Roland Connect - Countdown!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Doooooooom
Gear: Microkorg, Mopho Keyboard, Korg SP-300 piano, Roland KC-110 amp, Korg Pandora.

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Post by Doooooooom » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:43 pm

I'm more interested in the C-200 because it has fortepiano (also because I could probably never afford the new Jupiter). I think digital keyboards being used to emulate acoustic keyboard instruments is a positive thing because of the size and expense of the real instruments. Even some classical orchestras use digital pianos, for example Andre Rieu, because concert halls usually only have one resident piano and some pieces call for multiple or rare/baroque instruments. I have a problem with a synth being used to 'realistically' emulate a trumpet or a guitar. It's never sounded comfortably real to me before, but even so it just feels wrong, and looks cheesy (?)

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Post by Reginator » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:05 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Reginator wrote:I was very excited when I read that Roland had resurrected the Jupiter. I can't afford the vintage model and figured the 80 would come in near the price of the Andromeda A6. After I saw the pictures and video I thought, "What the f?!" Only four sliders & four knobs for hands on control? No real VCO's?
It broke my heart...

I guess Roland could still come out if it if they put some knobs, sliders, and VCO's in next years model.
You're an inch away from a month long ban for that post. If you're not trolling then you really should learn to read a thread before posting.
Not trolling Stab Frenzy... I just misread/understood the postings. Sorry, won't happen again. :oops:

Primal Drive

Post by Primal Drive » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:25 am

I don't know about you vintage guys but I think this new board is amazing. It offers sounds that I've been trying to recreate for years with my current gear and to me it sounds fantastic.

I couldn't give a half a s**t if it sounds like a Jupiter 8, the realistic sounds it has are just what I've been after for years.

And then she said, "What the f...?"

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:10 am

Primal Drive wrote:I don't know about you vintage guys but I think this new board is amazing. It offers sounds that I've been trying to recreate for years with my current gear and to me it sounds fantastic.

I couldn't give a half a s**t if it sounds like a Jupiter 8, the realistic sounds it has are just what I've been after for years.
and i don't see why those sounds aren't possible on a Fantoim G with the ARX cards, or a motif or god forbid a KRONOS... you now, something 16-way multitimbral instead of 4-way...

And WOW, fading parts in and out with 4 whole faders!!! My M3 only has 8 faders!

Primal Drive

Post by Primal Drive » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:06 am

Ashe37 wrote:
Primal Drive wrote:I don't know about you vintage guys but I think this new board is amazing. It offers sounds that I've been trying to recreate for years with my current gear and to me it sounds fantastic.

and i don't see why those sounds aren't possible on a Fantoim G with the ARX cards, or a motif or god forbid a KRONOS... you now, something 16-way multitimbral instead of 4-way...

And WOW, fading parts in and out with 4 whole faders!!! My M3 only has 8 faders!
The main thing I don't understand is the almost childish bitching about Roland using the Jupiter name for this new board. The classic Jupiters had their time in the lime light, but that's never going to happen again. And even in the remotest of chances if Roland were to make another true analog Jupiter you know damn well that analog aficionados will b***h that it doesn't sound the same. There'll be, "The VCOs are wrong...the filter is weak...the signal path isn't pure analog...blah, blah, blah..."

And to add insult to injury, it more than likely would be VA. How's that for a kick in the ana-LOG? :shock: :lol:

To me, this looks like a great board for playing live. I fully understand that sequencer have their place in both live and studio applications, but what's wrong with having an all-in-one synth for performing when sequencer aren't needed?

All I'm saying is that I like what this synth has to offer. If I'm wrong in your eyes, well then, so be it. Hey, I'm the guy who preferred a Korg Polysix over a Moog system 35 (I'm sure AG would have something to say about that :roll: ).

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:49 am

Primal Drive wrote:All I'm saying is that I like what this synth has to offer. If I'm wrong in your eyes, well then, so be it. Hey, I'm the guy who preferred a Korg Polysix over a Moog system 35 (I'm sure AG would have something to say about that :roll: ).
And you'd be wrong. I would be sorely challenged to care any less than I do about your preferences.

