Page 15 of 18

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:16 am
by adhmzaiusz
D-Collector wrote: I have a more fitting name, the U-80.
Is that as in "Uranus 80"? :lol:

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:32 am
by nuketifromorbit
tallowwaters wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:...I don't know, maybe it's just me and my love of playing synths as opposed to talking about them.
I do understand your point but this is exactly part of the problem, some people are projecting their own ideas and misconceptions onto other people - there is this very noticeable trend round here these days to be "anti analog elitist", to the point where it almost feels bad to say you like vintage gear, because someone is going to think you have a massive collection of old synths and never play them, see what I'm getting at here? ;)
It doesn't matter if people collect synths, and I certainly don't mind others talking about them, but like I said, I just don't get the ceaseless griping about new synth x. It just seems to utterly banal and pointless to impotently b***h and moan about this kind of thing.
thanks for the offer, but the something like the br600 is kind of over kill for what I need. Plus I want something a bit smaller.

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:47 am
by Stab Frenzy
Hybrid88 wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:...I don't know, maybe it's just me and my love of playing synths as opposed to talking about them.
I do understand your point but this is exactly part of the problem, some people are projecting their own ideas and misconceptions onto other people - there is this very noticeable trend round here these days to be "anti analog elitist", to the point where it almost feels bad to say you like vintage gear, because someone is going to think you have a massive collection of old synths and never play them, see what I'm getting at here? ;)
I think you're confusing saying you like vintage gear and saying that everything new is automatically s**t, just because it's new. It's the latter which is the problem here.

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:21 am
by Hybrid88
Stab Frenzy wrote:I think you're confusing saying you like vintage gear and saying that everything new is automatically s**t, just because it's new. It's the latter which is the problem here.
Well I do agree there but surely those that think this are in the minority, I mean there is plenty enough cool new stuff these days to suit almost anyone's preferences.

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:11 am
by Reginator
I was very excited when I read that Roland had resurrected the Jupiter. I can't afford the vintage model and figured the 80 would come in near the price of the Andromeda A6. After I saw the pictures and video I thought, "What the f?!" Only four sliders & four knobs for hands on control? No real VCO's?
It broke my heart...

I guess Roland could still come out if it if they put some knobs, sliders, and VCO's in next years model.

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:21 am
by salwa
Here we go again. Unless, of course, last post is sarcastic joke...

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:56 am
by Stab Frenzy
Reginator wrote:I was very excited when I read that Roland had resurrected the Jupiter. I can't afford the vintage model and figured the 80 would come in near the price of the Andromeda A6. After I saw the pictures and video I thought, "What the f?!" Only four sliders & four knobs for hands on control? No real VCO's?
It broke my heart...

I guess Roland could still come out if it if they put some knobs, sliders, and VCO's in next years model.
You're an inch away from a month long ban for that post. If you're not trolling then you really should learn to read a thread before posting.

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:29 pm
by D-Collector
One of the engineers on the Jupiter-80 explains the philosophy behind it:




The basic message is Roland failed to make acoustic sounds with the Jupiter-8 in 1981 and wants to make it right now with the Jupiter-80, in 2011.

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:38 pm
by tallowwaters
nuketifromorbit wrote:
thanks for the offer, but the something like the br600 is kind of over kill for what I need. Plus I want something a bit smaller.

:?

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:46 pm
by polardark
Wow. That musicradar guy looks like he's going to slap the Roland engineer in the face with the microphone.

...but at least it has some sort of VA engine built in? Maybe it's not any worse than the M-Audio Venom.

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:40 pm
by Ashe37
delete

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:43 pm
by Yoozer
Ashe37 wrote:I at least expected some form of VA engine, even just the GAIA's engine... but it doesn't even have that!
It actually has, and it doesn't do the Gaia sync "bug" anymore (going back to mono and disabling the filter).

Look at the screenshot in the brochure. 3 oscillators each with their own filter and everything. Sync and ringmod included. Supersaw, PWM, and sampled waves as source.

How do I know? Because a friend of mine went to the Messe and got to play it for himself (owning a Gaia he knew what to look for) and because a member of the dev team confirmed it to one of the sounddesigners.

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:13 am
by Villi
lol at video "The brand new Jupiter Eight.....y"

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:13 am
by nuketifromorbit
tallowwaters wrote:
nuketifromorbit wrote:
thanks for the offer, but the something like the br600 is kind of over kill for what I need. Plus I want something a bit smaller.

:?
I was trying to respond to a trade offer. I must have typed my response in the wrong window? For what its worth I think my response added a bit of much needed mystery and pizazz to this thread.

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:36 am
by D-Collector