If Korg can make a Monotron that sells for $65...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
smoothcriminal

Re: If Korg can make a Monotron that sells for $65...

Post by smoothcriminal » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:37 am

tallowwaters wrote:Right, you did that on purpose.
Why don't you explain the proper rules of capitalization to me as well? I mean, that sentence was in ALL CAPS in addition to mis-using "your" instead of "you're"... if you really want to bring the level of discourse down to grade-school spelling and grammar nitpickery, it might support your thesis (your opinion is infallable, therefore anyone who differs in opinion is a moron who doesn't speak English) if you were to point out that proper sentence structure includes only one capital letter at the beginning of a sentence and a period at the end, as opposed to my improper use of all capital letters. Maybe you could point out the length of that run-on sentence as well :geek:

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:10 am

smoothcriminal wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:Right, you did that on purpose.
bla bla bla
never f**k with somebody that cut the beard off a man in a bar with his girlfriend scissors instead of punching him...
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:25 am

smoothcriminal wrote:the blind rage of the folks my fake quote was satirizing causes them to disregard little things like spelling and grammar as they heatedly type their latest rant against the ignorant swine that dare to differ in opinion from them.
:? But that quote came after a posting from me. No blind rage here, and certainly no spelling or grammatical errors. It seems that everyone else who's posted in this thread has done a pretty good job of being patient with you and RD9, at least the first couple of times you repeated yourself.

You've progressed now from simply repeating your one line which although displaying a lack of knowledge of how businesses work was actually related to the topic, to attempting to pick fights. If you don't have anything to add to the discussion I'd recommend, for the good of everyone who reads this forum, not posting anything.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:28 am

Sorry, after Stab's post, this may be a little redundant...he beat me while I was typing this...

ok...I am confused as to why this keeps devolving into a shouting match. I seriously stayed away from VSE for nearly two years because of s**t like this, but I am doing my best to understand what is going on, so bear [is that the right bear? bare?] with me here..

A couple of parties here think that Korg should bring back a cheap a*s synth based the monotron architecture...

I think everyone here thinks it's a great idea, they would be interested in it, etc...but at the same time a few others [myself included] are skeptical that Korg can:

A: make a "doutron" with modular capabilities at $120.
B: Korg would do much analog beyond the monotron, given Korg's manufacturing lines.
C: that is makes any business sense for those guys.

I am not sure that this is an unreasonable reaction Given that the internet and forums can be horrible places for nuance, maybe Cartesia, RD9, and Smooth Criminal, you can explain what reaction you want? Seriously. Not a sarcastic statement though it could be read that way...

I am serious when I say that I think all of us on here would love it...with the same sincerity, I also tried to explain why I doubt this would happen, but that is my opinion, and I'd LOVE to be proven wrong. I think literally everyone on here would be stoked with a cheap analog MS-20...I think if Roland wanted to make some kind of analog Jupiter again we'd all be amazed and try to figure out how to start saving...I think the general consensus around here though, is that those guys make too much on their product lines already. Korg and Roland are successful with what they are bringing to market...as a result of not wanting to wait around for those guys to make something, there are TONS of innovative small manufacturers that tend to cater to the scale of synth enthusiast markets, from midi-box 808 projects, to acidlab and Jomox, DSI, moog, FutureRetro and oberhiem, and all the modular stuff out there we have tons of great options at our fingertips.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:42 am

Well said hyphen.

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:47 am

hyphen nation wrote: Smooth Criminal, you can explain what reaction you want?
Since you asked, reasoned responses that don't involve ad-hominems. There have been quite a few good ones between the shouting. Also if people would stop "complaining about discussion on a discussion forum" that would be awesome.
hyphen nation wrote:I am confused as to why this keeps devolving into a shouting match.
I am confused by the negativity as well, but i can tell you that many people are offended by thinly veiled insults, and when they are repeated over and over things tend to go downhill. Human nature 101, if you will. I can dig up a dozen examples just in the first few pages of this thread but I honestly don't think it's even necessary when we didn't even get past page 1 before the first "YOUR A RETARD FOR TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING I DONT WANT TO TALK ABOUT" post. I wouldn't care to speculate where that attitude comes from, but speaking from a purely chronological perspective I believe the devolution can be traced back to there.

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:57 am

This thread is a prime example of why the mods here might need a middle manager... in this day and age it would prolly be a woman.

seriously.. what the f**k are we really talking about here?
You really think this thread is about the Roland re-releasing a Jupiter 8 for $1,000 ??

It's not... at least to me.

It's about Korg re-releasing a monotron MKII for a nominal fee.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:43 am

We are talking about the capability of the big 3 of making new analog synths preferably polysynths and its just annoying when some people try to come across like experts and try to tell you that its just not possible at all.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:32 pm

Given the gravity of what's going on in Japan right now, Korg probably have other things on their mind, even if the current stuff is made in China.

