If Korg can make a Monotron that sells for $65...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

If Korg can make a Monotron that sells for $65...

Post by cartesia » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Surely they can make a 2xosc, 2xenv, LFO, same filter... Semi-Modular box for less than $500... (and people would be going crazy for it!)

This is what I hate about music gear - so many things have a ridiculous price-point discrepancy.. It's obvious that we are getting reamed by a vast number of the products on the market

tim gueguen

Re: If Korg can make a Monotron that sells for $65...

Post by tim gueguen » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:11 pm

That strikes me as a pretty major leap. The Monotron has 6 controls and a couple of jacks. Its single oscillator puts out a single nonadjustable waveform, its LFO has a single waveform, and there's no evelope generators. It has a tiny, cheap case. That's quite a way from a 21st Century MS20. And that doesn't include other concerns, like do you include MIDI? Do you make it compatible with analog modlules and synths from other companies? I'm sure there are others.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Instrument Panel

Post by Instrument Panel » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:26 pm

tim gueguen wrote:. . . The Monotron has 6 controls and a couple of jacks. Its single oscillator puts out a single nonadjustable waveform, its LFO has a single waveform, and there's no evelope generators. It has a tiny, cheap case. . . .
And yet it's a work of genius. 8-)

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:56 pm

Well, they probably could build such a thing since synths like Dark Energy and Kraftzwerg are in the $6-700 range...I assume you don't expect an actual keyboard too for your five bills ;)

But I don't think they will bother.
cartesia wrote:It's obvious that we are getting reamed by a vast number of the products on the market
Only if you buy them brand new :ebay:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:41 pm

Part of the thing about the MFB and Doepfer "minisynths" is that both companies have an ongoing involvement with developing and marketing analog synths and accessories. Korg's last long term involvement with synths with any sort of major analog content was 25 years ago. What effect that might have on the price and quality of the "MS2011" we're discussing here is an obvious question.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bassdude » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:30 am

I cant speak for musical instruments, but in my line of work there are quite a few somewhat hidden costs that add to the MSRP of a given product. For instance: our cost for tires went up by nearly 100 percent in 2008 because of fluctuations in currency, which made shipping more expensive, and the price of petroleum which also affected shipping as well as rubber production. Shipping prices, inflation, currency discrepancies and all kinds of other factors can raise the price of what would seem to be a cheap product to make.

On the other hand, it would seem that one of the big companies would be able to produce this "MS2011" at a cheaper price than the smaller companies based on their size alone. The more you make of something, the cheaper it should should be to produce (in theory).

I would love to see something like this happen, and i feel that based on the popularity of sites like this and the ever rising prices for just about any vintage synth or drum machine (especially analog) it would seem to be a no brainer. However, as someone else here mentioned, we are most likely a small minority of the keyboard-buying public. Think about how many Casio CTKwhatevers get sold, versus even the widely popular Mircokorg or the like. Id say the Casio outsells the Mirco 10 to 1, but i could be wrong. Being that this thing would be somewhat a niche product, it would be a gamble to make and more expensive to make.

Heres what id like:
Analog 2 osc, the basic waveforms
Simple midi
No effects (id rather save some money on the board and add decent effects later as neccessary)
49 or less keys (or just a desktop)
No arp, or just a simple one
Leave out all the the unecessary stuff to keep costs down
Spend the money where it counts, like on the filters instead of on wood endcheeks or crazy paintjobs.

RD9

Post by RD9 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:16 am

Yeah if anything, Korg's next logical step is to actually follow the path that has already been paved by companies like DSI and Doepfer in developing chainable, affordable, pseudo-modular units like the Mopho, Evolver, Tetra, and Dark Energy. It's less risky than developing a full blown synth with keyboard, or even a full blown sound module, but still satisfies the needs of a lot of people.

But it's too expensive to develop and produce what we want and I think Korg is used to a certain level of profit margin since it's a bigger company than either DSI or Doepfer so they won't really develop anything like a Dark Energy. Even if they only did a Mopho type of unit, it would have to sell as well as MicroKorgs for them to consider it a success. Unfortunately the MicroKorg is a much cheaper thing to produce since it's digital, plus it doesn't have a lot of knobs, so you can hardly even compare.