As for "childish bitching:"
Nothing in your complaint-ridden post has anything to do with the fact that people would very reasonably jump to conclusions about the functionality, construction, or sound of a synth based upon a resurrected name of an iconic line of synths. That was Roland's intent. Trying to blame that on the people who were not unreasonably mislead by the hype Roland itself tried to generate is stupid.
You can have your eyeroll back.

P.S. I am going to have to turn in my analog aficionado card, as I don't give a s**t about Jupiters, and don't care even a little bit about this synth's functionality or mode of tone generation. I hope the huge and childishly bitching tribe of VSE members who have glutted this thread with demands about pure analog functionality will forgive me for my analog heresy.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Primal Drive

Post by Primal Drive » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:22 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Primal Drive wrote:All I'm saying is that I like what this synth has to offer. If I'm wrong in your eyes, well then, so be it. Hey, I'm the guy who preferred a Korg Polysix over a Moog system 35 (I'm sure AG would have something to say about that :roll: ).
And you'd be wrong. I would be sorely challenged to care any less than I do about your preferences.

As for "childish bitching:"
Nothing in your complaint-ridden post has anything to do with the fact that people would very reasonably jump to conclusions about the functionality, construction, or sound of a synth based upon a resurrected name of an iconic line of synths. That was Roland's intent. Trying to blame that on the people who were not unreasonably mislead by the hype Roland itself tried to generate is stupid.
You can have your eyeroll back.

P.S. I am going to have to turn in my analog aficionado card, as I don't give a s**t about Jupiters, and don't care even a little bit about this synth's functionality or mode of tone generation. I hope the huge and childishly bitching tribe of VSE members who have glutted this thread with demands about pure analog functionality will forgive me for my analog heresy.
I only posted about what you may care about my choices as mild vituperation. Take it for what it's worth.

I know how you've harped on the fact Bob Moog stated that he intended his Synths for the creation of new and never before heard sounds, but the fact is, by the late 70s, early 80s poly synths were being used to replicate (to a limited degree) string, horn, and even piano sounds in studio and live performance. It's more than reasonable to see Roland trying to produce a keyboard that would offer a musician as best a simulation of those sounds with the existing technology. Whether or not the Jupiter series became famous for it's own distinctive sound is irrelevant.

I don't see Roland trying to mislead anyone using the Jupiter name. In fact, I've yet to see a single post where anyone was mislead by that name (if you were, then you have my sincere condolences).

As for the eye roll comment... :lol:

Primal Drive

Post by Primal Drive » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:32 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:P.S. I am going to have to turn in my analog aficionado card, as I don't give a s**t about Jupiters, and don't care even a little bit about this synth's functionality or mode of tone generation. I hope the huge and childishly bitching tribe of VSE members who have glutted this thread with demands about pure analog functionality will forgive me for my analog heresy.
Tsk,tsk,tsk...

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:09 am

Nice video. The board sounds great to me too, but I prefer different name than the Jupiter. May be something like the U-990 :) the demo sounds more like a super U-220 than a super JP-8.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Primal Drive

Post by Primal Drive » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:52 am

crystalmsc wrote:
Nice video. The board sounds great to me too, but I prefer different name than the Jupiter. May be something like the U-990 :) the demo sounds more like a super U-220 than a super JP-8.
Quit honestly, I'm not trying to start a war with Jupiter 8 enthusiasts. Roland representatives have stated that the original Jupiter line was intended to replicate "natural" sounds using analog technology. If that is in fact so, then I cannot see a problem with them using the Jupiter moniker for this new model.

I agree that it's not the end-all, be-all synth on the market, but what it has to offer makes it an attractive purchase in my future.

FWIW, if Roland had produced a VA version of a Jupiter 8, then I definitely would have found that a disservice to the original moniker to say the least.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:53 pm

I don't know why this seems so prevalent in the musician tools department.
The idea that they don't make them like they used to.
A lot of these synths were hard to maintain when they were new.
Want a beefy analogue? Go buy one.
Want something to make cheesy blips and bloops; visit analogue haven.

I just see so many wanting to grasp an instrument that actually isn't that important in their music.

