Noisy Buttons on Machinedrums (and presumably MNM's)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Elandroth
Gear: Nord Lead 2X, DSI MEK PE, Roland D-50/Juno-60/TR-707, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Casio CZ-5000, Elektron MD UW+

Noisy Buttons on Machinedrums (and presumably MNM's)

Post by Elandroth » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm

I love my machinedrum, but one thing I was pretty disappointed about when it finally arrived is how the buttons feel and sound. I was hoping for something a little softer with firmer action, like a durable rubber or something. Whatever though, I got over my desire for a different material - but there is one thing that is continually annoying me: how noisy the f**k are! They like to click and clack, and sometimes little chirps and squeaks from the plastic against the aluminum if a button isn't pushed directly downward. I was hoping this would go away in time, but I've had it since November and as far as I can tell there hasn't been any noticeable change.

Anyone have any clever solutions? Does opening up the chassis void any sort of warranty?

Augment

Re: Noisy Buttons on Machinedrums (and presumably MNM's)

Post by Augment » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:15 pm

Both my MD and Mono are the same way, so unless someone else says otherwise, I guess It's just the way they're designed. I don't think anything can really be done about it. It took me a while to get used to, but I can see why they are that way. They're springy and loose so they can be suited for live playing without fear of missing a trigger due to not hitting it "dead center" with a specific velocity, etc.

The Octatrack has softer, rubbery triggers that still have the same action but without the slight flaws.

On the bright side, despite the clicking and squeaking, they seem to be extremely durable, as I've never had an issue with the triggers not working, nor have I read anyone else lamenting that say, trigger 11 stopped working on theirs.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:41 pm

Is there room to put a 2mm sheet of foam or even felt between the buttons and the switches?
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:25 pm

My solution is to raise the monitor levels until the clacking goes away. So instead of "clack clack clack" I hear "BOOM BOOM THWACK". :D

Elandroth
Gear: Nord Lead 2X, DSI MEK PE, Roland D-50/Juno-60/TR-707, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Casio CZ-5000, Elektron MD UW+

Post by Elandroth » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:48 pm

rhino wrote:Is there room to put a 2mm sheet of foam or even felt between the buttons and the switches?

I'd love to investigate possible harmless mods but I'm not sure about voiding my warranty. =P

I guess I'll have to e-mail Elektron.

garranimal wrote:My solution is to raise the monitor levels until the clacking goes away. So instead of "clack clack clack" I hear "BOOM BOOM THWACK". :D

Yeah that works most of the time, but I often bring it with me with headphones to school and f**k around during downtime in the library and study centers, etc. Even in non-quiet areas I get looks. Probably more due to some guy playing with a weird box and headphones rather than the noise - but in my head the damn buttons must be chirping and that's why they're looking at me! At night too when I keep things low so as to not rock out the roommate or neighbors, I'm sure the button sounds aren't bothering others but they drive me NUTS.
Last edited by Elandroth on Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Post by edfunction » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:50 pm

Funny, I never really paid any attention to it.
I quite like it now that I'm more aware of it....

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:34 am

I've had mine for a couple of years and only after fiddling with it last week did I start to notice. Strange, and then this thread appears. Normally clunky keys on a synth irks me a bit, but I hadn't noticed my MD doing it for a long time. I could definitely see where the clunky sounds wouldn't bode well in a study hall.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:38 am

yeah I get annoyed by that too..

but churning up the volume or just wearing a headset when fine-programming eliminates a lot of frustration, atleast for me :lol:

didn't pay attention to the fact that the octatrack buttons are different, cant wait to try that one out one day ;)