Building the super juno - a modded 106

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
insilico

Building the super juno - a modded 106

Post by insilico » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:12 am

Ive got a juno 106 and i really like the sound but i just wish it had some more features.

Ive been reading about several mods for other vintage rolands - minerva for juno 60, kiwitechnics mod for the jx3p and of course the junior 106...

Now im wondering if some mods could be done to the 106 to add features like:

- mono/legato
- unison detune / spread
- velocity to filter / env
- extra envelope. Seperate for filter and amp.
- extra lfo shapes
- extra lfo
- ??

I really would love to see this come to fruition and im willing to invest my money towards it. I propose that we could also crowdfund the project through http://www.kickstarter.com

Id like to invite anyone with expertise and ideas to discuss and collaborate on this project.

Lets make the juno the best it can be!

Junior 106 - http://nydell.se/projects/j106/
Diabolical Devices - http://www.classaelectronics.com/analog.html
Synth Spa - http://stores.ebay.com/The-Synth-Spa
Chorus external input - http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 97&start=0

Minerva (Juno 60)
http://midipolis.blogspot.com/
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... -60-a.html
Last edited by insilico on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eucarya

Re: Building the super juno - a modded 106

Post by eucarya » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:26 am

Diabolical Devices does cutoff/res for each voice, individual inputs/outputs, and some cosmetic modding.

Please share anything you find, I'm gonna be opening my 106 up pretty soon here fr some general maintenance and I'm always interested in mods.

I'm a bit confused on the "funding" aspect of yr post. What exactly do you want to fund? Do you have a 106 that yr planning on modding yrself? Or are you trying to find someone else to do this for you?

On a related note, maybe we could use this thread to collect links to existing mods. I'm particularly interested in schematics and pictures...

insilico

Post by insilico » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:17 am

eucarya wrote:Diabolical Devices does cutoff/res for each voice, individual inputs/outputs, and some cosmetic modding.

Please share anything you find, I'm gonna be opening my 106 up pretty soon here fr some general maintenance and I'm always interested in mods.

I'm a bit confused on the "funding" aspect of yr post. What exactly do you want to fund? Do you have a 106 that yr planning on modding yrself? Or are you trying to find someone else to do this for you?

On a related note, maybe we could use this thread to collect links to existing mods. I'm particularly interested in schematics and pictures...

Ah yes diabolical devices, i forgot about them.
Theres also allen from synth spa who does restoration and some led/cosmetic mods. He's also almost ready to release another cool mod and is planning a very BIG mod for the future. Ill have to ask if he wants to announce it yet.

Theres also a chorus input mod i read of (on vse i think). I will collect some links when i get home tonight. Have a look at the links in my first post.

To answer your questions,
Yes i have a juno 106 i want to mod. Unfortunately though i dont have the skills or means to modify the firmware myself. Hence the funding will be for someone(s) to develop the mod, and to manufacture a limited run.

Also, By using kickstarter, the mod kits could be presold to whoever pays $xxx (ie full price, which is to be determined). If you pay less than the that you get a discount on the kit, etc. The cool thing about kickstarter is that the project wont go ahead unless it reaches its funding target. This removes a lot of financial risk from the project.

Ive spoken with the developer of the minerva mod and he said the mod is possible to do but maybe not economical. He quoted 30 units sold for it to be feasible. I think it would be possible to sell much more than that, given the popularity of the juno 106 and the shear quantity that were produced. Perhaps a run of 50 or even 100?
Last edited by insilico on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eucarya

Post by eucarya » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:51 am

Where are you going to get 50 to 100 106s? Seems a bit ambitious... That's about $25,000-50,000 for a project that probably won't see that much of a return fr the time put in, etc. I don't think there's enough of a demand fr modded, entry level vintage.

It makes more sense to collect info on mods, find someone capable, and then pay them to mod yr 106. I'm personally interested in modding the 106, but would like more examples and possible schematics of previous mods, etc.

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:33 am

- mono/legato
- unison detune / spread
That would require writing completely new OS for it.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

insilico

Post by insilico » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:33 am

eucarya wrote:Where are you going to get 50 to 100 106s? Seems a bit ambitious... That's about $25,000-50,000 for a project that probably won't see that much of a return fr the time put in, etc. I don't think there's enough of a demand fr modded, entry level vintage.
slight miscommunication... i am planning to develop/build 50 to 100 MOD KITS only. very much like the minerva mod kit. people will buy the mod kit and get it installed in their own juno. i am not intending to to buy all the synths and mod them, only develop the mod kit and sell it.
eucarya wrote:It makes more sense to collect info on mods, find someone capable, and then pay them to mod yr 106.
This thread is one of the first steps in that process ;)
eucarya wrote:I'm personally interested in modding the 106, but would like more examples and possible schematics of previous mods, etc.
See my edited first post with links
Last edited by insilico on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

insilico

Post by insilico » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:53 am

adamstan wrote:
- mono/legato
- unison detune / spread
thats the plan ;)

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:54 pm

insilico wrote:
adamstan wrote:
- mono/legato
- unison detune / spread
thats the plan ;)
the 106 uses multiple CPU's but you may be able to get away with just altering the code in the master CPU, depending on your final goal.