Roland Connect - Countdown!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Post by Syn303 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:07 pm

danbroad wrote:anybody else hear a lot of D50-alikeness in the music for that ad?
All this talk of D-50's is nonsense...

There is a concert being held at musicmesse on the 8th April, called Night of the 5 keys, one performance will be by Howard Jones,
and we all know what his favourite synth was/is - http://www.rolandmusik.de/nightofthekeysde/

Looks like FutureMusic have spilled the beans... http://futuremusic.com/blog/2011/03/25/ ... -at-messe/
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:55 pm

The terms used in that article such as 'out of touch' sum Roland up quite well.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:04 am

Hmm, the presence of all those different instruments - violin, sax etc, makes me think it's a follow up to the V-Synth GT, with physical modelling taken even further. I hope it's a fusion of a Fantom and a V-Synth, thereby giving Korg some competition (a putting still more pressure on Yamaha).

Edit: just saw the Future Music link. Sure hope that's not the case!

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:12 am

Roland will drop something boring, expensive, and crappy to program that has nothing to do with being creative or even electronic music, we will all rage, and then make fun of the name.

Then we will go back to our flexible DSI, Moog, and Korg gear and forget all about it.
soundcloud.com/vectron

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:40 pm

so they put the gaia in a full-sized case and put the jupiter name on it? :lol:

crofter
Gear: microkorg
KP3
Kaossilator
DS10
Mini KP
alesis Micron
Juno D
Blofeld
Xio synth.
Yamaha PSS-570
Korg Monotron
Korg Microstation

Post by crofter » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:06 pm

Whatever it is, I won't be able to afford one.

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:35 pm

It's a fully analog (where appropriate) groovebox/workstation: a jupe 8, 808, 909, and 303 faithfully reproduced under the hood with both keys and a step sequencer interface, patch memory on all sections, tons of knobs and sliders...

.........Duh!
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:49 pm

I want to believe in Roland but their golden years have passed them bye. Boss pedals is the saving grace and it enables them to flop on about everything else they do. Roland is my favorite music equipment company, but I have not purchased a modern product in a long time(boss excluded).
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:07 am

Sir Nose wrote:It's a fully analog (where appropriate) groovebox/workstation: a jupe 8, 808, 909, and 303 faithfully reproduced under the hood with both keys and a step sequencer interface, patch memory on all sections, tons of knobs and sliders...
.........Duh!
And its the size of an aircraft carrier.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:11 am

Ashe37 wrote:
Sir Nose wrote:It's a fully analog (where appropriate) groovebox/workstation: a jupe 8, 808, 909, and 303 faithfully reproduced under the hood with both keys and a step sequencer interface, patch memory on all sections, tons of knobs and sliders...
.........Duh!
And its the size of an aircraft carrier.

So it'll be equipped with a couple of "decks" then? ;)
Stephen(2)

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:51 pm

StepLogik wrote:so they put the gaia in a full-sized case and put the jupiter name on it? :lol:
this seems a very probably scenario, based on the future music article...

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:14 am

its going to be called the Jupiter-80

http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic. ... 65#p228420

a sales guy i talked to today called it the "jupiter-gaia" and laughed but wouldn't give me any specifics. that is obviously pure speculation.

monoman

Post by monoman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:57 am

I completely agree that Boss is their saving grace. I actually just bought a Boss DD-3.

I'm sure this has been stated but this whole promotion tactic seems awful similar to the Kronos.

"Prepare to be amazed." - Korg

"Prepare for a new musical beginning." - Roland

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:51 am

To me Roland has always been my favorite company, but it's true things have gone downhill since the V-Synth original. All subsequent models always seem to be stripped down versions based on the same, virtually unchanged, mid 90's JP8k synth engine. Even the current flagship synth, the GT has it's quirks which makes me prefer the original V-Synth's architecture.

To me, the SH-201 and GAIA were obviously aimed at the budget market. But this Jupiter 80 could actually be something decent if it's going to be their new flagship synth, since the V-Synth GT has been around for a fair while now.

I'm not too concerned if it isn't analog, but there's two things I hope that it's not;

1. A Rompler

2. Another JP-8000 based synth engine,

...and a nice solid metal chassis wouldn't go astray either, here's hoping this is something nice from these guys 8-)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:56 am

I know complaining about Roland seems to be a favoured pastime around here, but if this is a new flagship synth (which is what the Jupiter name would suggest) then I think we can expect something pretty great. All the bitching seems to ignore that the V-Synth was a big step forward in terms of functionality, UI and control for synths in general when it came out eight years ago. Bits and pieces from the VS (but not the sampler) trickled down to other Roland products over the years, if they're bringing out a new flagship that would tend to indicate an upgraded synth engine (hopefully which includes a sampler).

If it's a Jupiter-80 and it is an upgrade from the V-Synth I think this is a very good thing indeed, even though there will be a stupid amount of whining from the forum anyway.