Roland Connect - Countdown!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Post by cartesia » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:51 am

Roland need to pull their head out their a*s and actually ask what features people want..

The development of the last SP sampler products has basically been to remove unique features people liked, continue to refuse adding basic features which everyone expects, and to introduce retarded s**t that people don't want to pay for..

The only thing I like in roland is the loopers.. they're actually not too bad

danbroad
Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Post by danbroad » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:37 pm

cartesia wrote:Roland need to pull their head out their a*s and actually ask what features people want..
I agree from a VSE/synth enthusiasts point of view, but I guess that a company like Roland has done its R+D, and their future lies in the products it makes. I have no interest at all in a MIDI accordion, but perhaps elsewhere in cyberspace there's an accordion forum which is going crazy over the new Roland stuff.... the Jupiter 8 of accordions has arrived!
Less words more noise

depulse
Gear: List is too long, analog and digital synths and samplers....

Post by depulse » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:48 pm

From several sources I've got information that for once Roland might have something interesting to show. Let's see...

Korg TritonExtr+MOSSRoland XV5080+D550+MKS80+MKS70+MKS7+MKS50+S550+JP8080+Juno60+JD990, ATC1, ESQM Yamaha A5k+An1x+SY77+TG77+TX802+TX7 Akai S5k+MPC1k, Mopho, Blofeld, EMaxRack, NordRack2, Indigo2, Rogue, MD, Linndrum, Pro1, Drumulator, M1AM1, Pulse

paugui

Post by paugui » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:22 am

depulse wrote:From several sources I've got information that for once Roland might have something interesting to show. Let's see...
Do you happen to have more concrete information about what they are planning? :mrgreen:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:11 am

cartesia wrote:Roland need to pull their head out their a*s and actually ask what features people want..

The development of the last SP sampler products has basically been to remove unique features people liked, continue to refuse adding basic features which everyone expects, and to introduce retarded s**t that people don't want to pay for..

The only thing I like in roland is the loopers.. they're actually not too bad
I dunno, the SP-404SX is a big improvement on the SP-404. It's actually a pretty great piece of gear. The progression from 202/303/404/404SX has been one of improvements all the way as far as I can tell. They've also made the most advanced and awesome synth/sampler ever, the V-Synth.

Asking people what they want is a recipe for disaster. I used to work at Myer and the results of a customer survey one year were that people didn't care how the store was presented, they just wanted things to be cheap. So they cut back the number of people out on the floor refolding things and working on presentation and just started piling heaps of cheap things up on tables. The next survey six months later said that customers hated how the store looked and that it'd turned into a bargain basement type thing, and wouldn't mind paying a bit more to shop somewhere that looked better.

rupertt

Post by rupertt » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 am

this is kinda killing me, i was just about to go and get a V-Synth(no GT), I can wait 2 weeks, but if they release an updated version and maybe 1k cheaper the older models will hopefully become cheaper too.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:15 am

I doubt the original V-Synth will get any cheaper, I've seen them for $700 and they're worth at least twice that. Would be pretty cool if they brought out a three octave one though, I'm sure Tallow would cream his pants. :D

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:44 pm

They uploaded this a couple of days ago.

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:06 pm

"The spirit of a Legend Re-emerges."

Are they saying they (Roland) will spring board a new product off the name of one of their legendary products of the past. I don't believe it. No way. It will never happen.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:37 pm

I just hope this is not just more of their famous marketing hype. ;)

I'm actually pretty interested in what will happen, they have a chance to do something good here and I can't be the only one who thinks it's about time they made a synth engine not based on the JP/Fantom, it really feels like time for something new/different from these guys.

Yes admittedly we synth heads may be a relatively niche market here, but come on, if they can cater for the wealthy accordionist who wants a freaking 4k MIDI Accordion then I do have to wonder... :roll:

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:07 pm

I hear it's a $500 Jupiter 8.

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I hear it's a $500 Jupiter 8.
They already done that. And it didn't sell well... I used to own it. It was called the "VariOS".

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:37 pm

varios - yet another product roland released and just abandoned. like so many other things, if they had built an SDK and opened it up to developers there would probably be a huge library of useful programs for it.

its hard not be cynical with roland these days :(

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:54 pm

They didn't abandon the varios, they refined the concept and turned it into the vsynth. I have one, it's awesome.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:01 pm

The sounds from the video are interesting.