Analogue drum machine. Monotribe?
For sounds that are EASILY available in so many formats and from different sources- it's ridiculous.
I understand that many of us put the WAY WE WORK ahead of the FINISHED WORK.
It's all about the little details.
I get it.

Want a Jupiter? Go buy one.
Save your pennies, loan out the wife- do what you gotta do.
Who's working on a record that's NEEDS a Jupiter tone or else?

Face it, there's a lot of slapnutz on here who aint buying anything (to compliment their current set up). I just spent three weeks reading and posting in threads where some dude begged for an analogue synth from KORG. Then they do it and ******** thinks since it's $50 bucks too much so he aint buying it.
and more...
Dudes who want an Under $200 toy to control a $3000 set up.
To make records, demos, youtube videos, soundclick uploads. No, tones, no one but them will hear that will form the basis of witty repartee, repostes and sarcastic comebacks.

ATTENTION: AUTOMATIC GAINSAY
1. You are popular on this forum.
2. You have Fans of your work --> videos and such. Count me in.
3. You have been out spoken and are knowledgeable on the subject of VS.
4. You have been Type-cast as the pure Analogue-Synth-Nut
5. Expect/accept the attention. You are loved (in a synth-geek kinda way)

You will need to post nude pictures of yourself laying on top of a VA to shake this notion OR make a video praising the triangle waveform in the microKORG.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

philip

Post by philip » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:55 am

still hope this is some freaking joke.my trinity sounds way way better

Phenom

Post by Phenom » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:48 am

This looks like a strange move all round to me, esp. from a marketing standpoint.

The only people who are really interested in the Jupiter association would be vintage synth enthusiasts who I guess like me, would have very little interest in this synth. No one in that market would be fooled by the name alone as vintage synth people would generally also be programmers, be spec-savvy and know their synths. This seems more aimed at a theatre pit player, for whom the Jupiter 8 associations would be meaningless, and really, most of them would be using hi-spec workstations anyway.

I noticed elsewhere on this thread someone bringing up the example of the MC303 as an example of when things went wrong, but on the contrary I belive it was an example of when things went right. It was a cheap bit of fun aimed at a (most likely young and novice) market who would aspire to own a 303/808/909, but couldn't afford them. For a lot of those people the little MC303 gave them exactly what the wanted. I just can't imagine anyone that aspires to one of the big analogue poly synths also aspiring to own a Jupiter 80.

My last point I guess, and one of the reasons that I still hold out hope for Roland, is that they more than any other of the big 3, have always maintained an interest in supersynths, and I don't mean their "Super" prefix that pops up from time to time on their designs, I mean a big dedicated keyboard synth, state of the art in its own time, cracking good progamming and performing instruments with little comprimise towards the workstation concept, in short- a pure synth. They've done it so well before, the Jupiter 8, the JX10, the D50, the JD800, and their last bona fide classic, the V-synth.

It seems that Roland have completely misjudged the market on this one, and the price point just seems ridiculous. I don't think Roland have made their new Jupiter 8, I think they've just made their new D70.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:43 am

Has anyone stopped for a moment to think that from the perspective of someone who knows nothing at all about Roland's previous synths, Jupiter 80 is a much better name than U-80 or any of the other names that people have suggested in this thread?

FFS, it's just a name.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:11 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Has anyone stopped for a moment to think that from the perspective of someone who knows nothing at all about Roland's previous synths, Jupiter 80 is a much better name than U-80 or any of the other names that people have suggested in this thread?

FFS, it's just a name.
i would love to agree with you stabs, but given roland's history of making liniages of synths identified by a variants name, and that the jupiter liniage is already established and considered one of their best and best known,(the most famous model being the jupiter 8 mind you), AND they recently referenced their old sh linage with a new va, it's clearly not a case where jupiter 80 was just a better name. i would also like to think that roland's marketing people or whoever could come up with better name ideas then people in this thread, but aparantly that's not the case. it might be a great synth, i don't know. it would be foolish to judge it based on it's name, but i knind of think that's just what roland is intending that you do. kind of like when tony iommi went solo with seventh star and the record label (i think warner bors.) released it as a black sabbath album just to boost sales.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...