Roland Connect - Countdown!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Post by StepLogik » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:27 pm

he didn't even bother to comb his hair or put on a decent shirt :lol: its like he just got out of bed

GameChanger
Gear: MPC60

Post by GameChanger » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:34 pm

I dont know why you guys are complaining, you do know it does come with D-Beam right!!! haha

polardark

Post by polardark » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:18 pm

It's good to see that Roland is continuing their full-on assrape on valued brands. Roland must be a company completely in the hand of clueless marketing staff.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:26 pm

This er, new Roland Jupiter 80, reminds me of the Corgi Cars made in the 1990s onwards. If you look at the die cast detail of the 60s -70s Corgi cars, they are full of intricate detail right to the spokes on the wheels (e-type as exampled), but the new ones made today, mass produced in China, usually, are missing the little details that made the early Corgi cars so collectible.

Other than that, I don't know what to say. I suppose the proof is in the puddin'.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:08 pm

polardark wrote:Roland must be a company completely in the hand of clueless marketing staff.
I suppose time will tell on this one, but haven't they exploited their legacy product names successfully in the past and made mad profits before? Hardly a bad marketing decision if that's true, just a depraved one in the opinion of a tiny subset of their intended market.

Seems to me the only group that's really pissed off about this is the group they want to be alienated from: Namely members of this forum and similar mindsets who want a product that won't make them any money, so they will never make one.

I want MFB and Tom Oberheim to make an analog polysynth. f**k Roland, they're the anti-christ.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:19 pm

Wow.
I'm thinking about what Stabby said about the future... and even though I ribbed him for it in a way, I have to agree. I just watched Howard Jones... a guy who basically showed how synthesizers could be used to create really emotionally compelling pop (and had a unique sound that had not been heard before, both in style and synth sounds)... play a "groundbreaking" synth with a rehashed name, and sounds that... to me... sounded like they could have been done with a goddamned M1. These are dark times. I think boutique designers are the only ones keeping the spirit of synthesis alive.

On the plus side, at least the VO guy in the Roland video could pronounce "timbre" correctly.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:58 pm

Well said.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:32 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Wow.
I'm thinking about what Stabby said about the future... and even though I ribbed him for it in a way, I have to agree. I just watched Howard Jones... a guy who basically showed how synthesizers could be used to create really emotionally compelling pop (and had a unique sound that had not been heard before, both in style and synth sounds)... play a "groundbreaking" synth with a rehashed name, and sounds that... to me... sounded like they could have been done with a goddamned M1. These are dark times. I think boutique designers are the only ones keeping the spirit of synthesis alive.

On the plus side, at least the VO guy in the Roland video could pronounce "timbre" correctly.
I couldn't disagree more. I'm an owner of many classic synths including the CS80, T8 and Jupiter 6. I find this one of the most exciting releases in a long time. This is a real synthesizer, in the very truest sense, and in 21st century terms. It's a performance instrument - a players instrument. It has a magnificent sound and jaw-dropping features and looks. Roland have taken a lot of flack, especially here, of late but they know exactly what they are doing. This is an extremely powerful players instrument and is more than worthy of the Jupiter name. If you want the original - there are plenty on sale on ebay; but here roland have shown their very best - stunning design and quality and a modern, forward thinking and innovative instrument. They have ALWAYS been about performance - something many on this forum have forgotten - from the VP330 to the JP8 all the way to the V-Synth GT. That's their strength and they've shown it again here, in spades. It has many, MANY new performance features that are not available elsewhere - that's the hallmark of synthesizers - a new instrument with new posibilities.

I personally am very, VERY excited about this release and will get one the minute it's available. This is a magnificent, brave and truly exciting release by Roland. I tip my hat to them.

Kevin.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:53 pm

knolan wrote:I couldn't disagree more. I'm an owner of many classic synths including the CS80, T8 and Jupiter 6. I find this one of the most exciting releases in a long time. This is a real synthesizer, in the very truest sense, and in 21st century terms. It's a performance instrument - a players instrument. It has a magnificent sound and jaw-dropping features and looks. Roland have taken a lot of flack, especially here, of late but they know exactly what they are doing. This is an extremely powerful players instrument and is more than worthy of the Jupiter name.
I don't know if I'm being reductionist, here... but isn't this basically the same thing as the recent and exciting Korg release, but a day late and a dollar short?
Also, I fully recognize the benefits of having a performance instrument. But I think both Korg and Roland are engaging a shitload of hype by trying to connect their modern products to unrelated (and in some cases unwarranted) hype. If you have a great product, you don't need to couch it in bullshit adspeak, hinted connections at past successful products (yes, and I feel that way about the "Minimoog" Voyager, too), and etc. (although I know that that is the name of the game in marketing these days- but I don't have to just accept it)
knolan wrote:If you want the original - there are plenty on sale on ebay;
Given my reputation, I can understand why you'd infer that that premise existed in my statement... but I can assure you it doesn't. I don't give a s**t about the Jupiters. I recognize that people enjoy them, but they're not my kind of deal. I also don't care if Roland wants to use the Jupiter name... although obviously doing so leads people to some conclusions- which is great if the people with the conclusions are people who don't know anything and don't realize their conclusions aren't being met, but sort of bad marketing when people are disappointed because the conclusions are found to be false. Luckily, it's a small demographic who would be excited about a Jupiter revamp- but why piss off even a small demographic?
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

