Roland Connect - Countdown!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
smoothcriminal

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Post by smoothcriminal » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:56 am

hey its possible, didn't that giant korg workstation that just get announced also get a 61 key version?

Augment

Post by Augment » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:40 am

The Kronos comes in 61, 76, and 88 key flavors. The 61 key is $3000, with the 88 key topping out at $3800.

Overall, this Jupiter 80 looks like a pretty good instrument in its own right. The rumored $3500-$4000 price tag seems a bit steep for something that's more than a VA style synth, but not quite a workstation. If someway, somehow they managed to get a 61 key priced closer to the $2000-$2500 mark, I'd be pretty excited about it. I'm in love with the idea of something that has all your piano, string, etc modeled sounds, has a intuitive / fun yet deep programming interface, but forgoes the built-in DAW aspect of a workstation for the sake of a more attractive price.

As it stands from a purely speculative, pre-release opinion, if I had to choose between dropping $3000+ on a huge keyboard, I'd probably eye the Kronos for getting a bit more bang for the buck (even if the "extras" aren't essential to me) as opposed to spending more for a board without those features.

Either way, I'll certainly give each a bit of time once they hit the music shops.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:51 am

Just checked in, saw the news, and let me say, I'm not amused.
Let's give it time; See how it goes, but until then, I just don't know.

Not sure why this had to be a poem though.
soundcloud.com/vectron

philip

Post by philip » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:10 pm

My sister sad that it looks like fake comparing to а jupiter 8
Last edited by philip on Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:16 pm

I fear this one will flop if it's about the same price as the Kronos.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:27 am

:?

What's with all the random placed buttons on the bottom front?

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:15 am

With all the people crying about wanting Roland to bring back the jupiter 8, this "80" is a (haha)funny move(or typical?). Obviously Roland knew that people really wanted a new (analog) Jupiter 8, since they made this thing look like the 8.

What is it that makes Roland hear the demand and create something completely different in tradition to a classic? Reminds me of when people wanted them to bring back the TB303 and they brought out the MC303 groove box(or every other rehash for that matter). Why not just give the damn thing a different name all together. I guess no other synths Roland make are forward thinking except the jupiters in this case. Too bad for once Roland couldn't just listen to the people. I want a new synth in tradition to being analog sound rather than looks.
‹‡›

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:36 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Please, tell me more about your opinion of something you haven't used, seen, heard, touched etc. Oh, and maybe you should write a letter to Mr. Kakehashi telling him how your opinion of what can be called a Jupiter is more valid than his.

Didn't realize that was the actual Jup80. :shock: (It was out on April 1st)

We'll have to wait and see.

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:17 am

D-Collector wrote:Image

:?

What's with all the random placed buttons on the bottom front?
seems a nod to the JP4

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:38 am

So now you're complaining that it has TOO MANY buttons? More control surface, less. What do you want? come on.

boreg

Post by boreg » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:14 am

He's not complaining about the quantity of buttons, but about their placement (the ones in front of the keyboard - didn't even notice them at first).
And TBH I agree.
Maybe the logic is revealed on closer inspection, but on this picture they do seem to be randomly scattered there.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:32 am

It seems to me that the buttons on the front edge might have something to do with the articulation engine that Roland has put in to make things more expressive. They could be split or patch recall buttons as well, having there on the front would be great for being able to change that kind of thing without having to take your hands off the keys.

I'm kind of a bit lost as to who these people are that love the Jupiter 8 but aren't interested in a performance synth. The JP8 didn't have midi so it wasn't a sequence and tweak kind of synth, unless you're just using the arpeggiator. Are the people spending $5000+ on JP8s really just latching the arp and tweaking the sliders? If so that's a little mind boggling to me.

Re: the 76 key discussion it seems to me that the top panel controls would easily fit into a 61 key board, note the unused space to the right of the controls.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:38 am

tekkentool wrote:So now you're complaining that it has TOO MANY buttons? More control surface, less. What do you want? come on.
Not complaining, just curious about what the buttons are for and why they are placed in such a random manner. And Stab Frenzy's explanation might be right. ;)

Robo-2k
Gear: DX7-II FD, Nord Wave, Prophet '08, DW-8000, JX-8P, Polysix, JV-1080, Matrix 6R, Matrix 1000

Post by Robo-2k » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:42 am

Roland is like an aged primadonna whose skin is wrinkled, yet is desperately trying to look like in her old and glorious days. But all this makeup, facelift and botox can't distract over the fact that her time has long gone and that there are younger alternatives.

Thanks Roland, but no thanks.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:45 am

Robo-2k wrote:Roland is like an aged primadonna whose skin is wrinkled, yet is desperately trying to look like in her old and glorious days. But all this makeup, facelift and botox can't distract over the fact that her time has long gone and that there are younger alternatives.

Thanks Roland, but no thanks.

Oh? so you know the exact specs of this unit, have played it and know how it sounds?