Roland Connect - Countdown!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:01 am

I'm glad this thread finally boiled down to the essence of modern VSE: snarky comments and tireless bitching.

Hooray!
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:27 am

tallowwaters wrote:I'm glad this thread finally boiled down to the essence of modern VSE: snarky comments and tireless bitching.

Hooray!
I don't like this comment because it's just not like the mod quotes of yesteryear. Can't we get back to a warmer, fatter sort of mod comment?
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Max Websta
Gear: Minimoog,Clavinet C, Oberheim OB-SX, Yamaha YC-45D,K2vx,Yamaha EX5, Ensoniq ASR 10,Chroma Polaris, Oberheim Dx,Tascam 388 and Tascam Sx-1Le,

Post by Max Websta » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:09 am

:facepalm:

It must be my loss, because I couldn't make my Jupiter 8 sound like this no matter how hard I tried!

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:46 am

philip wrote:http://link.brightcove.com/services/pla ... 9775809001

this is bad really bad
I love the part, about 30 secs into the second vid, where the performer suggests it's always nice to have a good piano sound, and there is a resounding "whoa", from the one audience member! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Do you even post on vse bro?

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:38 am

Yes, what a terrible tragedy that the Jupiter 8 so completely failed at it's intended purpose: being a live simulator of acoustic instruments.

Make up your mind Gainsay. One minute you want to lean on The Intended Purpose of synthesizers and the next- divine the purpose from what USERS do with the piece. TR 808. Failure or success?
Depends.

So okay we've learned that the Jupiter name has been been used for an ACOUSTIC INSTRUMENT-THEMED SYNTHESIZER. So now we have accepted...
1) Roland has NOT made an UBER-ANALOGUE-SYNTH
as if there was ANY indication that they would.
2) The number Two of the big three has not surpassed a previous offering in the minds of Roland-Clan-er-ers..
hey that happens sometimes. It's the only way to make a classic right.
3) Sometimes manufactures make a product that isn't designed for you, your music or your hobby.
shocking I know.

The only question is, have they succeeded in WHAT THEY WERE TRYING TO DO?
Does it sound like a passable/useable emulation of an acoustic instrument?
Better than previous ROMplers?
Better than previous Roland offerings?
Will it have PATCHES or sound categories that sound better (to some) than the KRONOS?
Will some prefer the sounds in their motif?

Will life go on? Will you continue to make albums and sounds and post about Vintage Synths?
Are your dreams of Roland making another JUPITER dashed by their usage of the name?
Is it possible, if analogue becomes sexy again, someone else will make a synth that surpasses whatever level you placed the Jupe on and it won't need the name to be added in to your gear list?

Oh wait, this just in.
HOLY COW!!!
Duncan just released a new product and it isn't as good as their ProYo Yo-Yo Translucent from 76'.
Duncan Sucks.
3/31/2010 - Hyper Yo-Yo!
Duncan's first model in Bandai's Hyper Yo-Yo lineup has been
released.
Story here: http://www.yo-yo.com/news.asp
http://www.yo-yo.com/news.asp
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Post by Villi » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:09 am

Only thing you can be more sure of than people complaining on VSE is that people will complain about people complaining on VSE. Don't worry, I'm here to complain about that too.

mute

Post by mute » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:14 am

One thing you can say regardless. Look towards the JP-80 to be lambasted forever. It will go down as one of the lamest "synths" in history. It's unavoidable and all the Roland haters will grow to cherish it as an easy target when they need to point to something.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:22 am

Villi wrote:Only thing you can be more sure of than people complaining on VSE is that people will complain about people complaining on VSE...
Too true :clap:

Pretty hypocritical when you think about it. :roll:

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:25 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote: I don't like this comment because it's just not like the mod quotes of yesteryear. Can't we get back to a warmer, fatter sort of mod comment?
Don't you mean Phatter mod comment?
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:35 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:
Villi wrote:Only thing you can be more sure of than people complaining on VSE is that people will complain about people complaining on VSE...
Too true :clap:

Pretty hypocritical when you think about it. :roll:
Well, my complaining has a purpose in that maybe somebody will read it, think "man, I sure am bitching about something that, truthfully, really doesn't matter because I'm not going to buy it." (doubtful, but what the h**l)

I'm not entirely sure what response other people are expecting when they b***h about something that is completely out of their hands. I mean, I could complain about Taco Bell shrimp tacos all damn day, but it's just easier to not buy them and go about eating shrimp tacos from somewhere else.

I don't know, maybe it's just me and my love of playing synths as opposed to talking about them.

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:42 pm

VSE doesn't mean virtual synth explorers. At some point, I expect people here to not be too much excited about new technologies. Would you expect people from a vintage cars forum to be excited about the new Lexus or whatever else?

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:50 pm

Then again, define 'vintage'. VSE exists since 1996 (it says on the front page), it's now 2011. Give or take a few months, a JP8 was as old during the start of VSE as an XP80 is today. Is an XP80 also vintage? That, and since then the amount of radically new technologies is rather scarce if you ask me. It's mainly about more sample ROM or slightly new ways to play sawtooths 'n stuff when things are VA.

I get the impression that the border between being vintage and being not vintage sits the JV1080.. am I right? :P Another possible border may be at VST plugins, or predecessors like Rebirth338.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:57 pm

tallowwaters wrote:...I don't know, maybe it's just me and my love of playing synths as opposed to talking about them.
I do understand your point but this is exactly part of the problem, some people are projecting their own ideas and misconceptions onto other people - there is this very noticeable trend round here these days to be "anti analog elitist", to the point where it almost feels bad to say you like vintage gear, because someone is going to think you have a massive collection of old synths and never play them, see what I'm getting at here? ;)

I for one would like this place to get back to more about what is good about both new and vintage synths and praise them both for their advantages and sonic characters, there used to be great threads around a few years ago but some of the more friendly and knowledgeable members have left and let me just say it is pretty noticeable reading some of the recent bitchfests...

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:45 pm

On the flip side of the coin:

I think the Vintage Synth Owner is a castle under constant siege.
Ignoring the early years and acoustic instrument emulations....

We jump to the VA/digital in the Dark Ages. Almost died during those campaigns.
The ROMpler was a great adversary in the middle ages.
Next was the VST Battles...you remember the Clone Wars.
Now it's the Legacy being taken over by foreigners. Voyager...Juno....Jupiter...
Those are the spies in Stratego.

The more I think about it, I don't blame the VSOs for raising the draw bridge every-time someone comes over the hill.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:19 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:...I don't know, maybe it's just me and my love of playing synths as opposed to talking about them.
I do understand your point but this is exactly part of the problem, some people are projecting their own ideas and misconceptions onto other people - there is this very noticeable trend round here these days to be "anti analog elitist", to the point where it almost feels bad to say you like vintage gear, because someone is going to think you have a massive collection of old synths and never play them, see what I'm getting at here? ;)
It doesn't matter if people collect synths, and I certainly don't mind others talking about them, but like I said, I just don't get the ceaseless griping about new synth x. It just seems to utterly banal and pointless to impotently b***h and moan about this kind of thing.