Roland Connect - Countdown!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Roland Connect - Countdown!

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:00 am

my bet:

Plastic 61- key GAIA.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:21 am

Agreed, I wasn't complaining. I'm with you on this one - an evolution from the V would be fantastic. I think this is going to be something good ;)
Stab Frenzy wrote:I know complaining about Roland seems to be a favoured pastime around here, but if this is a new flagship synth (which is what the Jupiter name would suggest) then I think we can expect something pretty great. All the bitching seems to ignore that the V-Synth was a big step forward in terms of functionality, UI and control for synths in general when it came out eight years ago. Bits and pieces from the VS (but not the sampler) trickled down to other Roland products over the years...

Yeah that's what I was thinking, re the JP8k thing, if it is a flagship a lot more R & D would've gone into it and thus likely a whole new design, including the synth modelling engine.
Stab Frenzy wrote:if they're bringing out a new flagship that would tend to indicate an upgraded synth engine (hopefully which includes a sampler). If it's a Jupiter-80 and it is an upgrade from the V-Synth I think this is a very good thing indeed, even though there will be a stupid amount of whining from the forum anyway.

Distorted_Frequency
Gear: DSI Prophet 08, Univox MiniKorg K2, Roland Juno 106, TR-909. RIP Custom Guitars, Rocktron Prophesy Pre, VHT 2:90:2, Rocktron Midi Mate.
Band: ToxicDose

Post by Distorted_Frequency » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:44 pm

I want to believe Roland will get back into the Analog game. probably not, but a rad VA would be cool.
FAST, LOUD, RUDE!!!

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:35 pm

Distorted_Frequency wrote:I want to believe Roland will get back into the Analog game. probably not, but a rad VA would be cool.
I would also like to see a Hybrid with a great user interface.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:01 pm

I'd wager they are going to revive the Jupiter name . VA little doubt . Weather it will be a synth or a workstation is my only real question I guess . Though I think the Fantom name has probably ran it's brand cycle ....so who knows ?
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:39 pm

As reported earlier, Roland will be debuting the Jupiter 80 keyboard. The new offering will be housed in a metal chassis with aluminum endcaps, like the original. It will have 76 keys and a large touch-screen interface.

The three oscillator synth will follow the same model as recent vintage moniker revamps like the Juno and SH and reportedly incorporate more interesting sound design attributes. As stated earlier, if you’re looking for a straight JP-8 revamp, this probably isn’t going to be your ticket, but it may offer some interesting possibilities, especially if they incorporate some technology from their V-Synth. However, with a price coming in between $3500-$4000, the Jupiter 80 needs to sound massive.

Roland is also said to have some new digital pianos on tap and for Fantom lovers, a new XR 128 voice model for your workstation pleasure.

Source: http://futuremusic.com/blog/2011/03/28/ ... sse-debut/

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:08 am

You guys are all barking up the wrong tree about Jupiter80. It's going to be like a Roland version of the Mellotron but instead of sounds that you construct your own melodies and chords from, it will contain MP3s (320kb!!) of the synth tracks stripped from the multitrack recordings of massive 80s songs (inc Duran Duran of course).

I think 'Save a Prayer lead line' is triggered by pressing C3 and 'Radio Ga-Ga arp' is on A2, there will of course be a hold feature to save your finger muscles.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:48 am

StepLogik wrote:...It will have 76 keys and a large touch-screen interface.
Hmm, 76 keys that's pretty huge for a VA hopefully a 61 key will be available too, not everyone has big studios. 8-)
StepLogik wrote:Roland is also said to have some new digital pianos on tap and for Fantom lovers, a new XR 128 voice model for your workstation pleasure.
Cool, so it sounds like this Jupiter 80 is a full on synth and not a Rompler - damn Roland, leak some info already - I hate waiting :x

Still probably wont be replacing anyones old jupes anytime soon but definitely something to think about ;)

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:51 am

Hybrid88 wrote: Cool, so it sounds like this Jupiter 80 is a full on synth and not a Rompler - damn Roland, leak some info already - I hate waiting :x

Still probably wont be replacing anyones old jupes anytime soon but definitely something to think about ;)
Don't expect the front panel of the JP-80 to have masses of knobs and sliders like the original Jupiter, because it won't.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:08 am

Syn303 wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote: Cool, so it sounds like this Jupiter 80 is a full on synth and not a Rompler - damn Roland, leak some info already - I hate waiting :x

Don't expect the front panel of the JP-80 to have masses of knobs and sliders like the original Jupiter, because it won't.

But it will have aluminum end caps...so glad that that little detail was clarified...endcaps make a HUGE impact on my buying decisions....

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:15 am

And so the crying begins...

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:22 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:And so the crying begins...
Especially with a $3000-$4000 price tag attached to it. :lol:
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:16 am

Most of that price will be for the aluminium...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:44 am

Ah, I don't really care one way or the other, apart from the fact the whining will make reading these forums less fun. But the V-Synth was really expensive when it came out too and I got one cheap when it was discontinued and it made me very happy.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:10 pm

Syn303 wrote:

Sounds fine by me if it's half as well designed as the V-Synth's interface - the touch screen really is a pleasure to use with that machine and you honestly don't even notice that it only has the bare essentials as far as ye olde skool knobbage goes :)

...and I like aluminium end panels - tough practical build quality actually isn't important now or? :D