Roland Connect - Countdown!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Roland Connect - Countdown!

Post by StepLogik » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:48 pm

http://www.rolandconnect.com/

counting down for something BIG! its gotta be either a new piano bench or a General Midi arranger/backing module. :lol:

or, the long fabled MC-1000 :shock:

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:20 pm

a MIDI bandoneon?

GR3U synth pickup for ukuleles?

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:11 am

:lol:

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:24 am

its not hidden, dude

just click the product links
w00t

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:47 am

The RC-30 actually looks pretty cool.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:54 am

meatballfulton wrote:a MIDI bandoneon?

CLOSE !

FR-18 diatonic
V-Accordion
A World of Musical Genres in One Amazing Instrument
features
Introducing the world’s first diatonic digital accordion! With the same level of sound quality and natural, dynamic response as its award-winning V-Accordion predecessors, the new FR-18 diatonic is a dream for accordionists seeking a world-class diatonic instrument that can do it all. The FR-18 diatonic features a brand new sound set that lets you choose instantly from a lineup of 12 virtual diatonic accordions as well as a variety of orchestral instruments, Virtual Tone Wheel organs, percussion, and more!

•World’s first digital diatonic accordion
•12 onboard accordion models, including three user sets
•Virtual Tone Wheel organs onboard with slow and fast rotary
•Four user program registrations
•Programmable keyboard and bass button layout
•Drum function for manual percussion via bass and chord buttons
•Player is free to roam with battery (AA) power and wireless capability*
*Wireless unit and batteries are optional, sold separately.

When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:17 pm

JayEm wrote:its not hidden, dude

just click the product links
the listed products are from NAMM. the countdown is for MusicMesse. the implication is that Roland is going to introduce something awesome in Frankfurt (why else would they countdown?). obviously, we know that is very unlikely unless you want a Roland MS-8000 Xtreme Music Stand w/ MP3 playback and a sheet music light.

or, perhaps the Dr. Lecture mahogany lectern with PZM mic and custom 3x5 index card holder tickles your fancy?

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:24 pm

I hope it is VSTs of their most popular synths.

cough, cough...

justin_havu
Gear: Korg 01/W Pro X, Kurzweil PC2x, K2000VP, Alesis Quadrasynth, QS6.2, Roland JV-80, D-10, D-110, Custom-built PC running Sonar X2
Band: Trial By Faith

Post by justin_havu » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:38 pm

Maybe a Fantom-Gi, with an even bigger non-touchscreen display...
Waveforms, and filters, and knobs. Oh my!

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:09 pm

justin_havu wrote:Maybe a Fantom-Gi, with an even bigger non-touchscreen display...
Fantom-G owners will go bonkers if they just make a whole new version. everyone on the RolandClan forums is praying for a 2.0 OS update that fixes all the bugs.

danbroad
Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Post by danbroad » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:44 pm

What it most probably won't be is anything of any much interest to anyone on here... which is a huge shame.

Roland created some of the most iconic gear in music production, but these days it caters to a more global market, one in which digital accordions and karaoke backers are king. I lament the old stuff, but the V-synth and the JV line are probably the best of their digital age.

They're capable of wonderful stuff, but I guess a company does what it must to survive. There's little mileage in a new Jupiter 8, and there's profit in digital pianos and BOSS guitar FX. Gotta go where the money is, can't fault them for that. A Gaia and SH201 does not a synth company make...

Thanks heavens there's DSI, Moog, Access, Clavia, and the rejuvenated modular market for synth lovers; the big names may have shifted to other things, but the synth-geeks market has never looked so good. It's just the stuff we go bananas for now has Jomox, MFB, Doepfer, Virus, MOTM, Makenoise, Tiptop etc on the front panel.
Less words more noise

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:22 am

In order to compete with Korg, Roland will have to pair the V-Synth with the Fantom; the resulting Fantom V would be a VERY capable machine. Taking the Fantom G as a starting point and improving what's already there & including the V-Synth engine, will certainly make me reach for my wallet. I feel quite sure this machine will in fact be a reality in the not so distant future.

paugui

Post by paugui » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:23 pm

Hugo76 wrote:In order to compete with Korg, Roland will have to pair the V-Synth with the Fantom; the resulting Fantom V would be a VERY capable machine. Taking the Fantom G as a starting point and improving what's already there & including the V-Synth engine, will certainly make me reach for my wallet. I feel quite sure this machine will in fact be a reality in the not so distant future.

I think that would be poor when compared with the Kronos...
Even if Roland would include an emulation of the D-50 (the one in the VC-1) and an emulation of the JD990 and all the ROM available for their previous ROMplers, in terms of synthesis, it would be shy off from the Korg Kronos.

The amazingness of the Kronos, at least to me, is that you have a huge amount of different synthesis methods.
Unfortunately Roland didn't develop that many digital synthesis methods...
If they want to do something like the Kronos, they will for sure have lots of work to do and develop some more synthesis types to be included.

The only company in which I have some hopes to create a rival for the Kronos soon is Yamaha.
An updated Yamaha EX5 (polyphony and algorithms) together with the abilities of the SY99, FS1r and the VP1 would definitely be a killer.

That's something I'd really like to see, especially cause it would likely drive down the prices of the VL1 :P

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:53 am

Roland just needs to quit making "2.0" products and actually finish one. They have a long legacy of products where the buggy software was never finished and the product simply abandoned for a new model (SP samplers, MC-909, etc).

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:44 pm

paugui wrote:I think that would be poor when compared with the Kronos...
Even if Roland would include an emulation of the D-50 (the one in the VC-1) and an emulation of the JD990 and all the ROM available for their previous ROMplers, in terms of synthesis, it would be shy off from the Korg Kronos.
I think it would definately be a worthy contender. I too think the Kronos is amazing, but Roland's Variphrase technology is *very* interesting, and I think a lot of potential buyers would love its sample mangling possibilities. Roland have many classic synths that could be emulated, or better yet they should just expand on their current VA technology.
In my view, Roland should definately be able to come up with a worthy contender to the Kronos, without too much difficulties.

And yeah, an upgraded EX5 would also be killer. Do they really have much of a choice, come to think of it?