I'm thinking that Korg is sticking to their bread and butter like the Kaossilator and MicroKorg lines (both digital). They'd have to take too big a risk to dive into a more complicated thing like analog. Maybe if they acquired a company that's already developing analog synths, they could leverage it and release a synth under the Korg label, kind of like the way Apple, Adobe, and Microsoft swallow up and buy smaller software companies and repackage/re-release the software under their own name.

colmon

Post by colmon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:38 am

i can't believe this inane non-issue is being discussed again. wtf is wrong with you people

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:25 am

I dare say once a few used monotrons are on the market, with some mods anyone with a soldering iron will be able to take 4 monotrons and make a 4-osc, 2 env (LFO-one-shot-mod), + 2 LFO MIDI-capable mega-monotron for quite a bit less than $500. It would still be a monosynth but that's no problem.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:39 pm

I'm surprised Korg didn't cram a Monotron in their Chronos. :?
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:14 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:I'm surprised Korg didn't cram a Monotron in their Chronos. :?
With such a nice MS-20 emulation, it would be interesting to have at least the analog filter on board.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

RD9

Post by RD9 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:25 pm

colmon wrote:i can't believe this inane non-issue is being discussed again. wtf is wrong with you people
Speaking from a corporate perspective, it's because it's important to let manufacturers know how important it is that they get it right. Much of the first reactions that a product receives upon initial release constitutes knee j**k reactions that are sometimes unimportant. Long term feedback and repeated discussions carries additional weight on top of first impressions. It's very important that a product is periodically reassessed in order to properly influence future development in the right direction. If a product stops being discussed out in the market, it is a reflection of a loss of interest in the product line. Short of showing support by buying first generation litmus tests like the monotron, the next best thing you can do is show repeated interest through discussion. If you leave it up to only the people who have bought the monotron and are content with it, progress will move slowly. I for one would like to see korg jump into the dark energy/mopho/lancet arena, despite the challenges they would have to overcome.

soundwave106

Post by soundwave106 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:41 pm

bassdude wrote:However, as someone else here mentioned, we are most likely a small minority of the keyboard-buying public.
The general trend of Korg has been to focus either on flagship workstation products (Kronos) or to focus on cheap "entry level" products (Microkorg).

Software synths seem to have really hit the large-scale VAs hard. Korg seems to have been discontinuing any VA more complicated than the Microkorg (eg Radias). For many people, I imagine that software also has also turned the analog synth into a more niche product.

I do notice that some of the newer analogs, such as from Moog or DSI, seem to sell decently well -- at least on online charts -- and I wonder if Korg would do pretty decently bringing back a new analog MS-20 with MIDI / USB. I don't know if Korg could support a more niche product these days; a new MS-20 (if done right) will sell decently to the analog crowd on its known name alone, but that may not be enough.

The good news is that lower run productions of electronics are easier to do than ever. How many new semi-modular analogs are on the market now? Doepfer Dark Energy, Tom Oberheim SEM, MFB Kraftzwerg, Future Retro XS, Analogue Solutions Vostok, Cwejman S1, Anywhere Tinysizer. I'm probably forgetting a few. They may have production runs in the 100s, not 10000s, but that's okay with a smaller company. Some of them (Doepfer, MFB in particular) are in fact pretty low cost. You aren't lacking for choice these days.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:07 pm

BTW I am definitely considering buying a 2nd monotron and trying to mesh them together.. have already put the EG switch mod in my 1st one.. makes a big difference. (I was a bit annoyed when I got the mono and realised the LFO wasn't sine/triangle shaped..)

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:05 am

"Speaking from a corporate perspective, it's because it's important to let manufacturers know how important it is that they get it right..."

I think sales are the bottom line and talk is relatively unimportant.
People obsess on fantasy products and when someone actually makes them they come up with a minor excuse not to buy it. Also, products are lambasted and goofed on, but then do crazy numbers. KORG microKORG to be exact.

Who saw that coming?

Workstations are dead? Yet the KRONOS has the whole planets attention.
It will do numbers.

Tons of analog synths are available in multiple flavors over at analogue haven, but we'd rather ask KORG to make the same product that's already available over there.

If you want KORG to take you seriously, don't post, purchase.
Buying two Monotrons says more than making two more threads.

I don't really care if KORG dives back in the analogue market. It might best for all the other manufacturers if they didn't. But I do admit if they did, I'd check out the offerings.

They would have to surpass what everyone else has and be cheaper or else you'll have the same people begging KORG to jump back in saying that a used MS10/20/2000 is a better value or a piece that's already here (ahem Doepfer Dark Energy) is a smarter buy.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com