My take on this is: Korg doesn't want to make them, so what? If they did, they would've crammed the Monotron in the KRONOS, and build on it later.

It'd be nice if Korg did make one, but I wouldn't buy it. I've got what I need, and in my case, Korg are too late to take advantage of my cash (unless it's step sequencer that appeals).

If you don't mind the digital origins, I am rediscovering the warmth and fun of a KORG MS2000R. It makes for a passable emulation of a MS 20 in certain scenarios and I've heard of these babies selling for around $300 or less.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:23 pm

smoothcriminal wrote:
hyphen nation wrote: Smooth Criminal, you can explain what reaction you want?
Since you asked, reasoned responses that don't involve ad-hominems.
I'll tell you what. Go read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

And if you don't understand how it dictates a corporation like Korg's actions then we can talk about it. I'll give you a hint, it's why the big 3 now produce countless digital pianos and sampling workstations...

soundwave106

Post by soundwave106 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:21 pm

th0mas wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand
And if you don't understand how it dictates a corporation like Korg's actions then we can talk about it. I'll give you a hint, it's why the big 3 now produce countless digital pianos and sampling workstations...
More than just that IMHO... corporate culture has a lot to do with it.

The only reason Alesis made the Andromeda was because there were enough analog heads within the corporation to pitch for it. If Korg's engineers are mostly DSP types, there's no way they'll pitch for analog.

You can make a product with less demand profitably. I'm sure the demand for some of Yamaha's orchestral instruments is much less than an analog synth would be. However, an analog synth is obviously more niche than the Kronos, and keep in mind that they have competition. On the "low cost" end for instance anything around $400 would be competing with the Mopho.

So it probably isn't in their business plan. Still, there's a world of difference between "not in their business plan right now" and "no way will they ever ever ever ever do it" (insert random insults) :facepalm:.

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:20 pm

The topic of the Korg and Roland re-making analogue gear has been around for years, I remember talking to a Roland rep back in about 92 or 93 about this and he said it would never happen.

If I was Korg or Roland I would be very cautious about building anything new and analogue due to 2 things.

1 - A lack of sales. You would be very suprised how little some new analogue machines sell. I know of one well thought of mono that was built that sold less than 250 units, and it wasnt even that expensive.

2 - Lets look at Dave Smith, godfather of MIDI and Polyphonic synthesis, amongst other things, who rose from the ashes of Sequential and his work with Yamaha/Korg, produced a great analogue/digital hybrid which got a great deal of praise. Then gave the customers what they wanted in an analogue only unit, Prophet08/Mopho and has had nothing but hate thrown his way on the various forums and mailing lists.

Alesis and their Andromeda suffered from massive amounts of bashing and low sales etc.

Moog as well have been bashed about the Little Phatty and Voyager.

A few companies do give the synth world what they want, but it is never good enough. Also as a percentage the people on forums represent a very tiny segment of the synth buying world, shocking I know but maybe some people on here do not understand that.
You always want just one more Synth!

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:55 pm

Synthacon wrote:The topic of the Korg and Roland re-making analogue gear has been around for years, I remember talking to a Roland rep back in about 92 or 93 about this and he said it would never happen.
Well that was 18 years ago or so...would like to hear what they think of it now..
Synthacon wrote: I was Korg or Roland I would be very cautious about building anything new and analogue due to 2 things.

1 - A lack of sales. You would be very suprised how little some new analogue machines sell. I know of one well thought of mono that was built that sold less than 250 units, and it wasnt even that expensive.
What synth was that?
Synthacon wrote:2 - Lets look at Dave Smith, godfather of MIDI and Polyphonic synthesis, amongst other things, who rose from the ashes of Sequential and his work with Yamaha/Korg, produced a great analogue/digital hybrid which got a great deal of praise. Then gave the customers what they wanted in an analogue only unit, Prophet08/Mopho and has had nothing but hate thrown his way on the various forums and mailing lists.
Have you seen DSI artists page? Nearly everyone have been happy with their stuff..no they don't get nothing but hate, they are doing very well.
Synthacon wrote:Moog as well have been bashed about the Little Phatty and Voyager.
Their sales have also been going well, something like 30,000 Voyagers sold...and they just bought a new headquarters in Ashville for $2.5 million "The location will house the company’s 35 employees engaged in worldwide sales and marketing, research and development, and manufacturing operations."
Synthacon wrote:A few companies do give the synth world what they want, but it is never good enough. Also as a percentage the people on forums represent a very tiny segment of the synth buying world, shocking I know but maybe some people on here do not understand that.
I seriously doubt people use forums to gauge synthesizer sales.