polardark

Post by polardark » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:22 pm

knolan wrote:This is a real synthesizer, in the very truest sense, and in 21st century terms.
I'm not throwing my modular synth out just yet though...

I can buy the argument about it being a performance instrument, but that's not exactly virgin territory. Besides, it's lacking a lot of modern features that we're starting to expect, like integrated USB audio interface or memory card slot for instrument samples. Sure, it can record to a usb memory - but only one stereo track. (What's up with that?)

This isn't exactly a flagship instrument - and Roland knows it.
knolan wrote:It has a magnificent sound and jaw-dropping features and looks.
The Metasonix instruments have jaw-dropping looks. This one doesn't. Do they make a Jupiter-80 with a Retarded Animal Babies theme? I would buy that!

Primal Drive

Post by Primal Drive » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:29 pm

Why does every post about a new synth sound like it's coming from a hot flashing crone that hasn't been laid in years? Damn, you guys sound like you're seriously missing d**k in a bad way.

The Jupiter 80 isn't meant to lick your sagging dried out cunts, but rather, to provide a modern synth for those who ACTUALY PLAY A KEYBOARD LIVE.

The Kronos and the Jupiter 80 are both the future of performing synthesis and if it's too much for you then crawl back into your caves and live in the past.

This bitching is a prime example of how much fan boys obsess over old sounds rather that what can be created with new technology. You don't care about music, you just want old sounds that don't really matter any more.

Old synths are cool. But new synths are cool too. Live with it.
And then she said, "What the f...?"

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:49 pm

Primal Drive wrote:Why does every post about a new synth sound like it's coming from a hot flashing crone that hasn't been laid in years? Damn, you guys sound like you're seriously missing d**k in a bad way.

The Jupiter 80 isn't meant to lick your sagging dried out cunts, but rather, to provide a modern synth for those who ACTUALY PLAY A KEYBOARD LIVE.

The Kronos and the Jupiter 80 are both the future of performing synthesis and if it's too much for you then crawl back into your caves and live in the past.

This bitching is a prime example of how much fan boys obsess over old sounds rather that what can be created with new technology. You don't care about music, you just want old sounds that don't really matter any more.

Old synths are cool. But new synths are cool too. Live with it.
Sounds like you are in the wrong forum. :?

Primal Drive

Post by Primal Drive » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:56 pm

Sounds like you are in the wrong forum. :?

I thiink you're right. :lol:
And then she said, "What the f...?"

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:43 am

There's nothing, and I mean nothing, that can replace a minimoog or moog modular. And to me, the CS80 is a pinnacle of musical instrument design - literally up there with the piano and violin. So you'll get no argument from me on the importance and true quality of the synths that 'made' the electronic music era; or on the importance of this forum.

But, despite some of the legitimate criticism we all put forward on many modern synthesizers (mine is on Yamaha's Motif range); I genuinely do believe the Jupiter 80 has real quality and deserves serious consideration. Admittedly the name is contentious, but I suggest that the instrument is a very well thought out one. (I also own and use the OASYS and, like Kronos, it has seriously deep synthesizer engines - Korg mean business with these instruments too; and their release of the great but ridiculously cheap iMS20, Monotron and now Monotribe suggests they are also serious in all aspects of modern synthesizer technology).

So I'm not looking to disrespect purist views on vintage or analogue (on the contrary these types of instruments need champions) and I fully understand the resistance to the likes of the Jupiter 80; but I do believe that in this instance, Roland have released a serious new synthesizer. There's a h**l of a lot of thought and design gone into this thing, in a very high quality package, using truly awesome technology. I'm just delighted that in 2011 that the likes of Roland are prepared to take a risk and release such an instrument.

Kevin.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:53 am

Will the people who honestly expected that the Jupiter 80 was going to be an analog synth, as well as those people who are mad that the Jupiter 80 isn't "vintage" enough in its focus, please raise their hands?

Anyone?