Roland Connect - Countdown!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Gianni

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Post by Gianni » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:26 am

F*** YOU ROLAND!

But this is April fool's, right? ;)

Please? :?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:40 am

Please, tell me more about your opinion of something you haven't used, seen, heard, touched etc. Oh, and maybe you should write a letter to Mr. Kakehashi telling him how your opinion of what can be called a Jupiter is more valid than his.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:41 am

depulse wrote:Modeling analog synths was done long before anyone managed to do a good piano emulation.
Simply not true. At the point at which people were trying to do a good piano emulation, no one cared about doing an analog synth emulation.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:54 am

Augment wrote:...At least you can't fault them for the tagline "Metamorphis of a Legend," since it's fairly accurate. They did exactly what it says, took a legend and turned it into something completely different.
Diplomatically well said, sir. :)

I'll have to reserve my opinion on this one, could still be alright - really depends on the sound shaping it offers.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:54 pm

the jupiter-80 is certainly getting the most attention but it is possible roland might have other products to debut as Music Mess. they don't have any grooveboxes or the MV-8800 on their US site anymore so there could be something new on that front. there could be OS updates for some of the high-end products.

but as for the niche guys like us, i'm sure they are perfectly content to concede the market to (presumably) Korg and the boutique manufacturers. the jupiter-80 could have been a kronos-like synthesizer but roland went in a totally opposite direction.

depulse
Gear: List is too long, analog and digital synths and samplers....

Post by depulse » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:02 pm

volumetrik wrote:muffwiggler pictures...

So me guess was spot on. :mrgreen:

Anyone wants next weeks lotto numbers also?

Korg TritonExtr+MOSSRoland XV5080+D550+MKS80+MKS70+MKS7+MKS50+S550+JP8080+Juno60+JD990, ATC1, ESQM Yamaha A5k+An1x+SY77+TG77+TX802+TX7 Akai S5k+MPC1k, Mopho, Blofeld, EMaxRack, NordRack2, Indigo2, Rogue, MD, Linndrum, Pro1, Drumulator, M1AM1, Pulse

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:05 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
depulse wrote:Modeling analog synths was done long before anyone managed to do a good piano emulation.
Simply not true. At the point at which people were trying to do a good piano emulation, no one cared about doing an analog synth emulation.
I believe he was specifically talking about the technology behind Physically modelling a piano with mathematical models E.G Pianoteq/roland v-piano. I think at this point it might be a good idea to point out that the first physical modelling instrument (the yamaha Vl1) and the First virtual analogue (Nord lead) were both released in the same year.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:58 am

Have you guys all missed the fact that on top of modelling acoustic instruments it also says it models synths?

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:01 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Have you guys all missed the fact that on top of modelling acoustic instruments it also says it models synths?

Actually, yes i did

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:02 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Have you guys all missed the fact that on top of modelling acoustic instruments it also says it models synths?
No, but personally I'm more interested in the acoustic instrument modelling section of it. I have enough VA synth stuff in software. But physical models of instruments is personally just more interesting to me.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:17 am

I'm interested to see how the modeling manifests itself, if there was the ability to morph a string sound into a synth sound or whatever that would be pretty cool.

As always the true value of an instrument isn't what it's used for in the factory demos, it's what people can get it to do when they start pushing the boundaries in using it how it wasn't intended to be used.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:52 am

Yeah, true but seems a bit strange to me if they only release it in a 76 key form - I can't be the only one who's studio isn't big enough - then again it is aimed at live performance.

Which is another thing I don't really get, why there targeting the live market. I mean there must be heaps more semi pro's out there who just want the thing for in the studio, where is the knob festooned synth for sound designers and sonic explorers these days?

And again, the real question is, is it priced at all within what people are prepared to fork out?, my first guess is apart from a select few like Jordan Rudess and Richard Devine and his ilk who seem to get one of everything and turf it like the rest of us change socks, probably not...

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:49 am

It's a flagship synth so 76 isn't that strange. I imagine there will be smaller, cheaper variations later on, like what Kurzweil did with the pc3.

It's pretty funny how people on this forum were hoping for a new Roland synth engine instead of something related to the jp8000, and then when it happened they complain that it can do more than just synth sounds. :D

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:05 am

Hybrid88 wrote: Which is another thing I don't really get, why there targeting the live market. I mean there must be heaps more semi pro's out there who just want the thing for in the studio, where is the knob festooned synth for sound designers and sonic explorers these days?
It's called a modular.

and failing that, software :D

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:50 am

Did a quick mockup of a 61 key version, this is more like what I would grab :)
Last edited by Hybrid88 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.