic monosynth experience. There is also another unique mono-mode which stacks all six voices when you play one note, but when you play two notes each note is a three voice stack and playing three notes divides down to a two voice stack on each note, etc. You can also put the Jupiter 6 in split mode and have a two-voice stack on one side and a four-voice stack on the other with different sounds on each side of the split. The other mono-modes are still applicable so you could have a single voice monosynth on each side of the split or a stack that divides when you play more than one note or any combination of these mono-modes.
But you still can't get it down to one VCO per voice in mono-mode, right?
You could turn the oscillator mixer to just one oscillator.
That's true. With the Europa upgrade you can just turn them on and off, no mixing.

iphoenix

Post by iphoenix » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:40 am

Re: Jupiter 6 Oscillators & V301H 's post below» Thu Mar 03

" It is actually possible to turn off both oscillators when you want only filter self-oscillation. As mentioned in my previous post set the pulse-width to zero on oscillator 1 and set the mixer knob all the way to the left. Osc 1 is silenced by having zero pulse-width and Osc 2 is taken out of the mix."

Hi V301H,
Im a long time Jupiter 6 owner & programmer (& have not been interested in the Europa upgrade apart from for patch storage).
I was very interested to read your post above as I have never thought of that & yet it seems so obvious now, thanks!
Following what you said above however I still can not silence OSC 1, even though technically it should be silenced with the Pulse Wave Osc on OSC 1 & the Pulse Width set to zero. It does not seem to work that way on my J 6. There still seems to be sound from OSC 1 even with both the Balance & Osc mix set full left , or to just OSC1.
Personally Im thinking that this may because the Pulse Width when set to 0 or minimum setting leaves the Pulse width still wider than zero pulse width technically. Maybe its just my J6.
There should be no sound at all with this setting theoretically, when the resonance is set low & or the frequency is set very low , but on my J6 it still sounds as if the OSC 1 is still playing & sounding 'normal' albeit the VCF frequency needs to be a bit higher than zero.
Surely this is not just the sound of the filter itself ? That doesn't make sense to me. ( I mean on a low resonance setting.) I would expect to hear it on a high Resonance setting but not when it is set low.
I know the sound of a self-oscillating filter & ok ,when the resonance is full it does sound more or less like a self oscillating filter as you would expect but it would do anyway with the oscillator level up , ie : on a sawtooth wave eg.
Strange

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:53 am

I just checked my (non Europa) JP-6, and the pulsewidth trick works fine. No oscillator sound at all.

I guess you're dealing with a calibration issue. There should be some variable resistors on the voiceboards for adjusting how far PW goes. But don't mess around with it unless you know what you are doing and have the right tools!

Calibration instructions can be found on google. You will need a multimeter and an oscilloscope.
Monkey business since 2007!

iphoenix

Post by iphoenix » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:35 am

Hi Sexor,
Thanks..
Ok , yes I think you are right as there is just about no sound when the pulse width is set to 10 or full, but I guess that would be equal to 0 anyway, just not on my Jupiter 6.
I think I will leave it until I send it for a service some time in the future. ( The lfo2 button is broken too)
No big deal anyway as there are more important things than turning off both oscillators ! & it looks as if I can do that with pulse width set to 10 (full )anyway.

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:16 pm

Oh, ok, well I think you should disregard the numbers next to the slider, they are only representative of the setting level, not the actual pulsewidth amount.

A pulse width slider setting of "0" actually means you should get a 50/50 width (square) pulsewave, not 0 pulsewidth.
Monkey business since 2007!